SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2008, 12:40 AM   #21
mkaresh
Advanced Member
mkaresh is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 2007 Outlook Transmission Problems!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yama1yzf View Post
I have to assume it didn't take but how that is possible I am not sure. It just doesn't shift right period. My '08 CTS has quite possibly the best auto tranny I have sampled and I have had and still have a lot of cars. What I don't get is I had a '05 STS with the same engine as the Outlook but it had a 5sp auto which was wonderful. I understand the marketing need for a 6spd so I guess that's progress. It's due for a service anyway so I'll have them re-flash again.
FWD vs. RWD, so of course totally different transmissions. GM never had a five-speed auto for FWD cars, they went straight from four to six.

Six is viable as long as they get the programming right. Most people seem happy with it now.

Side note on that 2008 CTS: I've got 39 owners signed up so far to participate in TrueDelta's research. Might have enough responses for preliminary results next month. One more would help...

truedelta.com -- need more Saturns!
More useful reliability information -- first info on Aura and Outlook
Price comparisons, quick and thorough

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mkaresh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mkaresh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mkaresh is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2008, 01:13 PM   #22
Pete93SL1M
Pete93SL1M is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaresh View Post
GM never had a five-speed auto for FWD cars, they went straight from four to six.
No, GM never had a GOOD 5-speed auto. ION sedan had one from 2003/2004 from Aisin that had issues. Equinox and VUE also have had 5-speed autos but VUEs was Honda-derived, not sure about the 'nox. Call 'em SUVs all you want, they were and are tall cars.

..aka GMinTheDriveway
Former Saturn Sales Consultant
Give me choices in powertrain, great handling and decent MPG and I will buy a Saturn again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pete93SL1M's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pete93SL1M reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pete93SL1M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:21 AM   #23
Z06jerry
Z06jerry is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XR
Default Re: 2007 & 2008 Outlook Transmission Problems!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMMVMMM View Post
The latest update was released before the 08's were even built, so no need to look for an update if you have an 08.
That's too bad. They don't have it fixed in the '08's! I sure hope GM has something coming soon! GM cannot afford this kind of glaring mis-step, on an otherwise excellent vehicle. This is by far the worst shifting transmission in any vehicle I have ever driven. If the transmission is in full auto mode it actually tries to drive in top gear at as low as 1100 rpm? It is impossible to adjust your speed without a couple of gear changes. and the delay in doing so is dangerous IMO. In the quest for the best EPA Lab test, they provided a shifting program that is not compatible with an AWD vehicle of this size and weight and an engine with limited torque at low rpms.

At the very least, GM probably should have provided a shorter final drive ratio with the AWD's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Z06jerry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Z06jerry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Z06jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 04:44 PM   #24
Yama1yzf
Yama1yzf is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaresh View Post
FWD vs. RWD, so of course totally different transmissions. GM never had a five-speed auto for FWD cars, they went straight from four to six.

Six is viable as long as they get the programming right. Most people seem happy with it now.

Side note on that 2008 CTS: I've got 39 owners signed up so far to participate in TrueDelta's research. Might have enough responses for preliminary results next month. One more would help...

Be happy to participate....let me know how to get in touch with you.

'08 CTS
'08 Aura XE
'07 Outlook XR
'06 Lincoln Zephyr
'07 Ducati 1098

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Yama1yzf's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Yama1yzf reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Yama1yzf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 08:12 PM   #25
mkaresh
Advanced Member
mkaresh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete93SL1M View Post
No, GM never had a GOOD 5-speed auto. ION sedan had one from 2003/2004 from Aisin that had issues. Equinox and VUE also have had 5-speed autos but VUEs was Honda-derived, not sure about the 'nox. Call 'em SUVs all you want, they were and are tall cars.
The 'nox box was also Aisin. I should have been more specific and said that GM never MADE a FWD five-speed automatic. As you say, they did BUY some from Aisin and Honda.

The made a RWD five-speed automatic, used in some Cadillac models and also supplied to BMW.

truedelta.com -- need more Saturns!
More useful reliability information -- first info on Aura and Outlook
Price comparisons, quick and thorough

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mkaresh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mkaresh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mkaresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 10:36 PM   #26
Teamharris0713
Teamharris0713 is on a distinguished road

I recently purchased an 08 Outlook XR 2wd. I've experienced the transmission hunting I've read so much about on this site. Are you sure there is not a reflash for the '08s as the problem seems to be the same as the 2007 models? Thanks

Gold Mist Outlook XR 2WD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Teamharris0713's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Teamharris0713 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Teamharris0713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 12:19 PM   #27
HJ92126
HJ92126 is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XE

I have an 07 XE and have had the reflash. This past weekend we took it to the mountains (Big Bear, CA). When it was time to start going up hill the trans was a nightmare in auto mode. The road has numerous tight turns and cutbacks that require a slow speed to navigate. Coming out of a tight slow turn most of the time it would be in third gear and start bogging then hesitate and jump into 2nd gear just in time to slow down for the next turn. Used manual mode the rest of the way up going between 2nd and 3rd and it worked great. Coming back down, the hill assist would sometimes work but it seemed to engage at the wrong times so it was back to manual for the dowhill run. In normal driving there is an ocassional delay sometimes it can frustrating. Quick lane changes at slow speeds can be scary when you push the go pedal and nothing really happens for about 2 seconds, almost like you are running out of gas.

2007 Outlook XE
2006 Grand Prix

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HJ92126's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HJ92126 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
HJ92126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 11:13 AM   #28
Harald
Harald is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

Now I'm having tranny problems too, after the most recent re-flash for the 2007. At highway speeds, if I put my foot on the gas, nothing happens until I get almost to the floor, at which point the transmission shifts all the way down to 4th (and sometimes 3rd!). After about a 2-second pause, the engine catches up, and I can accelerate.

As soon as I start easing off the gas, it drops all the way back to 6th. There appears to be no way (outside of shifting into L) to maintain *moderate* acceleration!

This doesn't appear to happen at lower speeds; It appears to only happen when I'm going 80km/h or faster. It's extremely annoying...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Harald's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Harald reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Harald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 08:32 AM   #29
Z06jerry

2008 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamharris0713 View Post
I recently purchased an 08 Outlook XR 2wd. I've experienced the transmission hunting I've read so much about on this site. Are you sure there is not a reflash for the '08s as the problem seems to be the same as the 2007 models? Thanks

Gold Mist Outlook XR 2WD
There IS a reflash for the '08's. I just had mine done a couple of days ago. The transmission operation is improved. The transmission allows for more rpm's and more throttle input before trying to upshift so the vehicle feels more responsive when driving around town with less gear hunting. On the highway it will accept more throttle before downshifting from 6th. Overall I'd say that transmission operation is now "acceptable" Mine is AWD so hopefully there will also be new program for FWD too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Z06jerry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-29-2008, 04:07 PM   #30
montrealvue
Advanced Member
montrealvue is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06jerry View Post
There IS a reflash for the '08's. I just had mine done a couple of days ago. The transmission operation is improved. The transmission allows for more rpm's and more throttle input before trying to upshift so the vehicle feels more responsive when driving around town with less gear hunting. On the highway it will accept more throttle before downshifting from 6th. Overall I'd say that transmission operation is now "acceptable" Mine is AWD so hopefully there will also be new program for FWD too.
Did it have any impact on fuel economy? Many have claimed their fuel economy dropped somewhat after the reflash.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to montrealvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help montrealvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
montrealvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 03:11 PM   #31
VMMVMMM
VMMVMMM is on a distinguished road

We didn't see any measurable impact. It seemed like it went down at first, but now we're seeing slightly higher numbers than before, so I think overall there really wasn't much of a change.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VMMVMMM's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VMMVMMM reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VMMVMMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 04:14 PM   #32
Z06jerry

2008 Outlook XR
Default Re: 2007 & 2008 Outlook Transmission Problems!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06jerry View Post
I have a 2008 XR AWD. This transmission programming is a nightmare! It is always in the wrong gear. I find that I have to shift it manually and as another poster has mentioned and keep it in 4th gear around town. Mine shifts into third so early that it is dangerous to drive smoothly among traffic. Another problem is that it won't hold 6th at highway speeds if there is a slight uphill or headwind I have to keep it in 5th or else it downshifts constantly and then immediately back up again. It doesn't just downshift to 5th, but more like a 4.5 gear or something. So on the highway it goes like this.... cruising along @ 1900 rpm, here comes a slight uphill that you can barely see, downshift to 3100 rpm (vehicle lunges ahead) followed by immediate upshift to 2500 rpm and then another upshift back to 1900rpm. ... a few minutes later and it does it all again. The only way to avoid this is to drive in 5th, unless you have a tailwind or are driving downhill. HEY GM, GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER! When people tell me they are considering an Outlook/Acadia/Enclave. I tell them to forget it! go buy something else!!
I hope GM does something about this real soon. I am generally impressed with the Outlook but this transmission shifting is a bad joke!!
Well its been a long time since, but I thought I'd come back with an update. My transmission problem is FINALLY RESOLVED!!! It has taken numerous updates and constant complaining but GM has a fix. If you are having the issue I describe above get your Dealer to reprogram the transmission according to TSB # 08-07-30-022A.

After 20 months and a ton of aggravation trying to resolve this crappy transmission programming, it has finally been resolved. After going through this experience however I will probably never by GM again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-26-2009, 04:34 PM   #33
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete93SL1M View Post
The 'Nox used the Aisin AF-33 5-speed automatic. The Suzuki XL7 also used it with the 3.6L engine until 2009 when they used the GM 6-speed automatic. The 2009 'Nox Sport got the 3.6L and GM 6-speed automatic. The 'Nox's with the 3.4L Chinese built engines still get the Aisin AF-33 5-speed automatic.

The Honda automatic is a good automatic, but you have to change the fluid every 25k miles. Truthfully changing the fluid in every automatic every 25k miles or yearly is an excellent pro-active maintenance routine.

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:06 PM   #34
Doug C
Doug C will become famous soon enoughDoug C will become famous soon enough

2008 Outlook XE
Wrench Re: 2007 Outlook Transmission Problems!

"...Their argument is that GM Canada did not make the vehicle -- they are only a distributor. And its a US service bulletin so they are not involved, Iny said.
Youd be astonished. They know less about your car than somebody that you met in a bar.
..."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...s-gm-1.2753500

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Doug C's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Doug C reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Doug C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:37 PM   #35
Doug C
Doug C will become famous soon enoughDoug C will become famous soon enough

2008 Outlook XE
Arrow Re: 2007 Outlook Transmission Problems!

'GoPublic' Video @4:45 ; http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/Canada...ID/2506569717/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Doug C's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Doug C reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Doug C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:41 PM   #36
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

i had an 08 that i purchased 7/13/07. an update for transmission came out for it. actual;ly never did have it done because it was fine but there was one for it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote