SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos


Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2014, 03:08 PM   #1
GMFletchling
New Member
GMFletchling is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 3
Default 2004 Saturn Ion Does Not Turn Over

I've been throwing theories back and forth for the past week or so and thought it'd be good to come here and see if I can find something. I'll try to offer some background before I ask.

I drive a 2004 Saturn Ion, which I recently purchased. I got my car back from Buick GMC last month(Ignition recall) and was using it to get to work and back. It would run, but at times it would start with some hesitation. Basically, the car would start, putter repeatedly at 500 or so RPM meanwhile exhausting some smoke, like it was burning oil. After a few tries, it would start up and I would be able to go from there.

Within the last week, I've found that the engine won't turn over at all anymore. It turned out this way when I tried to start it one morning. It hesitated once, then I got it started twice after that. Upon the next attempt, it tried to start up, then cut off. I can turn the key to the start position, and the starter will go, but the engine does not budge. Doesn't even try. Had the battery tested, and it was at 50%, so it was charged afterward. Put the battery back in, and the same thing happened. Engine won't turn.

From what I understand, it could be a number of this that's causing this. I just don't really know where to start looking. The battery is fine, judging from the test results I got after charging it. I suppose the alternator could be a problem, but I can't test the alternator without starting the car(right?). My Hayne's manual is telling me that the starter motor or solenoid could be bad, but I don't really know how to test for that(this is my first vehicle, so my knowledge is limited), and if it's not any of those, then I don't know where to begin looking.

So again, to summarize: My car, upon returning from GMC, has been having issues with hesitating to start. It now refuses to have the engine turn over(or even rotate, at that), and I can't get it started at all. Not sure what the solution is. Help? I'm browsing the rest of the forum as of now to see if I can find someone with a similar problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GMFletchling's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GMFletchling reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GMFletchling is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2014, 04:18 PM   #2
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to all
 
ruley73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Is this heaven?....No, it's Iowa!
Posts: 2,754
 

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Re: 2004 Saturn Ion Does Not Turn Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMFletchling View Post
I've been throwing theories back and forth for the past week or so and thought it'd be good to come here and see if I can find something. I'll try to offer some background before I ask.

I drive a 2004 Saturn Ion, which I recently purchased. I got my car back from Buick GMC last month(Ignition recall) and was using it to get to work and back. It would run, but at times it would start with some hesitation. Basically, the car would start, putter repeatedly at 500 or so RPM meanwhile exhausting some smoke, like it was burning oil. After a few tries, it would start up and I would be able to go from there.

Within the last week, I've found that the engine won't turn over at all anymore. It turned out this way when I tried to start it one morning. It hesitated once, then I got it started twice after that. Upon the next attempt, it tried to start up, then cut off. I can turn the key to the start position, and the starter will go, but the engine does not budge. Doesn't even try. Had the battery tested, and it was at 50%, so it was charged afterward. Put the battery back in, and the same thing happened. Engine won't turn.

From what I understand, it could be a number of this that's causing this. I just don't really know where to start looking. The battery is fine, judging from the test results I got after charging it. I suppose the alternator could be a problem, but I can't test the alternator without starting the car(right?). My Hayne's manual is telling me that the starter motor or solenoid could be bad, but I don't really know how to test for that(this is my first vehicle, so my knowledge is limited), and if it's not any of those, then I don't know where to begin looking.

So again, to summarize: My car, upon returning from GMC, has been having issues with hesitating to start. It now refuses to have the engine turn over(or even rotate, at that), and I can't get it started at all. Not sure what the solution is. Help? I'm browsing the rest of the forum as of now to see if I can find someone with a similar problem.
I'm a bit confused. The way I interpreted what you said, the starter (solenoid) engages, but the starter won't turn the engine over. Have you had the starter bench tested? Have you checked the oil level lately? So far everything points to a seized engine or a bad starter. Also, please post your car's mileage and if it has an automatic or manual transmission. I don't think any of this is related to the recall work you had done at the dealership.

...
2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 175K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 170K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 04:34 PM   #3
GMFletchling
New Member
GMFletchling is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 3
Default Re: 2004 Saturn Ion Does Not Turn Over

I wasn't necessarily implying that the work done caused this problem, but I just wanted to clarify it had been done to avoid getting "Passlock" as an answer. What you said is essentially the problem. Solenoid turns, but the engine does not. I suppose I could try an oil change, though.

The Saturn Ion is question is an automatic with about 140K miles. I'm not able to test the starter bench at the moment. I was going to see next week about getting things tested further. If the engine were to have seized, what might I have to do to fix that?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GMFletchling's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GMFletchling reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GMFletchling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 04:41 PM   #4
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to all
 
ruley73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Is this heaven?....No, it's Iowa!
Posts: 2,754
 

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Re: 2004 Saturn Ion Does Not Turn Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMFletchling View Post
I wasn't necessarily implying that the work done caused this problem, but I just wanted to clarify it had been done to avoid getting "Passlock" as an answer. What you said is essentially the problem. Solenoid turns, but the engine does not. I suppose I could try an oil change, though.

The Saturn Ion is question is an automatic with about 140K miles. I'm not able to test the starter bench at the moment. I was going to see next week about getting things tested further. If the engine were to have seized, what might I have to do to fix that?
Passlock still lets the engine turn over, but cuts off the fuel supply so I don't think that's an issue unless you see a blinking security light. Check the oil level before doing anything else. If it is too low for too long the engine maybe seized due to lack of lubrication. You can rule this out by removing the spark plugs and trying to turn the crank pulley over by hand. If it won't turn over manually, the engine is seized. The only way to fix that is a complete engine overhaul or engine replacement.

...
2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 175K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 170K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 04:55 PM   #5
GMFletchling
New Member
GMFletchling is on a distinguished road
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 3
Default Re: 2004 Saturn Ion Does Not Turn Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruley73 View Post
If it won't turn over manually, the engine is seized. The only way to fix that is a complete engine overhaul or engine replacement.
That's what I feared. I'm going to hope that it isn't that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GMFletchling's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GMFletchling reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GMFletchling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:45 PM   #6
kevin.st56
Senior Member
kevin.st56 has a spectacular aura aboutkevin.st56 has a spectacular aura about
 
kevin.st56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 1,019
 

2003 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: 2004 Saturn Ion Does Not Turn Over

start with the basic things first, then work your way up. learned that quickly with computers, and it applies to vehicles too lol

first before anything, check the oil, and what grade was used (if you have any idea what it is). once you get up to getting the starter tested, unmount it and take it to autozone or similar store to test it.

...
03 ion-2 Sedan 5sp
94 Honda civic automatic "VTEC yo"
05 Santa Fe 2.7L (Fefe)

"A problem clearly stated, is a problem half solved."

♕KCCO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kevin.st56's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kevin.st56 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kevin.st56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2004 VUE, Blower Will Not Turn Off dajedikidd Vue Tech 17 11-05-2016 01:06 PM
2004 Ion Turn Signal and DRL issues Rob Ril Ion Tech 27 05-12-2016 05:52 PM
2004 Saturn Ion, AC won't turn on. plaster1975 Ion Tech 3 05-20-2011 07:41 PM
2004 Vue - DLR lights wont turn off...help norcal_t Vue Tech 14 03-16-2010 01:52 AM
Ignition wont turn 2004 ION 2 IONizedinblack Ion Tech 4 09-01-2007 08:45 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:06 PM.

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SaturnFans.com. The Saturn Enthusiasts Site.