SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2014, 11:36 AM   #1
benjaminprojas
benjaminprojas is on a distinguished road

Wrench 2002 Saturn LW200 Idle Issues

Hey folks, first time here and hoping to get some advice on some issues with my Saturn.

I have a 2002 Saturn LW200 with 31,000 miles. (It belonged to my wifes great grandfather who rarely drove it before passing away).

The car operates normally when accelerating, but on Idle, it sometimes shudders and the RPM indicator goes to around 500 or lower. (it did stall on me once, but that hasn't happened again). The issue seems to get worse when the A/C is on as well.

Any thoughts on what might cause that/where to start looking for the cause? I would love to get this fixed up without much cost involved.

Also, I have not done any maintenance on the car myself since we just received it. I do believe that the last oil change was in July of 2013, but the car only has 2k miles since that point.

Thanks!

Let me know if you need any more details...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to benjaminprojas's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help benjaminprojas reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
benjaminprojas is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2014, 01:56 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2002 Saturn LW200 Idle Issues

Remove the air cleaner and check the air filter then see if the throttle body needs a cleaning. With so little use, short trip driving may create new and unusual problems not seen against most cars used daily. Check the oil cap for sludge build up under the cap - a sure sign of short trips not allowing the engine to heat up and boil away normal condensation after engine shut down. After some initial checks, a nice long drive lasting an hour or more on the highway may allow the engine to circulate fluids enough to burn off condensation in motor oil. Spark plugs may need inspection to see if anything is out of the ordinary. Normal tan coloring is expected on the ceramic center piece. A bottle of injector treatment of your choice may help clean out any crud. Maybe several tanks needed to cycle out all old gas thru lines and injectors before seeing any results.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 04:50 PM   #3
benjaminprojas
benjaminprojas is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 2002 Saturn LW200 Idle Issues

Thanks! I'll look into those things and let you know what I find out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to benjaminprojas's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help benjaminprojas reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
benjaminprojas is offline   Reply With Quote