SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2014, 05:36 PM   #1
npresco
npresco is on a distinguished road

Default Throttle Body and EGR Valve Cleaning

Hello All-

I am planning on cleaning both the Throttle Body and EGR Valve this weekend. I am not sure if it has ever been done on my 95 SL1 and from the information and videos I have found on here, it is a relatively easy procedure with dramatic results.

After removing both parts, I was thinking I could just run them in a sonicator with as much acetone as necessary. In richpin's video, he does soak the EGR valve in some of the solvent but makes a note to say that you shouldn't soak it in too much solvent. 1) Would it damage the parts, either throttle body or egr valve, to immerse them completely in acetone even if I removed the sensors 2) would it be damaging to clean them in a sonicator?

Thanks for you time and help again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to npresco's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help npresco reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
npresco is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2014, 06:19 PM   #2
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2
Default Re: Throttle Body and EGR Valve Cleaning

The danger in the cleaning of the EGR valve is the sensor. That is the biggest concern that richpin had and, unless you know what else is lurking under there, probably best not to get it too soaked.

The Throttle Body depends on the year. Second generation is much easier to get to and clean than third. I've never taken my third generation throttle body off - just sprayed cleaner down there and wiped up. Unless you are getting codes and/or idling issues, doing a 'deep' clean is probably not needed.

My two cents.

2002 SL2 Manual - new in November, 2001
Sticker: $13,995 As of 09/30/17: 223,751 Miles - SOLD

2013 Mazda 3 HB - new in October 2012
Sticker: $20,850 As of 09/30/17: 38,381 Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TXSaturn02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TXSaturn02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TXSaturn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:58 PM   #3
npresco
npresco is on a distinguished road

An update to this.

I did some of the easier replacements just to get my feet wet with saturn repair and maintenance. Those being the ECTS and PCV. The old ECTS was surprising still intact but was the resin type so I just went ahead and replaced it. I did the same with the PCV. It was gunked up quite a bit.

I did the EGR valve and throttle body today and they was a lot of carbon build up on both. I took a risk and used the sonicator after all. For the throttle body I removed both sensors and completely submerged it in the cleaning fluid. The EGR valve I had suspended up until the large cylinder but eventually submerged it up to the connector on top. After first I was using acetone and sonication. It was working fairly well but it wasn't dissolving as fast as I had hoped. I scraped much of it off manually and then used hot water and a mild detergent in the sonicator. This was as effective as the acetone and could more easily replace the water and soap as they became crudded up. I would say I had it sonicating for about 2 hours today and it is significantly cleaner. I am not sure it needs to be much cleaner than it is now but a part of me wants to see just how much the sonicator can get off.

Additionally, the intake had just as much carbon buildup as the back plate of the throttle. I would like to clean all of that out as well but it is much more of a task and from what I have read here, it doesn't really affect performance too much. It is pretty amazing how well my car was going with all that carbon buildup. Thanks for the help and advice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ects+pcv.jpg (117.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg egr1.jpg (139.8 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg egr2.jpg (111.6 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg throttle1.jpg (91.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg throttle2.jpg (135.6 KB, 22 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to npresco's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help npresco reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
npresco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:39 AM   #4
bachands
Advanced Member
bachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to beholdbachands is a splendid one to behold

2002 SL2

I cleaned my EGR valve and throttle body a couple months back also. Mine looked almost identical to yours in terms of carbon buildup. It all cleaned up nice using some carb cleaner for both. I got the EGR pintle moving moving up and down with ease.

Upon completion, there really was no difference in performance. The only difference was the little bit of stickiness in the throttle was gone so I can now accelerate very slowly in a parking lot if I want to. Before the cleaning, it would jolt a tad due to the carbon buildup in the throttle body.

I'm still glad I did it though...sure can't hurt.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bachands's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bachands reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bachands is offline   Reply With Quote