SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2011, 09:36 PM   #1
dirtprophet
dirtprophet is on a distinguished road

2000 SL
Default Can I bypass my ignition in my sl? having problems starting

I've got an '00 SL, very base model. Starting lately has been an issue. Started with the key - had to jiggle the key and the wheel just to turn the key to start. I figure that the key is worn as I can pull the key out while the car is running. Worked well for a while, although my wife won't drive it as she can't start it.
But now I can't start the car. When I turn the key, sometimes all the lights/dash turn off - dim, sometimes the radio starts stops. Feels fairly strange.

So, as poor as I am, is it doable to bypass the key/lock cylinder and just throw in a $5 switch from radioshack? I am betting this is an ignition switch problem, as I have had issues previously - mainly when it was raining. The car would stutter while driving. As in turn off, dash would die, lights would turn off. Happened only a few times. Another time, I drove it for a few hundred feet and turned it off. When I tried to turn it back on again, nothing happened. I let it sit for a few hours and it started up like a champ.

No mods to the car yet.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dirtprophet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dirtprophet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dirtprophet is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2011, 12:05 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Can I bypass my ignition in my sl? having problems starting

Welcome to Saturnfans!

1-Newbie mistake posting in the wrong forums. Your '00 SL is an S-series car where you should be posting in the S-series tech forums. Just post again there and let this thread die. You're in the L-series forum.

2-You may have more than one issue and need to address main power, the battery and battery cables/connections to be sure power isn't an issue.

3-Being a new member, you'll need to get acquainted with the How-to library. One issue to address immediately is whether or not the original round nosed plastic coolant sensor was replaced. A look at the picture below is an example. Replace it with a flat nosed brass one from any auto store. This plastic sensor fails and causes many engine/transmission problems with many threads about it.

4-It wouldn't be a good fix to jury rig the ignition switch. One reason is that the factory theft deterrent system depends on the rotation of the ignition switch assembly for the sensors to precisely operate correctly otherwise the Passlock system will become enabled and prevent the engine from running. The spare key is usually used to correct a worn out one and replacing one from the VIN by GM cuts an exact replacement. Try the spare before doing anything else. At worst, replacing the ignition switch is the better solution.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:58 PM   #3
jerryb75
jerryb75 is on a distinguished road

Sure wish I had seen this 3 hours ago :-(

just ripped ignition out because tumblers messed up guess I am scrapping my car

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jerryb75's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jerryb75 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jerryb75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 05:55 AM   #4
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia

2001 SL1

Scrapping a car for just an ignition switch replacement? Just for the gas mileage I get on my car, it would pay for parts in no time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote