SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2014, 09:44 PM   #21
arfstrom
arfstrom is on a distinguished road

Roll Eyes Re: Have You Experienced the Ignition Switch Issue?

I had similar issue. My issue I felt was a recall warranted, but no one ever said anything. My Car would go into a security lockdown. It was recommended to replace the ignition. so I did. So to count the times, and conditions of the lockdown

2 times on or next to a frozen lake, after playing on the ice. I guess my family was dressed for that time.

Multiple times at various stores during summer times, I guess I am lucky I could roll the windows down. It okay for families with dogs, Right?

Before I knew about the whole wait for 10 minutes and give it a shot?

I was going to work on a blizzard morning, I lost control of my car, from the on-ramp of the 4 lane divided highway, I banged the front bumper off the median, then the rear bumper nailed the median, leaving me facing 180 to normal traffic, and the vehicle would not start. lucky it was 4am and no traffic, hiked to Cub foods to call for help, and out from work, hiked home (1 mile start of blizzard conditions Jan 2008, near MSP) Hiked from home to car, found out it was towed, for $180. Was the 10 minute wait listed in the Users manual? No Cell phone, SOL.

So now I want to get with the dealership that replaced the ignition last time, to see if it they changed it right? or if I am still subject to the recall.

Tobie Arfstrom
Hudson WI
2004 Saturn ION3
Manual transmission

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to arfstrom's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help arfstrom reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
arfstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2014, 09:05 PM   #22
snakes
snakes has a spectacular aura aboutsnakes has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-1 Sedan
Default Re: Have You Experienced the Ignition Switch Issue?

Somehow I missed this thread and I'm last to post. I have an 05 sedan ion-1. I had the ignition switch replaced by Saturn back in 2007 ( key would get stuck,etc) then in 09/2013 I have my ignition switch replaced by Chevy. I was getting an intermittent stall issue only when shifting from drive into park and the dealor called the GM tech support line and recommended I replace the ignition switch/ lock cylinder. I had this work performed and was never offered a new key or a plug. I just had the ignition switch replaced recently at Chevy under the recall and received the new key. I also submitted a reimbursement claim for the work done be Saturn in 2007 and the work done in 9/2013. I was told by GM that I will be getting back the full reimbursement amount. So I guess GM is going the right thing. Now I just received the steering motor / electric recall letter .

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to snakes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help snakes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
snakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:48 PM   #23
ionlover
ionlover is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe

I bought my 2007 Ion Quad Coupe new in 2006. I received the ignition switch recall notice and called the local GM dealer on May 6, 2014 to order the replacement ignition switch. They told me I have to wait for the part to come in. On May 30th I came home from somewhere, pulled into my garage, and attempted to shut my car off... no dice... the ignition switch was stuck in the RUN position. I called the GM dealer to ask for advice. The service advisor said since it was covered by the recall they would give me a rental car but I could not get it until Monday June 2nd. He also told me how to disconnect the ignition switch by pulling its plug. The Plug/Jack is under the steering column just above the change tray. That was very convenient and easier that pulling a fuze or disconnecting the battery to shut off the engine.

When I picked up the rental they told me GM is covering the cost. I've had the 2013 GMC Terrain for nearly three weeks now. It drives really well but gas mileage is 12 mpg less than my Saturn.

2007 Ion Quad Coupe / Chili Pepper Red
1999 SL2 / Silver
1995 SC2 / Aquamarine
1993 SL1 / Red

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ionlover's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ionlover reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ionlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:13 AM   #24
snakes
snakes has a spectacular aura aboutsnakes has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Thanks for the info. I never knew you could do it that way. Last year that happened to my friends 06 ion and we had to take the fuse out. Back in 2006 this happened to my same friend and the car would not shut off, but back then the dealor and tech support advised her to drive to the dealorship that night and leave it unattended. or drive it and leave it running until it ran out of gas and then have it towed. Poor advice from the dealership as she didn't want to have her car stolen or get a ticket for leaving it running unattended. But back then they didn't know how to advise people correctly or were unaware of these issues

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to snakes's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help snakes reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
snakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:04 PM   #25
ionlover
ionlover is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-3 Quad Coupe

An update to my previous post: the dealer called yesterday to say my car is ready for me to pick up. Yeah! I was so ready to get her back. I went to the dealer and turned in my loner Terrain SUV. When they handed me the paperwork to sign I saw they were billing GM just over $1000 for my use of the loner for 4 weeks. Wow. Anyway I am happy to have my car back. I went home and treated her to a wash, wax and interior detail.
The ignition switch is new and the keys are new, although the keys are cut identical to my original key. They asked me to turn in the original key - they said they don't want them to be used.

2007 Ion 3 Quad Coupe
1999 SL2
1995 SC2
1993 SL1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ionlover's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ionlover reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ionlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 09:42 AM   #26
SaturnIONSLVUE
Advanced Member
SaturnIONSLVUE is on a distinguished road

I thought you did not have to wait for the rental and you can just drop the car off. That is what I was told by gm last week and it says it in the recall letter. "If you don't feel safe you can get a rental right away" the rental is paid for by gm not the dealer I was told that as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnIONSLVUE's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnIONSLVUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnIONSLVUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 04:39 PM   #27
planighan
planighan is on a distinguished road

I have a 2005 Saturn Ion 1 with a 2.0L engine. The vehicle was bought used in Dec 2009. There is no pwr equipment on vehicle other than pwr str. I had received recall on ignition switch and had it done 6/2014. I had never experienced the problem, (e.g. ignition turning off while driving) even though I have five items on a separating key chain that I drove with.
About the time I had the ignition recall work done I began to experience the loss of pwr str while driving. After car is parked and turned off then restarted pwr str comes back but will drift out again. Just after the problem started I received a recall notice from GM. They say they will replace the pwr str motor as soon as the part becomes available. Its been over a month and still no word that the part is available. Parenthetically, back in 2012, I received a letter from GM alluding to the problem on some cars and extending the warrantee on that part (pwr str motor) to 10 years or 150,000 miles. The letter further cautioned that unless you were experiencing the problem, don't take it to the dealer. This same problem, pwr str motor, occurred on the Chev Cobalt and Pont G something or other and GM changed them on those cars so the improve part is available. I found two GM parts dealers (one in Texas and one in Florida) selling them on ebay and I have yet to hear from GM that the part is available and get in to the dealer for replacement! In the mean time, let me tell you that steering without that pwr assist is difficult especially turning at intersections and into my driveway as you've slowed down to make the turn. PL

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to planighan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help planighan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
planighan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:02 AM   #28
2007_ion2
2007_ion2 is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Sedan

I just had the ignition switch done yesterday and I don't like the new key. It fees weird in my hand cause of the blank spot where the logo of the car should be. And the new design has the little hole for a small ring to be inserted to attach it to my key ring makes me feel like my key ring is bulkier. Would def have preferred to keep my old keys or get have some sort of logo (pref Saturn) on the key...tho I have nev experienced the ignition switch issue with the old one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2007_ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2007_ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2007_ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 08:16 PM   #29
Ignatz
Ignatz is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007_ion2 View Post
I just had the ignition switch done yesterday and I don't like the new key. It fees weird in my hand cause of the blank spot where the logo of the car should be. And the new design has the little hole for a small ring to be inserted to attach it to my key ring makes me feel like my key ring is bulkier. Would def have preferred to keep my old keys or get have some sort of logo (pref Saturn) on the key...tho I have nev experienced the ignition switch issue with the old one.
I got my ignition done today. Like 2007_ion2 they gave me a new key set. Yeah, it looks different as noted: no logo and only a hole, not a slit. But, heck, its otherwise the same key! I tried my old key and it still worked the ignition and it started the vehicle. So why the new key? Just to be nice?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ignatz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ignatz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ignatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 03:10 AM   #30
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Stop and think about the reason for the center hole on the new key in relation to the deaths caused by GM's deteriorating lack of "quality" over sight when a 50-cent piece of metal failed to hold the lock cylinder/ignition switch in whatever detent position it was supposed to be in when a combination of things occurred to allow the ignition switch to rotate and turn off...............

Ridiculously over weighted key rings like lead weights on a fishing line tugs on a key that's slotted in combination with the angle the ignition switch is in, the ON/RUN position. Add the normal road bumps and hard hits sometimes coupled with a 'weak' detent mechanism and a recipe for what already occurred took place; the ignition switch turns off. A slotted key allows leverage against a key without a slot when picturing how weighted keys hang in relation to ignition switch position and whether or not ignition switches are easily turned with jostling weights hanging from a key ring while driving. Some mechanical engineering principles with leverage will make it easier to understand why GM rushed new non slotted keys out as part of their recall service to avoid future litigation.

While too late to replicate now, with a new ignition switch/lock cylinder, anyone can attempt to duplicate the scenario that resulted in ignition switches turning off by simply tugging downwards and a little sideways with the ignition ON.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:01 AM   #31
Cougarstang
Cougarstang is a jewel in the roughCougarstang is a jewel in the roughCougarstang is a jewel in the roughCougarstang is a jewel in the rough

2006 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatz View Post
I got my ignition done today. Like 2007_ion2 they gave me a new key set. Yeah, it looks different as noted: no logo and only a hole, not a slit. But, heck, its otherwise the same key! I tried my old key and it still worked the ignition and it started the vehicle. So why the new key? Just to be nice?
What fdryer said is spot-on. Technically, they're supposed to take all of your old keys for this reason. They don't want you using the slotted key to avoid future litigation. The dealer that serviced mine, however, only kept the one key that I gave them with the car. Fortunately, I gave them the crappy generic replacement key and saved my saturn logo key, which still works. I find myself using the new ones, anyway.

I wish the new keys had the saturn logo, but beggars can't be choosers.

My ride: 2002 Ford Mustang GT, 4.6L v8, 5-speed manual
Wife's ride: 2006 Saturn ION 2, 5 speed manual
Gone but not forgotten: 2000 Saturn SL1, auto

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cougarstang's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cougarstang reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cougarstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 12:26 PM   #32
kevin.st56
kevin.st56 has a spectacular aura aboutkevin.st56 has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarstang View Post
I wish the new keys had the saturn logo, but beggars can't be choosers.
get it engraved into the key lol

03 ion-2 Sedan 5sp
94 Honda civic automatic "VTEC yo"
05 Santa Fe 2.7L (Fefe)

"A problem clearly stated, is a problem half solved."

♕KCCO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kevin.st56's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kevin.st56 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kevin.st56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 03:00 PM   #33
2007_ion2
2007_ion2 is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Sedan

That's a good idea. Wonder who much it will cost.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2007_ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2007_ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2007_ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 03:36 PM   #34
Ignatz
Ignatz is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin.st56 View Post
get it engraved into the key lol
Or a decal. Download the logo onto a blank sticker. Clever, huh?
And, ditto Cougarstang. They kept Wifey's key but they never saw mine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ignatz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ignatz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ignatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 10:18 PM   #35
SaturnIONSLVUE
Advanced Member

Some of you had problems with the keys not working in the doors and trunk. That is because the keys are Pass lock plus keys (+) which have a bump out on the the top of them. Which they grind down the sides of the top of the key. (if you look you can see brass) Our Original and type for replacement should be PK3 pass-lock keys which do not have the bump out on the top. I had nothing but problems with my new keys they did not cut them right and they did not want to fix them. I went to another dealer which cut me new Buick keys by code for my Saturn 19 dollars for two keys. They are PRK keys which has the Buick logo on them and the old style key ring area. No problems now and they keys work fine. If you guys want a logo or have problems with the keys just get new ones made by code. (691205 Buick Logo - Strattec PK3 'Z' Keyway, Buick, Cadillac, Chevy, Olds, Pontiac, Saturn) I have attached an image of the two types of keys with the wrong (+) first and the correct (PK3) key second, look at your key and you can see they ground down the sides on the top to retro fit it work with PK3 door/trunk locks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (3.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail.jpg (3.8 KB, 13 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnIONSLVUE reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-03-2014, 06:07 AM   #36
eneloop
eneloop is on a distinguished road

Question:
Have You Experienced the Ignition Switch Issue?

Answer:
NO

All the best
eneloop@yahoo.com

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eneloop's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eneloop reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eneloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:38 PM   #37
Voz
Voz is on a distinguished road

ANSWER: Yes.

Right now, trying to find out how I can get reimbursed for my ignition switch repair costs, (twice). The problem is according to the recall info, they want the receipts from the original repairs... The receipts that were in the glove compartment of my 2003 Ion... ...when it shut off, sliding downhill on the highway toward the traffic light on the ice on a February Friday morning and piled under a pickup truck that was ahead of me at the traffic light, a year and a half ago. After a year of wondering what went wrong that got my car totaled, a year later I learned that, "oops, we knew this could happen... uhhh, ten years ago..." Fortunately, I was fully seatbelted in, because, yes, the airbags did not activate, even though the officer estimated my speed to be higher than 30mph because the crash wiped back half of my engine compartment. My face is ugly enough without piling it into the dashboard and windshield, so I was thankful for my seatbelt, but have kind of resented GM over this whole issue. Never kept more than four or five keys on the key ring, but that morning a slight bump from a transition in the highway from concrete to asphalt was enough to shut off the car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Voz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Voz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Voz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 07:53 AM   #38
Citation84
Master Member
Citation84 has a spectacular aura aboutCitation84 has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Got my ignition switch and cylinder done [they;re doing both] and still have to push the button in that hole under the steering wheel to get the key out at least half the time. 2005 ION 1.

Used to do that all the time, this after having three or four new ignitions switches [one of which was reimbursed, the rest under warranty] and twice for the sensor [BTSI] replacement in the parking mechanism in the console that sends a message to the ignition to release the key or something.

The second repair was done gratis because it had been replaced once before under warranty. The most recent repair lasted just over a year and 3000 miles. That was in 2011. Done the same time as the BTSI. All work done by Saturn/Chevrolet techs. Nearly 10 years and they still can't make it right.

However all I have put into it is a battery after nearly nine years and just spent over $1000 in [hyper] preventive maintenance: all belts, hoses [including heater and others. AZ heat is murderous on rubber and they're all nearly 10 years old ], 4 wheel alignment, balance etc etc etc.

Prices are in line with the chain shops for the alignment balancing and other work they did. But there's lots of labor involved in removing and replacing all that rubber. That's where the cost went up.

The staff at the dealer is very friendly, nice people all around and I know they have an ultra high volume of recall work to do but at least make sure you replace the trim pieces on the console. The right side was laying in the passenger floor when I got it. All this took nearly a week, mind you. Previously an oil change there [ pre recalls BTW ] took three hours. I'll do it differently next time.

I'm done fighting trying to fix the ignition switch holding onto my key till I diddle something under the steering wheel to get it out. They've never repaired it to any standard of "fixing" the problem. I'm going to take it as just a quirk of the car. Only 60,000 miles on it, lots more left in it.

Wonder how long the power steering recall repair will take... the ignition switch repair took three days.

On my next car forget the sunroof, heated seats, leather, and high tech features. Just let me get the frigging key out of the ignition when I turn the car off without performing some obscene ritual to make it release.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Citation84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Citation84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Citation84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:54 AM   #39
kevin.st56
kevin.st56 has a spectacular aura aboutkevin.st56 has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eneloop View Post
Question:
Have You Experienced the Ignition Switch Issue?

Answer:
NO
ditto.
thats whats keeping me from getting it done.
"why fix something when it isnt broken?"

03 ion-2 Sedan 5sp
94 Honda civic automatic "VTEC yo"
05 Santa Fe 2.7L (Fefe)

"A problem clearly stated, is a problem half solved."

♕KCCO

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kevin.st56's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kevin.st56 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kevin.st56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 07:25 AM   #40
SaturnIONSLVUE
Advanced Member

I don't know if all the dealers are using the wrong keys and grinding down the top of sides. But the recall cost me 19.00 dollars to get new keys made at a different dealer, since the original dealer would not make me new ones.

Are the parts in yet for the power steering recall?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!