SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2014, 07:15 PM   #1
Kazee
Kazee is on a distinguished road

Default S series Transmission rebuild

So I recently bought a SL2 as a parts car for my SC2. so far I have cannibalized a few small parts off of it.

recently my SC2 has been having some overheating issues and judging by the burning smell and look of the transmission fluid I would say the transmission is on its way out. it shifts fine. a little hard at times but doesn't slam. sometimes when I am at a dead stop the car acts like its about to stall out. when I step on the gas it some times takes the car some time before it can stop "sputtering?"

anyways. I saw on-line these kits that basicly replace the valve module and some nut on the clutch for about 500.00

I was debating using this kit on the transmission in the SL2 and swapping it into the SC2

I was also curious about possibly rebuilding the SC2's transmission my self. I'm a machinist and feel, if I don't have to put the cases in a CNC milling cabinet, I could probably tear the transmission down and rebuild it.

anyone got any experience with the valve kit or rebuilding these transmissions?

its an automatic by the way.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kazee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kazee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kazee is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2014, 10:07 PM   #2
anmasher
anmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
1996 SL2
Default Re: S series Transmission rebuild

Valve body and clutch nut kit is probably the way to go. BTW - a quality Sonnax sleeved valve body should run about $200 (see member "Special Forces" here for a better idea) and the nuts and tools runs about $100 I think. A lot less than the $500 you quoted. If the rest of it needs rebuilt you would probably be better off getting a low mileage junkyard unit and doing the valve body and input/output shaft nuts to it. If you are dead set on rebuilding it then I'd suggest talking to PlasticCarsRock and/or satlite440 as they have both done it successfully.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to anmasher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help anmasher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
anmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:22 PM   #3
satlite440
satlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to behold

2001 SL2

in the middle of doing my mp6 now...not to bad except for a few things you should know before getting in deep

1 you need the tool kit for sizing the square cut scarf seals on the turbine shaft and the seals on the end case cover pipe seals..i am lucky and work for a dealer and was able to borrow the taat tool case kit from another dealer..

2 many of the plastic cage roller bearings are discontinued from gm,,natpro was able to get me the 2nd cluch roller bearing as it is a common fail part.. mine had no reverse due to the 2nd cluch piston lost a chunk of the outer lip seal..also the 4th gear piston return spring hogged out and came over the snap ring and wiped out the 4th reaction hub,torington bearing,3rd driven gear,and to top it all off the cage bearing split in 1/2 after I removed the 3rd gear from the output shaft..of the 5 hard parts I needed 3 were discontinued nation wide and trans star and several other big suppliers were unable to help.fortunatly for me a friend at another trans shop was able to get me the 3 bearings and I found the gear from a trans recycler in Idaho I made a post of the hard parts supplier in another post..

3 you will need a press and open cage tool to compress the return springs enough to remove the snap rings.. to change out the cluch pistons. I got an over haul kit with fibers&steels,cluch pistons and gaskets&seals for 207 (note I work in the industry as a trans tech so I pay peer to peer cost for parts results and costs will be higher for you I expect. I have around 350 in the kit&hard parts so far.and around 30 in diag as the wasn't the nuts and v/b to fix my issues..hopeing to get the case&internals assemble this week or next if I have the time..friend 's fuel pump went out in his ford,oldest boys Seville just lost the flex coupler on the brake line between the master cyc and bpmv.have to work saterday at the dealer and help a friend move...fml)

4 you need a way to air check the cluch packs before installing the v/b and the trans as there is no tool to help install the pistons other than a lip seal tool and no mater how carful you are you might have nicked the lip.also remember an air ck is not the same as a fluid ck..but usualy if it passes an air check it will be ok with fluid...

5as far as the v/b goes. I pulled mine apart as a prelude to diagnosis I found no scaring or problems with it evan though there was 190k on the clock,that said I have no idea if it's the original v/b or not.i suspect it is the original though..but I already went through it once and can't say for sure if it is a replacement or not.so your on your own there.what I can tell you is if you put the valves back in the v/b without the springs and shake it and the valve rattles back and forth(note clean the v/b and internals in brakleen and let air dry 1st) it's good..

6 since you say you have burnt smell in the fluid.thats most likely a piston seal or the 2nd cluch roller bearing has come apart and a small piece of plastic has restriced a lube passage..only real way to know is a road test with a tec2 and watch the gear ratio and see what gear it is in or if the numbers go sailing up and won't hold..

7 your other choices are go to car-part.com and get as low milage used unit as you can all the ones I have seen are eather in the 300+and over 120k on em and the prices go up from there but the milage doesn't go down.. or a reman if you can find one.they were hella expensive,around 1600 I think,or find a trans rebuilder localy that will touch it.. most won't I was informed by a few brothers in other shops due to how hard it is to find bearings and hard parts..i had no choice as I had already started the o/h and bought&used some parts,reconditioning in stages..things didn't look bad till finished both case 1/2s and the input shaft.the out put shaft was almost a deal breaker.took 2 weeks of networking and searching on the internet and calling places.but I am now on the downhill side..

hope that helps

shure you can trust the government,just ask us indians all about it...

heavy line the final protective fire line of the dealership

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to satlite440's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help satlite440 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
satlite440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 07:33 AM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Unless you have experience rebuilding automatic transmissions, access to the special tools, verified parts sources, and a very clean place to work just get to looking for a low mileage used replacement. All of the trans re-builders I know out here will tell you that if a new Sonnax upgraded VB and new nuts does not fix it to just throw it away as the parts + labor time makes anything else prohibitive. Generally a well maintained automatic with 100K mies should be OK.

http://car-part.com/index.htm

Any 93-02 trans will swap and function but you can not swap a MP-6 for a MP-7 etc. http://www.differentracing.com/tech_...gearratio.html

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:34 AM   #5
el diablo viejo
el diablo viejo will become famous soon enough

1994 SW1
2000 SW2

Why not try a fluid/filter change ( or two ) for starters ?

97 sl2 a/t 104 K
1989 GMC 3500 454 129 K, 1969 442 455 rat rod

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to el diablo viejo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help el diablo viejo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
el diablo viejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:10 PM   #6
satlite440
satlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to behold

2001 SL2

the burnt fluid is a good reason why not..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help satlite440 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-24-2014, 08:39 PM   #7
satlite440

2001 SL2

I posted this before but here it is againhttp://www.txchange.com/trans.htm

this is where I got the hard parts I needed...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-24-2014, 09:21 PM   #8
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

If the fluid is burnt the transmission is now a boat anchor. You can buy a good used one and a Sonnax modded VB for less money.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-25-2014, 10:29 PM   #9
satlite440

2001 SL2

yes but for how long old nuc..on car part.com I see 140k+units for 375 and the prices go up from there but the milage on the units don't go down..and that's a nation wide parts serch engine..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-25-2014, 11:54 PM   #10
cityhawk
Master Member
cityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to allcityhawk is a name known to all

1993 SW2
2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

I've never had an MP6 or MP7 transmission apart, but if you manage to take it all apart, you might consider doing a diff pin mod to prevent failure. See hunt4steve's rebuild thread for excellent detail about a fix (I opted for the two roll pin -- a new one on the opposite end from the original one -- approach).

Saturns:
1993 SW2 MT 181,000 hard Boston city miles ("Rozzie")
Gone but not forgotten:
2001 LW300 ("Elle")
1999 SW2 MT
Project cars:
1966 Corvair Monza convertible
1928 Ford Model A Tudor Sedan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cityhawk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cityhawk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cityhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 06:28 AM   #11
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by satlite440 View Post
yes but for how long old nuc..on car part.com I see 140k+units for 375 and the prices go up from there but the milage on the units don't go down..and that's a nation wide parts serch engine..
The low mileage, low cost transmissions are not usually on car-part, they are in the pick and pull yards or craigslist and sometimes the smaller local yards that do not alway list thier inventory. Like anything else you have to look for it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!