SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2014, 11:51 AM   #1
SivDre
SivDre is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
Wrench Seafoam to clean EGR Valve?

I purchased a bottle of seafoam with the intent to clean out my air intake lines. I was reading it and not sure where it's telling me to put it in the engine. I have a K&N filter that's clean but that's the extent of my knowledge on this system. Any pictures or diagrams anyone can post showing me where? I have a stock 99 SL2 twin cam 16 valve engine.

If this isn't possible I was going to use it on my transmission, also following it's directions. .... All in all, i'm thinking I just need to buy a flat of this stuff if it really works that well.

Betty Boop, proud SL2 leaking oil since 1999. XD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SivDre's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SivDre reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SivDre is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2014, 12:30 PM   #2
wingsauce7
wingsauce7 has a spectacular aura aboutwingsauce7 has a spectacular aura about

2001 SL1
2000 SL1
Default Re: Seafoam to clean EGR Valve?

I've been told Seafoam won't do much for unclogging carbon build-up. It's mostly for engine cleaning. There are a ton of videos on youtube that show how to use it.

Basically you use an oz per gallon in the fuel tank. 1 1/2 ozs per qt in the oil and then if you remove your brake booster vacuum line on the firewall, you slowly pour about 4 ozs into the line while the engine is idling. Immediately shut the engine off after adding at the brake booster and let it sit for about 20 min. After 20 min go drive it hard until the smoking stops.

After 75-100 miles, change oil and filter.

I don't have much experience with it, but some swear by the stuff.

2001 SL1
5 Speed
390,000 miles!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wingsauce7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wingsauce7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wingsauce7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 01:56 PM   #3
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Welcome to saturnfans, you can find a ton of info about these cars here.

It's really, really pointless and a bad idea to pour it into a manual transmission. Look up "differential pin failure," "diff pin ejected," or "hole in transmission" to see why you would not to thin out your transmission fluid or put naphtha (one of seafoams main active ingredients, iirc) in there.

It doesn't hurt to put a small amount in your gas tank, but Techron is better at cleaning injectors.

Seafoam really doesn't do much, but smoke, when put through the intake.

People see smoke and say, "hey, that must be working!' without thinking, "You know, I can get the same or similar smoke effects by pouring oil, beer, or water into the intake"

Brake vacuum line is hard to get off

It's a whole lot easier to suck it up through the PCV line

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 02:37 PM   #4
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to all

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SivDre View Post
I purchased a bottle of seafoam with the intent to clean out my air intake lines. I was reading it and not sure where it's telling me to put it in the engine. I have a K&N filter that's clean but that's the extent of my knowledge on this system. Any pictures or diagrams anyone can post showing me where? I have a stock 99 SL2 twin cam 16 valve engine.

If this isn't possible I was going to use it on my transmission, also following it's directions. .... All in all, i'm thinking I just need to buy a flat of this stuff if it really works that well.
Do you want to clean your intake, or your EGR?

Seafoam will help clean some things, but I really don't want to run that stuff through the upper intake to wash all the crap into the cylinders myself.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:51 PM   #5
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signmaster View Post
Do you want to clean your intake, or your EGR?
heh, came back to this thread because I saw the thread title and realized when I replied, I only discussed what was in the body of the post about the seafoam.

If you are wanting to clean the EGR, this is the right way
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt5lRTt6BsU

I do an annual throttle body and EGR cleaning. Takes about 1/2 hour~45 minutes, and maybe 50 cents worth of carb cleaner.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 10:05 AM   #6
S3aturnR
Master Member
S3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SivDre View Post

maybe it's just me, but i wouldn't get that seafoam crap near ANY engine i planned on keeping. next time you have to take a leak, piss in your engine and it will probably work better...

s3aturnr

"reno is a lot like maybury, except everyone's on crystal meth and prostitution's legal" - junior

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to S3aturnR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help S3aturnR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
S3aturnR is offline   Reply With Quote