SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2011, 01:07 PM   #1
bc007
bc007 is on a distinguished road

Question 2003 Ion Key stuck and won't come out.

I have a 2003 ion with 99k miles. I need help with figuring out what required to be changed for my Car ignition system. The problem is that the key won't make the last turn back to get it out of the ignition cylinder. It seems like I have this problem 50% of the time when I turn ignition off. Engine does get shutoff, but it is the last turn that is the problem. Once the key is stuck, either i have to wiggle quite a bit or start the car again, move few inches and then turn off. I have never found a good workaround. It seems to happen 50% of the time.

I am not sure if this can be fixed by Ignition switch replacement or I need to replace ignition cylinder itself. I have two brand new keys from Saturn, so I don't think itís a key problem. I had same issue with old key as well.

I did try searching in forum, but almost all I found, people had problem turning engine off itself.

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bc007's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bc007 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bc007 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2011, 01:20 PM   #2
AustinPower
AustinPower has a spectacular aura aboutAustinPower has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: 2003 Ion Key stuck and won't come out.

This hasn't happend to me yet, but check out this thread.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92569

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AustinPower's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AustinPower reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AustinPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:22 PM   #3
AustinPower
AustinPower has a spectacular aura aboutAustinPower has a spectacular aura about

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-2 Sedan

Check out this link too.
http://moontaj.com/passlock

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AustinPower's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AustinPower reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AustinPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 04:19 PM   #4
bc007
bc007 is on a distinguished road

OK..I guess I would have to try replacing ignition switch and see if the problem goes away. Thanks for the DIY..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bc007's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bc007 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bc007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:08 PM   #5
mathgeek
mathgeek is on a distinguished road

I am having the same issue with my '03 ION II. I read something about this problem might be do to the shifter, and that it might have to be replaced.
Anyone have any answers. thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mathgeek's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mathgeek reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mathgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:56 PM   #6
DigitalSaturns
DigitalSaturns is on a distinguished road

My key hung up a few times ....... got out my spair key problem solved. Had a new key cut at the dealer and thats been the end of that. Yes it could be the cylinder/tumbler part number 15785084, yes it could be the solenoid asm part number 15793413. In my case it was nothing more then a worn key. Keys are cheap, get a couple new ones.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DigitalSaturns's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DigitalSaturns reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DigitalSaturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 04:30 PM   #7
mathgeek

Thanks for the info. I don't believe it is the key, we have 3 and all of them do it. There are only 31,XXX miles on the car, so all three can't be worn. How hard is the solenoid to replace. When you click the button on the shift lever, if you hear a certain click then the key will turn and come out, otherwise if you don't, it won't.

Last edited by mathgeek; 07-05-2012 at 04:39 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help mathgeek reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-05-2012, 09:45 PM   #8
DigitalSaturns
DigitalSaturns is on a distinguished road

Under the console in the shifter area. I never changed one, can't be to tough. Like I tell everyone that has a GM car, get a couple new keys cut by the dealer and trash the old ones. Preventative maintenance if you will.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DigitalSaturns's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DigitalSaturns reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DigitalSaturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:58 PM   #9
mathgeek

Did you ever replace the ignition switch or the grease? It doesn't happen too often that it doesn't start when its cold, maybe a few times.
Have you ever had the power steering go out. Mine went out once, but its not under the recall. only down to 04 is under recall.
Just curious, thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-01-2014, 11:27 PM   #10
dottiebug
dottiebug is on a distinguished road

I have the same problem. I just had the recall from GM done on my '03 saturn ion. They replaced the switch and ignition lock cylinder. This was not for and did not fix the problem of the key not turning all the way off without reaching underneath and pressing the solenoid plunger which feels like a switch. (They said nothing when replacing the new switch if this ever happened then). I did not inform them of the problem either.

I just found a fairly new video on Youtube that concerns this very problem. Watch the video. Long story short, the shifter micro-switch is not engaging either because of a bad switch or a bad placement fit of the switch to where the plunger of the switch is not being depressed as to close the switch and therefore allow voltage to be applied to the ignition switch solenoid, freeing the cylinder to turn off.

The YouTube video title is "Saturn Ion key ignition stuck wont come out (solved) manual overide & troubleshoot " search for: video # v=xCO-yP7_cDU by Danroxye01

He made a later one to better explain with audio of what he found out
v=A3F8I9xv3nM June 2014

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dottiebug's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dottiebug reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dottiebug is offline   Reply With Quote