SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2013, 09:27 PM   #1
mjsmiley
mjsmiley is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L
Roll Eyes leak in sun roof (I think)

Lots of rain here lately. Seems that the leek happened suddenly. This is what I know so far. Water runs from somewhere high up. Gets the bit of roof just in front of the driver door but before the windshield wet, as in drips, the water goes down somewhere inside the plastic in front of door, and runs down to the floor and gets the carpet wet. The worst was the night it stormed all night and there was close to a gallon of water in the front floor. yuck.

Put clear cocking around the top of the windshield, around the front of the plastic rails where the roof rack attaches (there used to be rubber gasket there, but its gone). Ran the hose over the roof and there was still plenty of water coming in.

The back part of the retractible sunroof does not fit up tight and it seems to be where the water is coming in. My guess is that replacing the gasket might cost a good bit and I have just put a good bit into some other issues. Anyone have any ideas of a cheep fix? The sunroof seems to retract to the proper place, but it can be pushed down from the top maybe 1/4 inch of play that i bet should not be there. other than cocking it so it will no longer open, might there be a fix to keep the water out... could there be a clogged drain? I can not see any water until it gets to the cloth covered roof over and right in front and over the door. Then it runs down the inside of the plastic and onto the floor right by where the left foot might sit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mjsmiley's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mjsmiley reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mjsmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2013, 11:15 AM   #2
Chev_Ron
Chev_Ron is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: leak in sun roof (I think)

There are a couple of drains towards the front of the sunroof and a couple at the rear. In my case, the front drains were clogged and caused similar leaks that you mention. I took a long piece of cable and carefully ran/snaked them down the front drain holes. This cleared up my clogs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chev_Ron's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chev_Ron reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chev_Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:00 PM   #3
homerec130
homerec130 is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L
2006 VUE 3.5L

I agree with the clogged drains - for the first look. I ended up with the swimming pool option on the right drivers side last summer on my wife's 06 Vue. Found out all the drains were clogged. Mine was also covered by insurance as I was seeing some electrical issues - interior lights not working, tach and speedmeter not working and so forth. Found it is was the water getting into the connections on the passenger side footwell. Water was flowing down the A-pillar and then puddling on the floor.

Homer

Paul "Homer" Simpson
15 Ford Fiesta, Gray
06 Vue 3.5L, FWD, Storm Grey (Wife's Ride)

08 Vue 3.6L, FWD, Sunburst Orange - RIP 6T70

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to homerec130's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help homerec130 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
homerec130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:53 PM   #4
MichaelBrock
MichaelBrock is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

My 06 Saturn Vue has the same issue. I'm fairly certain that the driver's side drain is clogged. Water was accumulating in the "milk" bin on that side but is now overflowing when we get a big rain (which we have the last few days). I wasn't able to see the rear drain openings in the trough around the sun roof but I'm going to give that another shot (apparently it helps to only partially open the room) and try to snake some trimmer line down the drain to unclog it.

I have done some research but have failed to get a clear description of how to get to the drain ends in the back. Do you need to remove the rear body panel?

Thanks,

Michael

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MichaelBrock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MichaelBrock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MichaelBrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:49 PM   #5
kwguy
kwguy is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 3.0L

According to AllData, the glass will be 2mm below flush in the rear and 1mm in front. Look inside and you will see a hex screw at each corner. Loosen, push up on the glass and tighten the screws. If you are paranoid like me, you can put duct tape over the joints during the rainy season.
My trick for cleaning the drains is to take about 3ft of string trimmer line, put an end in a drill, snake the rest down the drain and then put the drill in reverse and slowly pull it out. Think of it like a plumbers pipe snake. Pour a little bit of water into the drain hole and you should see water dripping down by the tires.
Now for the carpet. You will need a shop vac, a can of Lysol, a box fan, and patience. Take the nozzle of the vac and put it straight down on the carpet. Hold it in place until you can see the carpet start to change color from drying. Move over about 2" and repeat. Keep doing this until the top side of the carpet feels mostly dry. Now yank off the threshold plate and peel back the carpet. You will see an insulation underpad on the carpet and a foam pad up near the fire wall. Do the vac procedure on both of these. If needed, you can squeeze the pads to get more water out. The more time you spend with the vac, the faster your carpet will dry. When everything feels mostly dry, spray everything with Lysol, lay the carpet over the seat and put the box fan into the foot well facing the insulated underpad. Turn it on and go do something else for at least 90mins. When you come back, pull the fan out and don't be surprised if there is a little bit of water on the floor due to gravity. Clean it up and if the pad still feels damp, put the fan back for another hour. When the insulates pad is dry, flip the fan around and have it blow on the foam pad. Come back in another hour. Keep at it until everything is bone dry. The first time I did this, it took about 6 hours total to get it clean and dry.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kwguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kwguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kwguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:05 AM   #6
mjsmiley
mjsmiley is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L
Happy Re: leak in sun roof (I think)

You are ALL AWESOME!!! I will have this fixed all by my self in no time! I did loosen the screws and push the sunroof up a bit the other day (as per info here) at this point the floor was wet enough that I could not tell if it was worse. My friend got it pretty dry with the shop vac, but since the problem was not fixed..... I will try the drain holes. It seems that it started very suddenly. so that seems more likely the problem than something wrong with the seal as what he thought.

This forum is so very helpful! I am so glad I found it.

Thank you

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mjsmiley's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mjsmiley reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mjsmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:06 AM   #7
MichaelBrock

2006 VUE 3.5L

With today off, I'm working on fixing this problem...however, I can't get to the back drain holes at all, much less be able to push air or a line through it. What is the secret to getting access to them? I'm thinking now that I might be better served to drop the headliner and go at it from there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help MichaelBrock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-04-2013, 08:46 AM   #8
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBrock View Post
With today off, I'm working on fixing this problem...however, I can't get to the back drain holes at all, much less be able to push air or a line through it. What is the secret to getting access to them? I'm thinking now that I might be better served to drop the headliner and go at it from there.
According to service manual you will need to drop headliner (many steps to do that - I'll email extracts if you PM address).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 02 Vue - Sunroof Rear Hose R2.pdf (100.7 KB, 66 views)

I rarely visit forum but respond to private messages (PM). PM creates email to phone & please include email address with question. Avoid using Visitor Message feature ... I almost never check those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:58 AM   #9
MichaelBrock

2006 VUE 3.5L

I have started working on this (thanks to some previous posts from you with diagrams). I'm currently stuck on removing the B pillar cover (the one with the front passenger seat belts attached). Removing the little square cover reveals a black clip and I'm no sure how to proceed. I have a history of forcing things and breaking clips. Any idea on how to remove that pillar cover? I'll probably be back once I make it to the next set of pillars.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-04-2013, 09:23 AM   #10
MichaelBrock

2006 VUE 3.5L

Far2Grumpy, I tried sending you a PM but they do not appear to be actually sending. The site isn't giving me any errors, just returns to my inbox and not showing that I have sent any.

Anyway, I can definitely use the diagrams, mike @ mikeworks.com

Thanks,

Michael

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-04-2013, 09:40 AM   #11
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBrock View Post
Far2Grumpy, I tried sending you a PM but they do not appear to be actually sending. The site isn't giving me any errors, just returns to my inbox and not showing that I have sent any.

Anyway, I can definitely use the diagrams, mike @ mikeworks.com

Thanks,

Michael
I received PM's (three at last count) and the files are on the way.

I rarely visit forum but respond to private messages (PM). PM creates email to phone & please include email address with question. Avoid using Visitor Message feature ... I almost never check those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 11:24 AM   #12
MichaelBrock

2006 VUE 3.5L

Okay, done! I never figured out how to remove the cover on the B pillar (behind the driver's seat) but in the end I didn't need to. I removed the C pillar cover(behind the back seat) , the "hooks for hanging stuff", and the trim around the hatch back. The C pillar cover removal required that I remove the seat belt attachment (50mm torx) but the rest were held in with clips which popped out easily enough. I did not figure out how to remove the single pin clip in the very back (seemed too easy to break so I didn't try to force it). With these covers removed I was able to drop the headliner enough to access the back drain connections where they attach to the trough around the sun roof. I disconnected the driver side hose (simple friction fit) and realized that the other end was not attached to anything. Turns out that you can access the point where this hose connects to the drain outlet through a hole in the c pillar (I didn't see this mentioned anywhere and I should have taken pictures). I was able to reach inside that hole and reconnect the line to the outlet. Blowing through the top of the hose I verified that the outlet was indeed clogged but I was able to blow it out with just lung power.

You can see a picture of the top of the hose connection in a picture in a thread titled: While my "sunroof doesn't" gently weep Unfortunately I was unable to post a link to the thread or image due to not having enough posts.

Again, despite what that post says, you can get access to the outlet through a hole in that pillar.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-25-2013, 09:54 AM   #13
MichaelBrock

2006 VUE 3.5L

An update for posterity: I was fairly certain I had fixed the issue by unclogging all of the drains. Turns out I was wrong. Recently the issue seems to have gotten worse! I dropped the headliner again and found that even the slightest amount of water around the sunroof would overflow the channel that leads to the drains and pour out onto the liner (how horrible is this design?) It turns out that the screws holding the sunroof glass had loosened a bit and there was too much play, leaving a gap at the back of the sunroof. Where normally only a small amount of water would get to the drain, the gap was allowing more water than the channels, which are simply open, could handle and they were overflowing. I pushed up on the glass to close the gap and tightened the screws. Seems to have been the fix....again.

Still trying to figure out why the radio speakers are all dead. Work in progress.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-24-2014, 09:27 AM   #14
gweimer1
gweimer1 is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 3.0L

I've been fighting the same issue with my 2002 Vue, and it started after $2700 in repair - my Vue is running the BEST it ever has at 226K miles - so my mechanic was talking about the drain routes after they finished my oil change. I did some digging, and found this. I'm going to be checking that today.

Cleaning Sun roof drains

2002 Vue - 194,000 miles and going strong

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gweimer1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gweimer1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gweimer1 is offline   Reply With Quote