SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2014, 05:03 PM   #21
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2
Default Re: 350 WHP SL1 Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleverbot View Post
Nothing against the wagons but aren't they a bit heavier then the SL2 and SC2? This is the only reason I didn't mention them since he is wanted to get "350 WHP ". Though it would be awesome to see the looks on peoples faces when they see this Saturn Wagon fly by them.
The "technical specs" on the various sites (kbb, Edmunds, cars.com) vary wildly, but generally, the wagons are about 50 lb heavier than the coupes, which are in turn about 50 lb heavier than the sedans. Availability (and veracity of the "daily driver" notion) would trump these negligible differences.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2014, 07:00 PM   #22
caveeagle
caveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of light

2005 VUE 2.2L
2001 SC2

so, the op wants to be taken seriously.. Thats fine, this same (or similar) topic comes up around once a month. I have seen some pretty crazy builds in my day and many of them should have been aborted before the first wrench was turned. Its all good! Even if this is just a 'hypothetical' discussion, I have no problem with that.

The OP does need to grow some thick skin. For every 1 of these projects that gets anywhere close to completion, there are probably >10 that never make it past 1st base. Thats fine, just realize many folks are doubters (for good reason), not haters (as you say).

I suggest you start off with clear project goals and parameters. Collecting cash is more important that parts. Save up your money and only buy parts when you find SUPER deals. You might even find somebodys half baked turbo-satty project you can pick up for a fraction of retail.

Mark
'05 Vue, '02SL1, '01SC2a, '01SC2b, '99SL1 :::::> '04 SVT Cobra, '67 Mustang Vert.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to caveeagle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help caveeagle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
caveeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:52 PM   #23
PlasticCarsRock
Master Member
PlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the rough

1995 SL2

The goal is entirely possible, but as others have said, not even slightly probable. Plan to spend close to 10,000 (or more) to do it right, and it definitely cannot be your daily driver. You can drive it all you want when you're done (although projects like this are never really done), but you better have something else as a backup.

On the off chance that this is actually going to happen, head over to sixthsphere and do some reading (a lot of reading). Just about everything you need to know should be there.

You want a gen3 block (or at least the tie plate from one). Rods and pistons will be forged (aftermarket), possibly custom, but you may be able to find some used for sale on sixthsphere. Megasquirt is probably your best bet for an ECM (there are plenty of options, but megasquirt is the most documented as that's what most people have used for turbo builds). You will definitely need bigger injectors (stock max out around 140-150hp whp in my experience) and a more powerful pump. The adjustable pressure return style fuel system from a mid-90s may be your best bet if you'll be using the stock rail and pressure regulator. Valves shouldn't matter much because the compression decrease will be done with the pistons. All seals should be replaced, of course, as well as all bearings, timing components, oil pump, etc. You'll probably want to have the crank re-ground if it has many miles. The entire rotating assembly will need to be balanced by a machine shop.

Stock DOHC manual trans should be fine, but you'll want a limited slip diff or at least weld the diff pin (or have someone else weld it if you don't have A LOT of experience with a welder).

How much automotive and fabrication experience do you have?

A better choice is probably an engine swap.

An even better choice, by far, is to get something better to start with (at least 6 cylinders, preferably 8, but either can easily make good power if there is good aftermarket support).

At least start out with an Sx2. There's more than just the engine that's different.

High compression build: .033" shaved/ported head, flat-faced valves; gen3 rods, pistons, tie-plate; OE header, custom CAI, SDA street cams with adjustable sprockets, WBO2, SAFCII, LSD. ASE A1-A8+L1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PlasticCarsRock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PlasticCarsRock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PlasticCarsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 12:53 PM   #24
94streetracer
94streetracer is on a distinguished road

I had issue posting last night but I'll try again. I am a machinist, pops an automotive mechanic and I have a fair amount of experience in metal fabrication as well as general automotive repairs. I have the ability to do simple machining my self and the shop I work at can probably do the rest (for cost at least). I have a thick skin because I know that others may see this as just another pipedream but I do plan on carrying this out. I am liking the Wagon idea more and more as I begin to think about it. I hadn't thought of putting an LSD in it but I like that idea as well. That will be included in the build most definatly. Many thanks to PlasticCarsRock for the info. I am begining to think about buying a separate vehicle for the project instead of messing with the daily driver though and a wagon is very possible. Thanks to all for your support / ideas for this project.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 94streetracer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 94streetracer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
94streetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:07 PM   #25
colonelhogan44
colonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nicecolonelhogan44 is just really nice

1998 SL2

Try and grab another car with a good body and a blown engine for about 500 bucks.

Have you seen the guy who put the VW turbodiesel into a Saturn? With a little tuning, he got the best of both worlds--awesome efficiency (65-70 mpg), good reliability and and the ability to smoke the front tires any time he pleased. That's what I'd be looking into, personally, if I have cash to blow.

Mechanical Engineer - I make parts, like blend door actuator gears.

2005 Volvo S40 T5 AWD - 62k
1998 SL2 - 240k
1993 Geo Tracker 4x4 - 134k
1996 Geo Tracker 4x4 - 106k
1987 Mercedes 300D - 154k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to colonelhogan44's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help colonelhogan44 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
colonelhogan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:29 PM   #26
screwpid
screwpid is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2

Get a bmw. 328i comes with about 200hp. Some junk yard parts will get you going fast for cheap. 318is are fun 4 cylinders. I play with alot of bimmers and surprisingly the E36's have alot of cheap parts online. If you like to do your own work they cost as much as a saturn to maintain. There is also a ton of fourms for the e36. Common these saturns are great but I wouldnt rice it out. The suspension alone says it all.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to screwpid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help screwpid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
screwpid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 04:19 PM   #27
94streetracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelhogan44 View Post
Try and grab another car with a good body and a blown engine for about 500 bucks.

Have you seen the guy who put the VW turbodiesel into a Saturn? With a little tuning, he got the best of both worlds--awesome efficiency (65-70 mpg), good reliability and and the ability to smoke the front tires any time he pleased. That's what I'd be looking into, personally, if I have cash to blow.
Turbo diesel does sound quite fun though! Nothing like rolling coal in a saturn... huh that kinda sounds cool but I think I'll leave that one for another time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 94streetracer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-14-2014, 04:43 PM   #28
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

If you can do your own machine work, find a rolled/crashed Ion Redline and make the drive-train bolt into the S-Series. Don't remember who dun it on 6sphere but the engine controls were nearly plug 'n' play with a 3rd gen if I remember right and the drivetrain was made easy by doing a front subframe swap. ~250hp "out of the box" and plenty of aftermarket support for the Ecotech's.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:36 PM   #29
94streetracer

Okay new issue and this one is more practical. Got to school for a NHS function. Went to start the car after the event and I get dead battery symptoms. It has an interstate battery and hasn't had issues in the past and has been going strong. Lights were off, acc. was off and everything. I figured that it was a bad connection or screwed up ground. Anyone have any advice? I have a few minutes to work on it before school in the morning (in the school parking lot by the way!) So any advice outside of what I just mentioned would be great. Thanks guys

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-14-2014, 08:41 PM   #30
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Um, start by load testing the battery. Put a slow charge in it. Look for a parasitic load. The usual....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:54 PM   #31
94streetracer

Dad's gonna swing by after work and look at it but if he can't figure it out I have to find a way to drag it back home, and on pretty short notice a trailer will be kinda hard to find.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-14-2014, 10:04 PM   #32
caveeagle
caveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of light

2005 VUE 2.2L
2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94streetracer View Post
Dad's gonna swing by after work and look at it but if he can't figure it out I have to find a way to drag it back home, and on pretty short notice a trailer will be kinda hard to find.
Consider this a good exercise to get you ready for the custom power train you have planned!

BTW: Just saw a cheap Ion Redline (wrecked) on the Chicago CL. Thats a blown 2.2 with a 5spd tranny. I am going to have to go search 6S to see how hard it is to drop that drive train into a 3rd gen SC2. That would be fun!

Mark
'05 Vue, '02SL1, '01SC2a, '01SC2b, '99SL1 :::::> '04 SVT Cobra, '67 Mustang Vert.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to caveeagle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help caveeagle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
caveeagle is offline   Reply With Quote