SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2014, 09:44 PM   #1
jessicag89
jessicag89 has a spectacular aura aboutjessicag89 has a spectacular aura about

Default Help! Front Bumper cover issue!

I live in Chicago and we've got a lot of snow. I was pulling out of a driveway over the snow that the snowplows left at the end of the driveway and BAM! My bumper cover came halfway off. Front bumper cover- all in one big piece but one side was still attached.
I was able to pull to a side street and pop it back in by lifting the plastic grill in the middle and slipping the front lip under that. I noticed little jaws that look like they slide onto a clip on each side and slid those in as well. Its held from a 20 minute drive home and to Taco Bell and back, shockingly enough!!

My question is-
Are there just clips that slide on the sides? I know the lip that's on top of the bumper is where it's supposed to be (behind the silver plastic with the saturn symbol). Are there any bolts with the front bumper cover that connect it to the car or actual bumper? or just slide ons?

I have a 2003 Saturn L300

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jessicag89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jessicag89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jessicag89 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2014, 10:24 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Help! Front Bumper cover issue!

Here's some info to go by, from the service manual;

Fascia Replacement - Front Bumper

1-Remove the push-in retainers from the front of the front wheelhouse panel.
2-Remove the lower front fascia push-in retainers.
3-Remove the upper front fascia push-in retainers.
4-Disconnect the electrical connector from the fog lamp.
5-Disengage the fascia to the fender attaching tabs.
6-Slide the front fascia forward.
7-Remove the front bumper fascia from the vehicle.

Perform the opposite to replace the bumper.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg f1.jpg (158.5 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg f2.jpg (164.8 KB, 50 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:09 PM   #3
jessicag89

Which is kind of what I did! So what I'm assuming is there are no bolts that might've fallen in the snow? Haha
I clipped it all in but I was just worried about there being screws or anything as such

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jessicag89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-06-2014, 11:43 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Push pins replaced nuts and bolts in places that rust so plastic holds plastic where its better than using metal fasteners. Try finding replacement push pins. They're more expensive.........

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-07-2014, 09:11 AM   #5
jessicag89

Whatever I can do to keep it where it's at!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-07-2014, 09:24 PM   #6
Russet
Russet will become famous soon enoughRusset will become famous soon enough

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicag89 View Post
Whatever I can do to keep it where it's at!!!
Can you provide a picture of the damage area? I know I had to order the push pins from Amazon is where I found those plastic push pins.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Russet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Russet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Russet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:25 PM   #7
jessicag89

I brought it into my mechanic and he said I only need the plastic rivets. I don't have any to compare the size!
Does anyone know what size they would be?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-10-2014, 05:34 PM   #8
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

These 'rivets' are known only to GM and parts dealers = $. A lengthy search starting anywhere like http://parts.nalleygmc.com/ or GMparts direct(.com?), ebay, local auto stores or even your mechanic can help find replacements.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-10-2014, 07:24 PM   #9
Jonnyferrari
Jonnyferrari is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Mine was in place, but missing a few clips so I took a nut/bolt and tightened/locked them into place to make sure the two were held together where clips were missing. It's an easy fix if you can get under the car, although I recommend jacking it up on stands.

[Sold] 2000 Saturn LS2 premium package; 120k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jonnyferrari's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jonnyferrari reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jonnyferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:42 PM   #10
Russet

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

These are for the wheel well I forgot but have to check my invoices to find the plastic push pins for under the front bumper.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0040CX40M/...I34N1VMEVV6Z7E

I bought two boxes for extra as the single part from dealer is wow..expensive so I used that part number and referenced in Amazon and found the part far cheaper 25/box but well worth.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Russet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-13-2014, 10:04 AM   #11
Russet

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Forgot to mention no once you remove all the retainer plastic push pin it comes off by sliding the bumper forward there are two metals carriage slides on the top of the bumper side close to the wheel wells that secure it in place but will allow you to slide it forward completely when removing the front bumper. I done it enough on my own to but those wheel well are push pin type the same with the front on top near the symbol are push pin and don't forget under the bumper there are 4 more push pins that need to be removed before you can push the bumper completely forward and off this was on a 2000 LS2 so the 2003 doesn't show the same.

I found the part for the wheel well: 21077123
rear back of center bottom wheel well : 21075686
front upper by symbol: 10157900

You can use this part number on Amazon or eBay to find them and see if they match yours.
The front for my 2003 - I haven't taken off yet but it does show two other push pin in there but til I take it off I don't know what those attach to?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-14-2014, 09:55 PM   #12
born again
born again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of light

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

If you are in serious competition for "How Many Miles on Your L-Series" then you run the risk that the steel plates on the upper ends of the front bumper cover that engage the studs on the body will rust away to nothing. Also, if you break up that cover, say from contact with snow banks, the metal plates must be removed from the old one and attached to the new one. You drill out a rivet to remove them. The good part of this design is that the bumper cover can be removed from the car in much less than 10 minutes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to born again's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help born again reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
born again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:31 AM   #13
jessicag89

Ally's I did was went to Oreillys Auto and bought the closest size I could for the wheel well covers. To do both sides it cost about 10$ and was easy! Did it in the parking lot and took about 5minutes!

Now my next problem, ever since this my temperature display in the car shows me 0 C external. Aw man! What do
I need to do now? Hahahaha

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-17-2014, 12:33 AM   #14
Russet

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Ally's I did was went to Oreillys Auto and bought the closest size I could for the wheel well covers. To do both sides it cost about 10$ and was easy! Did it in the parking lot and took about 5minutes!

Now my next problem, ever since this my temperature display in the car shows me 0 C external. Aw man! What do
I need to do now? Hahahaha
Under your front bumper on the driver side above where the fog lights are is the outside temp sensor. Yours might've have gone out and that is the spot where it is at. So you need to remove the bumper or raise the front safetly and look up to see the sensor and see if it ok or not damaged and replace it or check if the wiring is loose and see if that works and if not a new temp sensor might be required. I know I did it and notice something there and found out it was the temp sensor when I read the owners manual.

Last edited by Russet; 02-17-2014 at 12:48 AM.. Reason: revise

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-08-2014, 04:32 PM   #15
jessicag89

What would something like this cost to get fixed?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-09-2014, 03:38 PM   #16
Russet

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
What would something like this cost to get fixed?
Not sure of the price but you have to go to GM dealer and with your VIN ask them how much that temp sensor is or go to a local Auto parts store and ask if they know what that part would cost. From what I saw it look like a plug in but it was secure to the inside under bumper frame location and might be part of the bumper or the body side of the Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!