SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2013, 02:28 PM   #1
Doug C
Doug C will become famous soon enoughDoug C will become famous soon enough

2008 Outlook XE
Question Sparkplugs > what-where-how

I did a search a couple weeks ago on this forum, but only other saturn models popped.

What ?
the dealerships database show irridiums only. 2 wks ago a couple of them had them on sale for $10cdn ea.
google.ca search on that style indicates more a longevity vs performance issue, when comparing to platinums and old tech copper.

Where/How?
One dealership printed off the parts schematic which showed plug under a 'coil' which is released from block by one screw !?
I believe I've read somewhere to access top/side of block (ie. sparkplugs);
_ remove oil cap, wiggle pull up on shroud to reveal
_ then ??? should see coils and screws on both sides

Buuuut a friend who has an older grand prix just shared with me that he replaced his plugs on it ... first 3 front side easy peasy removal buuuut alas could not remove backside 3 w/o let loose the block, lift and rotate to access the backside 3 !! He also has '08 Outlook but did not review its needs, just hopes not same-oh access complications.
I figure since there is nothing in the owner manual for them vs underhood air filter location and removal (altho' they neglect mentioning loosen up the collar band before attempting to remove air filter cover !), this is like a old grandprix plug location . . .

Dang it . . . . still have not seen/heard of chilton or haynes manual for our Outlooks or even (generic) lambda (sp?) platform vehicles !

Can anyone share the pertinent pages for sparkplug removal from the factory manual ?

Thanks for your time and any info,

Doug C

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Doug C's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Doug C reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Doug C is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2013, 07:52 PM   #2
Doug C

2008 Outlook XE
Attention Re: Sparkplugs > what-where-how

I bloopered . . . should ah put a question mark on the end of the the subject line, as I was hoping on info'

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Doug C reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-13-2014, 05:37 PM   #3
Doug C

2008 Outlook XE
Idea Re: Sparkplugs > what-where-how

Shucks, even posted on that other seemingly busier forum but no response there either {granted it seems to be mod' by manufacturer who ultimately want ya to spend money in THEIR service bays}.

doug c

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-20-2014, 06:31 PM   #4
Doug C

2008 Outlook XE
Attention Re: Sparkplugs > what-where-how

weeell I received approx. 3 PMs from a forum poster which i compiled into;
"•Firing Order 1-2-3-4-5-6 •Spark Plug Gap 1.1mm 0.0433 in
_ just pull the beauty cover off.. _ you will need some crates to stand on for the back bank _ each coil has 1 10mm bolt to hold it in and 1 connecter to it _ there is a connector lock.. if you use a pocket screwdriver pry the lock out from the connecter about 1/4 inch then in the center there will be a tab, push down while sliding back and the pos-i-lock will come out.. doesn't have to but makes it easier.. don’t need to put them back unless you want ! _use a 12 inch and 22 inch extension (my snap-on sparkplug socket has a
u-joint on it already).... but any u-joint and extension in combo with the plug socket will do.. rear banks kind of a ‘bear’ without pulling the plentum, but can be done.. _ use long ext. in the frt. and 12 inch in the back. "

This a.m., friend (who can pull engines and replace successfully) and I, with listed gear went in 'under-the-hood'. I pulled the "beauty" cover We looked, and . . . "hmm where are these coils oookay there is the front 3' and now where is the bk bank of 3 ... oh sh*
Now how did the "forum" contrib' get hands/tools back thru say a 2" opening and... must have long thin strong fingers ! We decided to back out of this, which initially sounded like not tooo bad a job.

Early p.m. my friend called with a y'tube vid' link which had been posted recently for the similiar acadia platform;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAKvL12mhVc

A tad more than "not tooo bad a job", ehhhh !?

But at least I now know, > what-where-how !!

later,
doug c

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-20-2014, 11:09 PM   #5
brop52
brop52 has a spectacular aura aboutbrop52 has a spectacular aura about

2008 VUE 2.4L
Default Re: Sparkplugs > what-where-how

It's a lot tougher to reach the back ones in all 6 cylinder vehicles. One of the downsides of a more powerful vehicle.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to brop52's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help brop52 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
brop52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:37 AM   #6
pencerbick
pencerbick is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Sparkplugs > what-where-how

ya its very difficult in that position..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pencerbick's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pencerbick reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pencerbick is offline   Reply With Quote