SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2014, 08:28 PM   #1
Natryn
Natryn is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default P1516 - 2000 LS2 (v6 auto)

Hey guys, quick background on my car. I've had it since 2007, it is my first vehicle. It's at just about 160,000 miles. For past repairs, I've replaced a spark plug, the MAF sensor, and the fuel filter.

Problem:
Error code(s): P1516

What happens and when does it happen:
Car switches into low power mode. "Low power" status is maintained until I cycle the car on/off a few times after pulling over. (May also be timing related, but after 3-4 key off/on's it disappears so I've been doing that. ) Afterwards the vehicle is fine for a seemingly random amount of time.

I've noticed it doesn't tend to start happening if I refrain from going over 45mph, after which it can happen at any speed/point, and increases in frequency once it starts happening.

ONE TIME, after attempting to get a hair cut, it died about 13 times. On the 13th time, the ignition would not respond. Turn key forward, one click then nothing. Towed vehicle home, next morning, it works again.

I went to the junk yard today and found a 2000 LW, took out the TAC, popped it on mine, and no change in symptoms.

I've noticed when it kicks into limp mode, it will either happen silently, or the RPMS will jump and quickly kick into limp. Both have happened. I've also noticed hard shifting(a roadbump feeling) after it does this, but only sometimes.

I'm going to see if I can find any loose connections in the circuit tomorrow, though the indeterminacy of the issue is a little disheartening, also because I'm a newbie to searching for shorts, and I have a very basic analog voltmeter.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Natryn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Natryn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Natryn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2014, 09:44 PM   #2
Natryn

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: P1516 - 2000 LS2 (v6 auto)

Can't find the edit post button, but indeterminancy should say intermittent-ness. Also here's the P1516 DTC for reference:

DTC P1516

Circuit Description
The ECM determines the exact position of the throttle butterfly with the use of two independent oppositely scaled sensors. The actual and commanded throttle positions are continuously monitored by the ECM. If a significant difference exists between the two values for a given period of time, this DTC will set.

DTC Parameters
DTC P1516 will set if commanded and actual throttle position are not in agreement when:

Condition exists for greater than 0.5 seconds

P1516 is a (type A) DTC.

Diagnostic Aids
Possible causes:

Throttle plate movement limited by carbon deposits
Circuit failure to throttle motor
Throttle position sensor not functioning properly (check for TP sensor DTCs)
Throttle body

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Natryn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-02-2014, 10:45 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Was this TSB ever done? Service Engine Soon (SES) and/or Reduced Power Lamp Illuminating Following Cold Engine Start Up In Subfreezing Temperatures with Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) P0638, P1510 and/or P1516 Stored in ECM #04-06-04-085 - (Nov 22, 2004)

Service Engine Soon (SES) and/or Reduced Power Lamp Illuminating Following Cold Engine Start Up In Subfreezing Temperatures, Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC) P0638, P1510 and/or P1516 Stored in Engine Control Module (ECM) (Re-locate Small Primary Positive Crankcase Ventilation [PCV] Hose)
2000-2005 Saturn L-Series Vehicles with 3.0L V-6 Engine (VIN R - RPO L81)

Some customers may comment on the Service Engine Soon (SES) and/or Reduced Power lamp illuminating and limited throttle response immediately following cold engine start up during subfreezing temperatures. Diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) P0638 or P1510 and/or P1516 may be stored in the engine control module (ECM). This condition may be caused by crankcase vapors inside the throttle body collecting at the throttle plate base as engine cools down while shut off, resulting in restricted throttle plate movement immediately following cold engine start up during subfreezing temperatures. Re-locate primary positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) hose from throttle body to intake manifold upper plenum.

For a full reprint, pm an email address.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg relocating pcv port.jpg (109.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg new pcv port and fitting.jpg (146.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg relocated pcv port.jpg (139.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg plugged pcv port.jpg (174.4 KB, 15 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:59 PM   #4
Natryn

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I have not, though it doesn't have issues with dying on a cold start. There's no blockage in the throttle plate, carb cleaned it really good and it has normal range of motion.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-04-2014, 12:50 PM   #5
Natryn

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Follow-up: Finances allowed me to finally pick up a cheap ECM. Found one for my exact year / model / engine size. Haven't done a calibration on it, but I popped it in, did the manual passlock relearn procedure, and drove it all day. Didn't die once!

Note about symptoms: Past couple days before I finally got it replaced, a new symptom occured. The car would randomly not detect fuel on keyup. haven't pulled the code yet but I would have to sit there and key off/on or turn the key forward without igniting until it detected the half a tank I had in it.

TLDR: Sometimes....it IS the ECM.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!