SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2013, 03:30 PM   #1
sandycheeks
sandycheeks is on a distinguished road

Default knocking noise

I have a 95 SC2 saturn, I was driving it at highway speeds when I got to someones house smoke was coming out of the hood, I assumed the one oil leak had came back, so I checked my oil, it was almost at the bottom of the dip stick, I thought I was on level ground and added some oil, did not have enough to put it at the top of the dipstick, so when I went home my car was smoking and making a knocking sound...

The oil had apparently went one quart over the dip stick, but I am not sure if it was the oil that caused the knocking sound or whatever has happened earlier with the smoke. I started the car and tried to find the knocking source of the knocking sound with no luck, and there was no oil on the engine. The car was running for 5 minutes while I was looking for the source of the sound but the smoke never came back.

What should I do or look for? I have came to the understanding some cars are okay being a quart over, so I was wondering if the faster driving could have done something to it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sandycheeks's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sandycheeks reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sandycheeks is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2013, 12:57 AM   #2
satlite440
satlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to behold

2001 SL2
Default Re: knocking noise

if it is overfull now drain all of it out into a clean pan..use the old oil and fill it back up to the full line/4qts.. restart(this is where everyone jumps in to say don't do it...)the reason i say use the old oil is if you do have a rod knock due to high milage and wear at least you are not out the money for new oil..if by some chance you fill it to where it is suposed to be and drive/run it and the noise is gone (you will eather know right away or with in 1 mile) you can do an oil&filter change...hth

shure you can trust the government,just ask us indians all about it...

heavy line the final protective fire line of the dealership

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to satlite440's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help satlite440 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
satlite440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:26 AM   #3
sandycheeks

I had someone looked at it, he said it was not enough oil to hurt the car, but apparently someone dropped a bolt in the engine and that messed it up pretty bad because they never got it back out. I am not exactly sure what we are going to have to replace, but thanks for taking the time and replying.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help sandycheeks reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-31-2013, 10:39 AM   #4
satlite440
satlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to beholdsatlite440 is a splendid one to behold

2001 SL2

and exactly how do they know this?????????? dropped it in where the oil fill?while doing internal work????

shure you can trust the government,just ask us indians all about it...

heavy line the final protective fire line of the dealership

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to satlite440's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help satlite440 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
satlite440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:49 AM   #5
SL19302
Master Member
SL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to all

2000 SW2
2002 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycheeks View Post
I had someone looked at it, he said it was not enough oil to hurt the car, but apparently someone dropped a bolt in the engine and that messed it up pretty bad because they never got it back out. I am not exactly sure what we are going to have to replace, but thanks for taking the time and replying.
How exactly did someone drop a bolt into the engine? Was there engine work done in the past???

2015 Subaru Forester Limited "Prinny"
2000 SW2 Still Running Strong- 160K Traded In
2002 SL1 Still has Its Training Wheels on at 88K Traded In

CHECK YOUR OIL!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL19302's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL19302 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL19302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 01:05 PM   #6
Razzle Dazzle
Advanced Member
Razzle Dazzle is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

You would have to take the oil pan off to confirm that bit about a bolt. Because that's the only place it would go. And the bolt would have to be very small to travel with the oil, and if it did it would get picked up by the filter.

Change your oil filter first, if you have a FRAM filter they have paper insides, cardboard. Under enough pressure it will completely drain back and cause what sounds like rod knock. . It just so happens, being that overfull would cause just that.

Too much oil in the engine can also caused blown gaskets, seals, and all sorts of other pressure sensitive aspects of the engine. So overfilling it, if the engine is very worn, could theoretically cause rod knock.

Always consider the angle the engine is sitting at before reading your oil fill level. If you're not sure, it's safe to drive a half-quart low, versus overfilling it so drastically.

'12 Chevrolet Cruze, 1.4T M/T 101k
Miss my White 95 SC2, said goodbye at 213k, 7 years of ownership.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Razzle Dazzle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Razzle Dazzle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Razzle Dazzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 09:27 AM   #7
sandycheeks

well it was my family, I should have done it myself. its extremely cold right now so the car is still broken down. It has 3 more bolts to be taken off then I should be able to get to the oil pan. If it was not caused by the bolt then I just bought another saturn, we are going to swap engines since the one I just bought is pretty much junk besides the engine. I will be selling whats good out of the car though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!