SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2013, 06:54 PM   #1
arizonajones
arizonajones is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
Default Heavy Vibration in while stopped in 'Drive'

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone might have insight into this:

-The car has intense vibration while sitting still with tranny in Drive. In Park, mild vibration, in Neutral, almost none. I changed the top motor mount less than a year ago and it helped a lot. But the vibration was originally more 'top-passenger' side oriented. Now it feels like its all over - Passenger/driver top/bottom. Now, in addition, it occasionally downshifts while coasting downhill when it shouldn't. -Related/unrelated IDK?

Background info:
2000 SL2 . It's got about 65,000mi on it.
The right front cradle is slightly warped from it whacking a low curb about 9 years ago. It has semi-new spark plugs, fresh oil, tires, serpentine belt, and clean, full tranny fluid. Has no service codes firing. Has not had a tune-up/timing service in a very long time, though.

I was thinking I would change the upper motor mount again, the 2 dogbone mounts and the trans mount and see if that was all it was. BUT... does anyone think it could be something else, before I bother changing mounts? - Torque converter? Timing chain? I'm just trying to decide on the most efficient to-do list.

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to arizonajones's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help arizonajones reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
arizonajones is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2013, 08:56 PM   #2
off-track
Master Member
off-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura aboutoff-track has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
Default Re: Heavy Vibration in while stopped in 'Drive'

Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonajones View Post
I changed the top motor mount less than a year ago and it helped a lot
What kind of mount did you replace it with? Many of the part store aftermarket mounts are garbage.

Have you read new or returning owners checklist? Item #12 in the second post details the differences.

1997 - SL2, barebones, 161k, Auto - Rebuild complete and.. burnt a valve 20k later Arrgh!
Purchased 114k 10/07
Added OEM CC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to off-track's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help off-track reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
off-track is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:31 PM   #3
TomM96
TomM96 will become famous soon enough

The initial post is good advice--

The warped cradle won't help-- might hurt alignment of mounts

On my car {'97SW2 w. TAAT & 196kMi} when i notice occasional rough idle , especially in drive (which is beginning to occur now) , i generally pull the spark plugs , find that one plug has begun to foul , and replace it; and it starts/idles better. I do that about every 6,000 miles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TomM96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TomM96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:45 PM   #4
SL19302
Master Member
SL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to all

2000 SW2
2002 SL1

Check the top engine mount for cracking or sag, If you DID NOT use an OEM Saturn mount more then likely thats why your having issues again, Also did you loosen and re-tighten the lower passenger side engine dog bone mount bracket on the engine cradle? Doing this takes the pre-load off the mount and aligns everything correctly.

2015 Subaru Forester Limited "Prinny"
2000 SW2 Still Running Strong- 160K Traded In
2002 SL1 Still has Its Training Wheels on at 88K Traded In

CHECK YOUR OIL!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL19302's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL19302 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL19302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 10:15 PM   #5
arizonajones

2000 SL2

thanks for the advice, everybody.

I replaced the first one with one from Autozone, which I'm pretty positive was a frowny face.

I found the first gen top mount at Rock Auto so I went ahead and ordered that and the transmission mount (from same manufacturer.) They will be here in about a week, so I'll replace them then and let you know what happens.

Do you think replacing the dogbones is worth it, too?

I also just bought and gapped a fresh batch of NGKs I'll put in this weekend and see if that helps, too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help arizonajones reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-20-2013, 10:37 PM   #6
SL19302
Master Member
SL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to all

2000 SW2
2002 SL1

Quote:
Do you think replacing the dogbones is worth it, too?

I also just bought and gapped a fresh batch of NGKs I'll put in this weekend and see if that helps, too.
I would inspect the dogbone mounts for wear, Theres a good change those are on their way out from the worn top engine mount and trans mount, All four mounts work together and when one gets worn it will stress the other three.

2015 Subaru Forester Limited "Prinny"
2000 SW2 Still Running Strong- 160K Traded In
2002 SL1 Still has Its Training Wheels on at 88K Traded In

CHECK YOUR OIL!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL19302's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL19302 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL19302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 12:33 AM   #7
ssewall
ssewall is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

Since the frowny is basically defective to begin with I'd start with that as others have said.

The dog bones themselves don't really "wear out," it's the rubber bushings that will eventually give. Frankly, in 65k miles I'd have a hard time believing that to be the case unless the car was stored under conditions that would allow them to rot. I'll add that the price of a brand new OE dog bone will knock you out of your seat, and the aftermarket mounts are complete junk. You'll wish you kept the originals. What most people do is replace the bushings once they are worn to that point, that way they can keep the high quality OE strut.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssewall's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssewall reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:16 PM   #8
arizonajones

2000 SL2

Hi all,

quick update:

-Replaced old Autolite plugs with new, properly gapped NGKs. out of the 4, one of the Autolite's gaps was too tight, and one too wide.
-Replaced top motor mount and bottom transmission mount. Good deal on the non-frowny style top-mount at RockAuto.

The vibration is definitely improved, but not totally gone. I'm going to look into getting new rubber for the dogbones eventually.

The only thing not noticeably better is the weirdness with down shifting while coasting downhill (also a short increase in RPMs when braking, before slowing down.)

I'm looking into replacing the ECTS, as I see some threads that relate weird idling issues to them. Sound worth doing?

Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-07-2014, 04:54 PM   #9
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

Quote:

I'm looking into replacing the ECTS, as I see some threads that relate weird idling issues to them. Sound worth doing?

Thanks.
Since I have a 2002 model, I never messed with it. But most peeps here will tell you yes. Keep in mind that the wire connections on the ECTS tend to be a common issue as well.

2002 SL2 Manual - new in November, 2001
Sticker: $13,995 As of 09/30/17: 223,751 Miles - SOLD

2013 Mazda 3 HB - new in October 2012
Sticker: $20,850 As of 09/30/17: 38,381 Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TXSaturn02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TXSaturn02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TXSaturn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 11:12 PM   #10
arizonajones

2000 SL2

one more quick update on idle wackiness:

now, when pulling into stop in a parking spot its RPMs will shoot up to 3000. This has happened 3 or 4 times in the last 2 days now.

I'm definitely doing the ECTS this week, but is there anything else worth checking that would cause such an extreme jump?

Seems so weird to me that there are no codes firing when something is obviously wrong.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-01-2014, 02:41 PM   #11
arizonajones

2000 SL2

UPDATE:

I cleaned out the throttle body and idle air control valve (which was coated with carbon) and it no longer sticks while revving.

I saw massive amounts of carbon buildup in the intake, while cleaning the throttle body so I'm looking into some kind of de-carbon cleaning treatment. Maybe Seafoam??? I'm also way overdue for a transmission fluid flush so that's on the way too.

Hopefully I can get to them soon and see how smooth I can get this car to run...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!