SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2014, 01:06 PM   #1
analogthought
analogthought is a jewel in the roughanalogthought is a jewel in the roughanalogthought is a jewel in the roughanalogthought is a jewel in the rough

1995 SW2
Default Interior HVAC lights 95 SW2- sorry if this is already answered somewhere

I've searched and searched to find out the exact size bulbs for the temperature slider for my 1995 SW2. I watched richpins life saving videos and got the how to for removal/replacement - but nowhere do I see or find anything other than that they are NEO wedge bulbs. After two trips to autozone - the first their computer telling me the wrong bulbs, the second just a guess - I'm at a loss. There is no sylvania brand bulb package with the words "neo wedge bulb" on it... furthermore, from what i recall richpin didn't specify nor has anyone else. Anyone have ANY help on this? Thanks in advance to all, if nothing else for this site existing in the first place - it's been a great help so far!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to analogthought's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help analogthought reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
analogthought is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2014, 01:35 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Interior HVAC lights 95 SW2- sorry if this is already answered somewhere

Did you try Googling 'Neo wedge bulbs'? When I couldn't find replacement 3rd brake light lamps, I reused the plastic bases by breaking the wire welds and simply finding the same lamps and inserting them for a perfect fit. A press fit without soldering wires. They work and haven't caused any problems. Just my 2-cents, to save the aggravation of paying for overpriced replacements from the dealer when they weren't available in stores. The bulbs were/are.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:42 PM   #3
analogthought
analogthought is a jewel in the roughanalogthought is a jewel in the roughanalogthought is a jewel in the roughanalogthought is a jewel in the rough

1995 SW2
Default Re: Interior HVAC lights 95 SW2- sorry if this is already answered somewhere

thanks fdryer for the quick reply! I have googled every variation I can think of "neo wedge bulb size for 95 saturn s series" etc. etc. Every search comes up with a half baked list of bulb replacement sizes for everything but what I'm looking for or images of what a neo wedge bulb looks like. Since they are (seemingly, so far) a HUGE pain to remove, I have yet to just rip them out and take them in to match up the size, which is likely what I'll have to end up doing. Just seems someone, somewhere, would have a full list floating around of bulb specifics that even include interior, less oft replaced bulbs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help analogthought reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-28-2014, 02:37 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Ahhh, I see. I simply left off '95 Saturn' so Google will have a larger amount of 'hits' resulting in more sites. I clicked 'images' so I can see the various bulbs. When I searched for my 3rd brake light bulbs, one number was for the entire assembly while the lamp had its own number so I tried searching for plain bulbs matching the bulb number and found them. Cheaper too for anyone interested in DIY repairs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-28-2014, 03:41 PM   #5
analogthought

1995 SW2

Still no luck... but thanks for the advice! I'm pretty good with the google but I'm kind of shocked how difficult it's been to find this. The closest I've come anywhere is another thread that has 10 year old info/posts on how it was a "dealer only" item. For a bulb I'm pretty sure that can't still be the case.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-28-2014, 04:46 PM   #6
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Any markings on the wedge lamp or bulb? Can you post a picture? This site restricts image size to 'old school' pic file size to 150kb or less to allow uploading for display. Far too many new members don't realize their cameras/cell phones take high res images that are often 1mb or higher so this site refuses uploads as being too large. Simply using Paint or any other image software to resize images down to less than 250kb is often accepted (and mysteriously shows a lower file size upon acceptance). I do it all the time. A new member tried uploading his images and wasn't aware of size limitations, instead linking his pics to another site. I simply copied his pics (1mb+ file size) and resized it for uploading here.

If you can upload an image or two, a member may be come across this thread and suggest a solution.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-28-2014, 05:19 PM   #7
eb121209
eb121209 has a spectacular aura abouteb121209 has a spectacular aura about

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogthought View Post
I've searched and searched to find out the exact size bulbs for the temperature slider for my 1995 SW2. I watched richpins life saving videos and got the how to for removal/replacement - but nowhere do I see or find anything other than that they are NEO wedge bulbs. After two trips to autozone - the first their computer telling me the wrong bulbs, the second just a guess - I'm at a loss. There is no sylvania brand bulb package with the words "neo wedge bulb" on it... furthermore, from what i recall richpin didn't specify nor has anyone else. Anyone have ANY help on this? Thanks in advance to all, if nothing else for this site existing in the first place - it's been a great help so far!
Never heard of these bulbs before, but are these it?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eb121209's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eb121209 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eb121209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:18 PM   #8
carfreak09
carfreak09 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1

When I researched it, the bulb size was either #73 or 74. I think it was 73 which are readily available at local auto parts stores. The neowedge bulbs are used to light up the ac, recirculate, and rear defroster buttons.

Last edited by carfreak09; 01-28-2014 at 06:25 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to carfreak09's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help carfreak09 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
carfreak09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:59 PM   #9
mattwithcats
mattwithcats will become famous soon enoughmattwithcats will become famous soon enough

2002 SL2

Super Bright LED's has 74's, six colors, two brightness levels.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/searc...nt-bulbs/pc74/

2002 Silver SL2, manual, 5th gear swap (.605), 78,000 miles, black badges,
205/60R15 "H" rated tires, 5mm spacers rear...
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30, NAPA 41516...
NGK BKR6E-11 spark plugs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattwithcats's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattwithcats reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattwithcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:10 AM   #10
analogthought

1995 SW2

Thanks guys, for all the help! I think this answers it. Now if I could just buy that piece of flattened welding wire richpin used to release the bulb lock - oh and the snow and ice would melt away, I'd get out and try the 73 or 74 bulbs. I'll definitely post results once they happen. Thanks again!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-29-2014, 11:23 AM   #11
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogthought View Post
oh and the snow and ice would melt away, I'd get out and try the 73 or 74 bulbs. I'll definitely post results once they happen. Thanks again!
Check the mfr site for the bulb you want to use. From what I have seen, the 73 has lower lumen output but will last significantly higher hours

One place I checked shows 15,000 hours for the 73 bulb but only 500 hours for the 74 bulb (but the 74 bulb was over twice as bright)
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...ight=dash+bulb

I think when people were saying OEM only, they were referring to the combo of bulb + plastic base. Though I think I have seen some links where you can buy them together aftermarket.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:17 PM   #12
analogthought

1995 SW2

#74 sylvania bulbs work like a champ! Also, if you're like me and trying to follow richpins vid on this - I'm not sure why he removed the casing for the bulb but I didn't find that to be necessary at all. I just used my multitool and some cloth to pull the old bulbs out of the casing and then snapped the new ones into place. Thanks again for all the responses!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!