SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2014, 11:33 PM   #1
MikeyyEbyxoxo
MikeyyEbyxoxo is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
Default installing a Remote Start/Alarm in a 1995 SL2?

hello, I am wondering if I could install an aftermarket alarm system / Remote Start system into my 1995 SL2 5 speed, and If it would be quite difficult? it appears to be compatible with manual and automatic cars, and if so, would it be overly difficult? the model is a AutoStart AS-6880TWSU(US).

1995 SL2 227k Manual
"its not a Saturn if it doesn't burn oil"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MikeyyEbyxoxo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MikeyyEbyxoxo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MikeyyEbyxoxo is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2014, 10:35 AM   #2
MadPuppy
Advanced Member
MadPuppy is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
Default Re: installing a Remote Start/Alarm in a 1995 SL2?

I have not installed a remote start system but have installed an alarm system in a 98 Saturn before....

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=188795

National Debt is a loan, with nothing of serious value given by the lender in exchange for your time and labor, it's a loan we can't pay off, and the financial system as it is would end if we did.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MadPuppy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MadPuppy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MadPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:48 AM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyyEbyxoxo View Post
hello, I am wondering if I could install an aftermarket alarm system / Remote Start system into my 1995 SL2 5 speed, and If it would be quite difficult? it appears to be compatible with manual and automatic cars, and if so, would it be overly difficult? the model is a AutoStart AS-6880TWSU(US).
The order of difficulty depends on your basic electrical knowledge, understanding that almost every signal the alarm/remote start is of the wrong polarity from what the Saturn provides so relays are involved, and an actual FSM or subscription to ALLData for that car. The Haynes manual will not work.

There are very few people on here who have made these installs personally and are able to walk through the process. Each and every one of these units is sufficiently different from all the others to require some time and research to be able to intelligently advise a poster. MadPuppy can explain in detail how to install the unit he used into a 98 Saturn but that does not directly translate to a 95 as there are critical differences. The reason these alarm shops charge an arm and a leg to make these installs is you really do have to know what you are doing, have vehicle specific info, and stand on your head under the dash for a couple of hours. And even then the alarm shop will use crimp connectors and tap-a-lines and you can expect random failures in 3 to 4 years due to internal splice corrosion. So to do it right you have to be accomplished in wire splicing and soldering, or willing to learn a new skill.
They were not interested in posting the install for the AS-6880TWSU9US) but looking at the AS-6870TW with the wild assumption that there is some similarity the install looks possible as long as it is carefully thought out in advance and it appears that with options it should either start or leave you wit a non flooded engine and enough battery that you have a chance of starting the car yourself. I would talk to the local dealer and some customers and check the overall satisfaction before plunking down any real money.

Bottom line find local dealer and get access to the actual Saturn wiring information that they actually have. With that you or someone else can figure out what type of nightmare it might be to wire and setup.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 03:01 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Scare tactics aside, your '95 manual is about as simple as it can get since it doesn't have any alarm/theft deterrent system that disables any part of the EFI system to prevent starting and driving away. The lack of GM's Passlock or Passkey (rfid) makes it somewhat easier for installation. The only complication is the difference in safety relative to autos or manuals. Manuals require an extra measure of safety to ensure the xmission isn't left in gear or falls into any gear when remote starting. It doesn't take too much imagination to see what would occur if the parking brake doesn't work to hold the car in place while in gear if remote starting occurs (worse case scenario). Safety wiring in any kit should ensure the remote will never start the engine if one or both do not meet the requirements.

In theory, the parking brake is engaged (previously checked to stop a car from moving) and xmission in neutral before the remote start circuit allows starting. If you do not have wiring diagrams to help with installation then it may be wiser to find a shop capable of these installs and pay the price. Good shops familiar with remote starts, alarm and radio systems would have expertise in electronics and wiring to make most installations easier than anyone not familiar with car wiring, EFI systems and safety requirements to ensure remote starting never occurs in gear. The phrase "Do it right or don't do it at all" applies here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 04:14 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Actually there is only a RKE initiated starter interlock on 96 and newer Gen-2 cars the Passlock crap started with the 2000 gen-3 models. The starter interlock is trivial to bypass and be done with alarm or no alarm or re-purpose if you want to a manual initiated starter interlock, rather handy for the creative person.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-26-2014, 04:50 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The OP has a '95.....................

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:57 AM   #7
tunedbysaturnsl
tunedbysaturnsl is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1

I completely re-installed my car alarm/remote start system on my '95 SL1 Auto after Circuit City did a lovely (not) hack job of doing it. (Installed an alarm system on my other car as well.) After that fiasco, I'll never let another shop touch anything on my cars again except for a wheel alignment and state inspection. Just speaking from my experience is all, others results may vary.

It's rather time-consuming. I had the factory service manual by my side for help. I have a Viper 790XV system that I did in stages. I will say this though, planning is everything. My other car's Viper 5902 system made the 790XV seem much easier.

OldNuc is right though in regards to shops using crimp connectors. That's what Circuit City did with mine. And in the process of me running the interior wiring when I was rebuilding my Saturn, I removed all of their hack job work and did it right with soldering. Gave me a reason to pick up a nice brand new soldering gun to.

1995 Saturn SL1 "Abby"-Powertrain Swap Completed. Running As Of 07/27/2013
1997 Mitusbishi GST "Phoebe"

Looking For:
Saturn Blimp plush
Homecoming Saturn Logo "Lost Form Cast" piece

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tunedbysaturnsl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tunedbysaturnsl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tunedbysaturnsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:29 AM   #8
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
The OP has a '95.....................
I am aware of that, it is called the generic statement regarding the requirement to be cutting the RKE wiring to stop the interlock.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-27-2014, 03:34 PM   #9
lamping.ap
Advanced Member
lamping.ap will become famous soon enoughlamping.ap will become famous soon enough

1998 SC2

All of the above is great advise... I put a remote start in my 98 SC2 back in 2006, and one in the 01 SL1 in 2010. I planned ahead by drawing out all my connections, as many remote start systems have wires/features you don't use. I also have an FSM for reference to schematics. +1 on not using T-taps. They are not reliable.

Different systems use different ways to detect when the car has started. I've had best luck using the tach signal. Using the battery voltage detect method yielded many no-starts in the 98 on cold mornings.

I had a friend who had a circuit city/best buy type of place install one in his manual car. They put no interlock to ensure it wasn't in gear. Long story short, the car drove straight into a wall. Another friend had his car hop down the street and stall (good thing for the parking brake). My cars are auto, so I didn't have to deal with that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lamping.ap's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lamping.ap reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lamping.ap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:02 PM   #10
Jim97sl2
Jim97sl2 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

Check out http://www.the12volt.com if you want to install your alarm yourself. If not then check it out anyway as they have a forum and that is a good place to start for information on vehicle systems add ons and such. It will also give you some information so you can be knowledgeable when talking to an installer if you decide to go that route as well.

Jim

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jim97sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jim97sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jim97sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:24 PM   #11
tunedbysaturnsl
tunedbysaturnsl is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim97sl2 View Post
Check out http://www.the12volt.com if you want to install your alarm yourself. If not then check it out anyway as they have a forum and that is a good place to start for information on vehicle systems add ons and such. It will also give you some information so you can be knowledgeable when talking to an installer if you decide to go that route as well.

Jim
That's a good source of information there. Found a couple of answers to my questions when I tackled the one for the Eclipse.

1995 Saturn SL1 "Abby"-Powertrain Swap Completed. Running As Of 07/27/2013
1997 Mitusbishi GST "Phoebe"

Looking For:
Saturn Blimp plush
Homecoming Saturn Logo "Lost Form Cast" piece

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tunedbysaturnsl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tunedbysaturnsl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tunedbysaturnsl is offline   Reply With Quote