SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2014, 12:39 AM   #1
Hutchptx
Hutchptx is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
Default 99 SL2 Races after putitng in park/neutral

Hey Guys. Ive followed for a while, and been looking for similar issues.
Ive got a 99 SL2 DOHC with 210K on it. Ive had issues for a while and have most of them cleared up - IAC issues (replaced), dirty TB, etc. Whats going on now is (1) if I come to a stop and and still in gear (Automatic) the idle drops, and gets rough, sometimes stalls. If I come to a stop and put it in park or neutral, the RPM surges to about 2-2.5K RPM before setting back down to about 900. If i turn it off, let it sit for a bit and start it back up, i get the same high RPM burst before settling down to a 900RPM idle. I had the guy who did a state inspection check it for codes and he pulled a P0410B - Air Injector Reactor Management.
Homework again said this could be part of the secondary air pump, the valve for it, or a vacuum leak. I'll be looking at that this weekend, but wanted to see if any of you had run across this code or problem, and what you did to fix it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Hutchptx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Hutchptx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Hutchptx is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2014, 05:57 AM   #2
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to all

1995 SL1
Default Re: 99 SL2 Races after putitng in park/neutral

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIrmkxj6wJE

This video breaks down the common problems with the system. Carbon deposits in the tubes are common, as well as in the exhaust manifold.

Save that channel as well, he has a lot of good S Series videos and is a member here on the forums.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 09:32 AM   #3
BV22
Master Member
BV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of light

2002 SC1

Not sure what the "B" at the end of the code means, but P0410 does indeed relate to the secondary air injection system. It may or may not be related to your wild idle condition. High idle is usually because of a failing TPS or a vacuum leak. When the TPS is failing, a restart typically makes the idle return to normal until the gas pedal is pressed again. There is a small vacuum line from the top of the throttle body that runs to the little solenoid valve on top of the a/c compressor. This line provides vacuum to the diverter valve to allow air from the air pump into the exhaust stream on cold starts. If this line is compromised, it could lead to high idle and P0410.

BV22
2002 SC1 5M
298k 10/17

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BV22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BV22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BV22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 01:27 AM   #4
Hutchptx
Hutchptx is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

I'll have to check this weekend for the vacuum leak. Good to know and thanks for the tip. I took it for a long drive today and noticed something else. My temp gauge never cleared the 1/4 mark even after an hours driving. Had plenty of heat. Some im wondering if the ECTS may be partly at fault here too causing it to run rich, and hitting the high idle coming out of gear and bogging down when sitting still in gear. I think I'm going to shoot to replace that this weekend as well if the snow isnt too bad.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Hutchptx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Hutchptx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Hutchptx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:34 AM   #5
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to all

1995 SL1

Any time you have a high idle the ECTS and/or thermostat can be contributing factors. If your ECTS isn't working it can run rich as you suspected, and since a working ECTS deals with coolant temps, the faulty thermostat can force the car to run rich as well.

Being the twin cam cars generally hold temp better even when it's cold and the heater is in use, one or both are probably suspect. Neither will normally cause the idle RPM to be up in the 2-2.5K range mentioned with your first concern and the code though, so I'd follow through on that as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote