SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2013, 04:02 PM   #1
Zlukens822
Zlukens822 is on a distinguished road

1994 SW2
Wrench 1994 SW2 Strut Tower Bars

I really want to do some minor mods to my 94 SW2 but there's not much of a aftermarket scene for it. I know some parts can be swapped over from other models. I was just wondering if anyone knew of some strut tower bars that would be compatible with an SW2. I found one general one from eBay but I just wanted you guys' thoughts on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zlukens822's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zlukens822 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zlukens822 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2013, 04:33 PM   #2
Ramics
Advanced Member
Ramics is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2
Default Re: 1994 SW2 Strut Tower Bars

AMR makes the best ones. BUT - the problem is ..

Well, look in the Mods section and you will see.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ramics's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ramics reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ramics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 04:45 PM   #3
sallydriver
sallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to all

1999 SL2
1993 SW2

^^^^^^Yeah, he and a bunch of others have been through the wringer with AMR.

Seems to me if you mean a rear strut bar, it could be fairly easy to make one with little effort. Wouldn't be pretty, but seems to me you could use metal stock from Lowe's or similar.

2014 Cannondale 27spd 29": 30 miles
1999 Forest Green SL2 5spd "Sally" 5spd : 307,100+ miles
1993 White SW2 5spd "Steve" 5spd : 234,984 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sallydriver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sallydriver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sallydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 04:45 PM   #4
Zlukens822

1994 SW2
Dizzy Re: 1994 SW2 Strut Tower Bars

Just tell me. What's the problem with them?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Zlukens822 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-31-2013, 08:49 PM   #5
MadPuppy
Advanced Member
MadPuppy is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

Well, wayyy back in late 2012 I wanted an AMR front strut brace but found they sold out, I was told by AMR if I could get at least 14 other people to promise to buy one they would make them for us. it took a few months but we got the 14 and then some, we all paid up and waited, and waited, then waited some more, then after months the bars finally came....

They looked beautiful, but most of us found they fit like a@@, we had problems with the bars hitting the power steering tank during engine operation (with the engine rocking under accel/de-accel) we were told to the send AMR pics to prove the defect, then new corrected bars would be sent out. that was months ago, and we are still waiting to get the corrected bars, this whole thing has become a pain in the butt; I can only speak for me but If nothing is heard from them by the end of Jan 2014, I'm going to get litigious.

National Debt is a loan, with nothing of serious value given by the lender in exchange for your time and labor, it's a loan we can't pay off, and the financial system as it is would end if we did.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MadPuppy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MadPuppy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MadPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 12:53 AM   #6
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

Yes, lets buy a strut tower bar to help support strut towers that are already supported by the firewall.

Unless you do autocross you'll never notice the difference between an eBay bar (the $30-$35 shipped ones) and AMR's $150 shipped bar that you'll wait years to get and then find that it fits better mounted to a wall plaque then the car.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:16 AM   #7
choc citysaturn
choc citysaturn is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

Yeah just go and get an ebay strut tower bar and call it a day. Then be on the look out for the best stb ever made for the saturn. That would be the uber rare and highly coveted billet sps one, looks great,goes on easy,no problems. I will never part with mine, my only question is how many of the billet sps ones were made.

My number one goal is to make my saturn better now than when I bought it in Dec of 1993. IMPORT FIGHTER

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to choc citysaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help choc citysaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
choc citysaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:47 AM   #8
Jim97sl2
Jim97sl2 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

This is kind of a sore subject for some of us here. There is a monster thread on the subject of front strut tower bars from AMR...

Moving on. The SPS billet bars probably were some of the nicest ever made. The AMR Bars were also excellent at one time but the last run made were not correctly made and fitment issues affected many of us here that purchased them. That would have been acceptable except the timeline and sparse communication to get a resolution. The generic eBay bars are fine. Some needed to be modded slightly for clearance. I own both AMR and eBay front bars. There is almost no discernible difference between the two (as far as normal driving is concerned) other than esthetics and weight. There is more difference driving with or without a bar than what brand of bar you install under most conditions.

My generic eBay bar was on the car for 10 years. My AMR bar was on the car for less than 2 weeks. I have no bar on the car at the moment. SW2 or SW1 owners with added rear sway bars seem to reportedly benefit the most from a rear strut tower bar. Coupe and sedans less so for the rear. All can benefit from a front bar during spirited driving if the rest of your suspension components are upgraded or at least in good working order. Strut bars are of no help if the rest of your suspension is not in good working order.

Hope this helps, Jim.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jim97sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jim97sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jim97sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 10:39 PM   #9
Zlukens822

1994 SW2
Dazed Re: 1994 SW2 Strut Tower Bars

Could one of you guys give me a link of the eBay ones that will fit a 1994 SW2. Also, what company is the best for coil overs for an SW2? I want to slam my wagon but IDK where to start.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-02-2014, 10:33 AM   #10
Jim97sl2

1997 SL2

There were two basic designs for generic bars when I purchased mine. The only difference was whether the lateral bar went behind or in front of the mounts. The rear facing type would hit the map sensor bolt or p/s pump lid.

The ones on eBay now all seem to be forward facing bars. As long as they don't block the engine oil filler cap and don't make contact with the hood liner you are good. I only mention this because some people would turn the rear facing (like I have) bars around and that would limit access to the filler cap.

Link to eBay bar http://www.ebay.com/itm/91-00-Saturn...1f8f63&vxp=mtr

I have no affiliation with this seller: This is a random listing example that has good positive feedback, reasonable item cost and appears to have free shipping.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Jim97sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-10-2014, 10:36 AM   #11
Zlukens822

1994 SW2
Happy Re: 1994 SW2 Strut Tower Bars

What is everybody's stand on coil overs on a 94 SW2? Anyone know of any good brands?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-10-2014, 10:47 AM   #12
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

Coil-overs that are worth buying are worth more than the car is (cheapest I've seen are AMR's at $1200).

H&R Sport Springs if you want a lower and slightly stiffer ride (I think its still a bit soft...) or Ebaich's if you want the stock ride but lower.
KYB GR-2/Excel-G struts are recommended the most, use whatever brand front strut mounts you want (I've never had an issue with KYB), reuse the rear strut mounts (they don't seem to wear out, no need to spend $ on new ones).
Depending on sales, ~$500 once you pay & leave the alignment shop assuming you've done everything else.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 10:50 AM   #13
Zlukens822

1994 SW2

What about this company Ground Control my friend told me about. I guess they're like around $390 or so. Anyone know about them?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-10-2014, 12:48 PM   #14
Jim97sl2

1997 SL2

If you don't mind me asking, Why are you looking for coil overs?

Are you going for looks (a slammed stance), better handling performance, want to have the ability to adjust corner weight distribution using scales, better track handling? Or do you just want some nice looking suspension hardware to display at car shows?

There is a company called Ground Control Systems Inc. but they do not make Saturn Suspension parts.

Ground Control Product Line by Eibach:

Ground Control kits are not exactly real coil overs. They are kits made by Eibach that modify existing OEM style struts to simulate adjustable coilovers. If you don't need the ability to adjust each corner then just get new KYB struts and a set of Eibach springs if you want less fender gap, better handling and a nice ride.

Of wanting a bigger drop look for some Sprint Extreme springs. Do note that they (Sprint Extreme) lose contact with the spring perch when the car is lifted and weight is off the rear wheels. I can't remember if the front springs do also.

If you want better track handling H&R is probably the best of the lowering springs listed above for track use. They have the highest spring rates but wear struts the fastest.

If you are going just for looks say for shows and want to slam as low as possible then look into airbags. I haven't seen any for an S-Series for sale in at least 10 years. Probably no longer made and would need to be custom.

Difficult to make any recommendations other than the general ones listed above without knowing what your trying to achieve.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-10-2014, 12:51 PM   #15
Zlukens822

1994 SW2

Yeah I am really just looking to slam it. I just want it to be noticed at my car meets. Would those ground control ones be able to slam my SW? What would the best be to slam it for looks. I don't really care about ride comfort.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!