SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Sky > Sky Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2008, 10:44 PM   #1
daprezjer
daprezjer is on a distinguished road

2007 SKY
Default Getting a new key made

I lost my only key (bought a Sky dealer used and it's the only one they had), and I'm trying to get another one. In the past, you'd just go to the dealer, tell them your VIN, and get yourself a key.

But this dealer says that I have to bring the car into the dealership because there's an "electronic device" in the key itself - as in the top of the key (not the fob) - that needs to be electronically aligned with my car somehow.

Now, I don't think they're trying to rip me off...it doesn't get them more money by making me have the damn thing towed, but I'm wondering if maybe they just don't know what they're talking about. He seems to be a bit up in the air about it.

Does anyone know? Do I NEED to have the car towed to the dealer for some kind of "electronic alignment" with the key?

Thanks,
Jeremy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to daprezjer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help daprezjer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
daprezjer is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2008, 12:16 AM   #2
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Default Re: Getting a new key made

The key needs to be learned to the car. It can get expensive to loose all of your keys these days. At least for Saturns it is still just the cost of keys and labour time.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 06:30 AM   #3
daprezjer
daprezjer is on a distinguished road

2007 SKY

Well apparently it's cost of the keys, labor time, and towing!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to daprezjer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help daprezjer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
daprezjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:14 AM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Your dealer was correct in addressing your needs to replace keys; Sky's use the Passkey III+ anti-theft system consisting of the rfid/transponder key that are synched to the car. Your owner's manual describes it in detail but if you don't have possession of one it would pay to acquire one from Saturn or possibly on e-bay. The keys are most likely controlled items as they are the "chip in the key" that communicates to the car's electronics by short range radio similar to EZ-PASS, Mobil Speedpass, etc., and expensive. Here's some background info if it helps; http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86606. What you may not realize is the situation you're in would be no different than if a thief wanted to drive your car away; without the rfid key, the anti-theft system prevents the car from being started up and would require him to tow the car just like you!? No metal insert to substitute for a key or any new ideas to bypass the factory electronics system can defeat what's now installed on most expensive vehicles - Corvettes, Mercedes', Lexus', Hondas, Nissans, etc., including your Sky. Unless a thief is well educated in rfid/transponder technology and the electronics necessary to consider defeating these systems, most thieves learn to stay away from difficult-to-steal cars and the insurance companies are ecstatic about it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:45 AM   #5
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

the main problem is if you dont have a valid key you cant program a new one. ypu should always have two keys. it can actually be programmed with out one but the procedure takes about half an hour and im not sure exactly how its done but i have seen it. somthing like turn new key to on. after 10 minutes a light will flash. turn off key and back to on for another 10 min. when flashes repeat. after the third time turn key off then on to program.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 10:04 AM   #6
Spazie
Master Member
Spazie will become famous soon enough

1993 SC2
1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefunkar View Post
the main problem is if you dont have a valid key you cant program a new one. ypu should always have two keys. it can actually be programmed with out one but the procedure takes about half an hour and im not sure exactly how its done but i have seen it. somthing like turn new key to on. after 10 minutes a light will flash. turn off key and back to on for another 10 min. when flashes repeat. after the third time turn key off then on to program.
Essentially that's how it goes. I had to reprogram new keys to an Aura when we got a dealer trade missing one key. You have to program all the keys at the same time, so if you lose one and have to get another one, you have to get them both reprogrammed. It took me about 45 minutes to do the whole process.

You WILL have to have the car towed in if you've lost your only key. Definitely worth the extra cost to go ahead and get a second key now, that way you aren't stuck with this problem in the future.

13 Chevy Equinox, 46k, built in Spring Hill!
04 VUE 3.5, 196k
99 SL2 Homecoming, 211k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spazie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spazie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Spazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 10:10 AM   #7
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

actually if you have one key its very easy. takes about 10 seconds...start car with good key. turn it off. within 5 seconds turn new key to on and it is programed. nothing to it. the hard part is if you have no keys.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-24-2008, 10:56 AM   #8
Spazie
Master Member
Spazie will become famous soon enough

1993 SC2
1999 SL2

Quote:
actually if you have one key its very easy. takes about 10 seconds...start car with good key. turn it off. within 5 seconds turn new key to on and it is programed. nothing to it. the hard part is if you have no keys.
We had one key and still had to go through the whole process. Turn it to "on" wait for it the security light to blink, turn it off, repeat 3 times. That's the only way to program the keys, but when you tell the car to recognize new keys, it has to learn all of them again. Basically, if you only program one of them, the other one will not work anymore.

13 Chevy Equinox, 46k, built in Spring Hill!
04 VUE 3.5, 196k
99 SL2 Homecoming, 211k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spazie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spazie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Spazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:16 AM   #9
onefunkar
Master Member

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

its actually amazing how little some dealers know. if they read the owners manual they would know that one key at a time can be programed as i said. saturn dealers havnt had a lot of the tech stuff untill recently. gm has used those keys sine about 1998.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-24-2008, 12:38 PM   #10
dschrader
Advanced Member
dschrader is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
2007 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
This method does work if you have one original key. It's easy and takes about 20 seconds. We do it all the time with used cars and/or new cars that we lose keys to.

However if you have lost all your keys you are stuck and need to have the car towed in.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dschrader's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dschrader reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dschrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 01:12 PM   #11
Sky Pilot
Sky Pilot is a jewel in the roughSky Pilot is a jewel in the roughSky Pilot is a jewel in the rough

2008 SKY Red Line
2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazie View Post
We had one key and still had to go through the whole process. Turn it to "on" wait for it the security light to blink, turn it off, repeat 3 times. That's the only way to program the keys, but when you tell the car to recognize new keys, it has to learn all of them again. Basically, if you only program one of them, the other one will not work anymore.
Isn't there also something about rubbing your belly and patting your head while turning three times and reciting the Saturn credo?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sky Pilot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sky Pilot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sky Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:41 PM   #12
supposer
supposer is on a distinguished road

I know this thread is 6 years old, but I found it because I too lost my only transponder key for an 08 Saturn Outlook. IGNORE THOSE WHO SAY YOU HAVE TO TOW IT IN!!! The dealer told me that too, but a locksmith confirmed the 3 times 10 minute procedure works, and I just did it, and was successful.

Thankfully I had made a non-transponder key to go in my wallet in case I locked my keys in the car, and the locksmith could cut the transponder key off of that. But any GM dealer, if you have your vehicle registration and drivers license (names matching, of course) will sell you your key code that can be used to cut a key on a digital grinder. ($15-25 for the lookup, the key and digital cutting run around $50-60)

So to confirm the procedure, turn key to run, wait 10 min for security light to go out, you then must turn off and back on within 60 sec, wait another ten, etc. for a total of three times. Once one key is done, a second takes 30 seconds by turning the working on and off, and within 15 seconds, turn the new to On, and wait for light to go out, but that procedure is in your owners manual.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to supposer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help supposer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
supposer is offline   Reply With Quote