SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center > Introductions & Greetings
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2013, 03:56 AM   #1
95Saturn753
95Saturn753 is on a distinguished road

Default First Saturn owner

After being an owner of nothing but Trans am's owning a Saturn is pretty awesome. Easy to work on cheap on maintenance. Really enjoy driving it. I got it for 1500 dollars at a small dealer with 200000 miles. When I got it, it looked like crap but little by little i been fixing it with parts from the junk yard and its coming along well. Btw I noticed the bellow is torn and I see grease coming out of the Rack and Pinion. Do you guys think it might be bad? I shall post some pics soon!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 95Saturn753's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 95Saturn753 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
95Saturn753 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2013, 09:34 AM   #2
caveeagle
caveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of lightcaveeagle is a glorious beacon of light

2005 VUE 2.2L
2001 SC2
Default Re: First Saturn owner

Welcome aboard. I have a similar story, owning and driving various mustangs over the years. I have 4 kids, and the two older ones started driving within a month of each other. I was told (by the boss) that we needed to get another economical car so she didn't have to be the family taxi driver any more! I came VERY close to selling my '04 cobra to buy a hyundai or toyota, but ended up with a '99 SL1 that has been a great little car! We know own 3 S-series cars and a Vue.

Now, back you your issue.

If you sterring rack is working fine and not making noise, you should be able to save it. The steering rack on these cars seems to be a pretty solid part. We don't hear too much about them going bad, and many folks around here are >200k miles.

You will have to pop the tire rod end off to replace the rubber cover (bellows) that you mentioned. You will also have to unscrew the tie rod end, so I would carefully mark the threads with a paint pen, so you don't jack up your alignment.

Worst case.. you can pull a replacement cover from a newer parts car at u-pull etc. I might concider just replacing the outer (and maybe inner) tie rods while you have it apart. At your mileage it would not be a bad idea. (assuming they are original to the car).

Mark
'05 Vue, '02SL1, '01SC2a, '01SC2b, '99SL1 :::::> '04 SVT Cobra, '67 Mustang Vert.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to caveeagle's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help caveeagle reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
caveeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 01:00 PM   #3
95Saturn753
95Saturn753 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: First Saturn owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveeagle View Post
Welcome aboard. I have a similar story, owning and driving various mustangs over the years. I have 4 kids, and the two older ones started driving within a month of each other. I was told (by the boss) that we needed to get another economical car so she didn't have to be the family taxi driver any more! I came VERY close to selling my '04 cobra to buy a hyundai or toyota, but ended up with a '99 SL1 that has been a great little car! We know own 3 S-series cars and a Vue.

Now, back you your issue.

If you sterring rack is working fine and not making noise, you should be able to save it. The steering rack on these cars seems to be a pretty solid part. We don't hear too much about them going bad, and many folks around here are >200k miles.

You will have to pop the tire rod end off to replace the rubber cover (bellows) that you mentioned. You will also have to unscrew the tie rod end, so I would carefully mark the threads with a paint pen, so you don't jack up your alignment.

Worst case.. you can pull a replacement cover from a newer parts car at u-pull etc. I might concider just replacing the outer (and maybe inner) tie rods while you have it apart. At your mileage it would not be a bad idea. (assuming they are original to the car).

Awesome man. It does not make any noise. I will check it out hopefully I can save it. Just replaced my motor mounts today and difference is like day and night. I do notice my radiator leaking a bit. Think I might need to replace it but it leaks very little on the bottom corner. Anyway to fix that? or should I just buy a new one?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 95Saturn753's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 95Saturn753 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
95Saturn753 is offline   Reply With Quote