SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2013, 04:11 PM   #1
Moskvitch
Moskvitch has a spectacular aura aboutMoskvitch has a spectacular aura about

2000 SL2
Default Rear disc brake swap parts

Hi all,

I was looking forward to pulling some rear calipers to do the rear brake conversion on my 2000 SL2. I headed over to my local junkyard, didn't have any S-Series with rear discs. Called all the junkyards in my city; none of them will sell me calipers as they consider it a safety concern.

Is my only option to go new? Or does anyone have some they can sell me? I get parts at cost through my school so i could get it there.
I priced it all out:

Fenco semi-loaded calipers #SLC8326 & SLC8327 for 72$ each
Dorman parking brake cables #C95198 (x2) 30$ each
Wagner Thermo-quiet pads (set of 4) 45$
and then i need the brackets... no idea how im gonna get those.

Does that seem right? is that all i need?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Moskvitch's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Moskvitch reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Moskvitch is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2013, 07:19 PM   #2
tunedbysaturnsl
tunedbysaturnsl is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1
Default Re: Rear disc brake swap parts

Brackets, you should be able to order from Auto Zone or Advanced Auto or Rock Auto. Rear dust shields are suggested, but many say they're not required. I think the brackets run about $30.

As for your rear disc swap project, I'm planning on doing the same at some point next year. I know there's an SC2 in a junkyard close to me with disc brakes on it that I'll be snagging tomorrow pending weather. I get to try out my new impact gun I specifically got for this task of junkyard hunting. I'm gonna disassemble them, powder coat, and then rebuild with new inserts and pads come spring time. Hoping the dust shields are in fair condition as well. Not worried about the rotors since I'll be getting new ones for the rear when I do the front as well.

Kind of funny how your local junkyards won't sell you calipers because of a safety concern. Most junkyards know people will use them as trade-in cores or rebuilds instead of installing them straight onto a car. But, I suppose it makes sense.

1995 Saturn SL1 "Abby"-Powertrain Swap Completed. Running As Of 07/27/2013
1997 Mitusbishi GST "Phoebe"

Looking For:
Saturn Blimp plush
Homecoming Saturn Logo "Lost Form Cast" piece

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tunedbysaturnsl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tunedbysaturnsl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tunedbysaturnsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:02 PM   #3
Moskvitch
Moskvitch has a spectacular aura aboutMoskvitch has a spectacular aura about

2000 SL2

I think i may just head out to the other junkyard across town and pull the brackets and cables, if i explain to the guy that i just want cores he may let me have them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Moskvitch's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Moskvitch reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Moskvitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 09:13 PM   #4
Chub
Chub will become famous soon enough

1995 SC2

When I did my rear disc swap I got the cables, calipers, and brackets out of a '95 SC2 at the junkyard. They had no issue selling them to me. It was quite cheap for all of them but they were pretty rusty. I then found out that Advance Auto Parts had remaned calipers with brackets for sale at $30 + $30 core. I then traded in the old ones for cores on the rebuilt ones. The most important part is to make sure that you end up getting the appropriate e-brake cables. Also I am not running a dust shield on mine and it is working fine. The parts you have in your list should be all you need. Just make sure you put thread locker on the rear wheel knuckle to bracket bolts. I had one of them come off on me while I was driving and it was not a fun experience.

1995 SC2: Back on the road again after my second engine rebuild in two years.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chub's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chub reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:31 PM   #5
tunedbysaturnsl
tunedbysaturnsl is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1

Well, just got home from the junkyard to get rear disc brake swap parts. Didn't have any luck. Both of the cars that had disc brakes were on the ground (ie no wheels and nothing sitting under them). Couldn't manage to get calipers off and they were quite rusted regardless. Unfortunately, the dust backing shields looked in decent condition.

Anyway, decided I'd just go and bite the bullet and buy some "new" re-manufactured ones at Advanced Auto Parts. They had both right and left rears listed in stock. I figured new seals, new piston, new hardware, and they were already clean so, it was probably worth it. I managed to get only one though-the right rear by Fenco. The left side was only the caliper, no mounting bracket. I was like, okay, maybe a mix-up at the factory. Went to the other store about 5 miles or so away. Same damn scenario! No mounting bracket. So, the fella at the store was going to try Fenco, but didn't have any luck getting in touch with them. I left my name and number since he'd see what he could do for me. Got in touch with him and he said he can order one from Cardone and have it in about a week.

So, heads up and a rule of thumb! Check the box for the bracket and hardware before you leave the store even if the part numbers match! Seems that Fenco maybe be phasing out of brake calipers or at least, the mounting brackets. (Which I don't understand since it says that the caliper and bracket must be returned for core credit on the box of my right one).

The rear calipers seem to be so expensive for the critters they are.

At least my junkyard trip wasn't a total waste. Managed to get a replacement for my power lock key cylinder switch thing that goes behind the driver's door key lock. Even though, I lost my Torx socket.

1995 Saturn SL1 "Abby"-Powertrain Swap Completed. Running As Of 07/27/2013
1997 Mitusbishi GST "Phoebe"

Looking For:
Saturn Blimp plush
Homecoming Saturn Logo "Lost Form Cast" piece

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tunedbysaturnsl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tunedbysaturnsl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tunedbysaturnsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:46 PM   #6
SL19302
Master Member
SL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to all

2000 SW2
2002 SL1

I did the conversion on my 02 SL1 over the summer the conversion is all bolt on and go the biggest pain is the park brake cables you need to get cables off of a 96-98 with rear discs, The last year for the Rear Disc option was 98, parts needed are:

1. Calipers WITH Bolts, and Purchase NEW PADS, and NEW ROTORS.

2. Caliper Brackets WITH Bolts

3. Both Rear Emergency Brake Cables off of a rear disc equipped car.

4. Rear Disc Brake Hoses, BOTH sides, Alot say they are optional GET THEM, as suspension travel stresses the current drum hoses.

5. Dust Shields, Optional I didnt use them as they usually are rotted and no longer avaliable through GM.

2015 Subaru Forester Limited "Prinny"
2000 SW2 Still Running Strong- 160K Traded In
2002 SL1 Still has Its Training Wheels on at 88K Traded In

CHECK YOUR OIL!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL19302's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL19302 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL19302 is offline   Reply With Quote