SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2013, 02:33 PM   #1
carpathia09
carpathia09 is on a distinguished road

Default 93' SC2 starting problems

Last week my SC2 started having issues which have now gotten it to the point where the engine will will turn over but refuses to start. Last week I parked it and came back after an hour to a dead battery. I jumped it and it started fine for a couple of days before i walked out to the same thing in my driveway. It jumped fine again, but the next day did the same thing. I jumped for a third time and worked fine after which I charged the battery, thinking that may be the issue. After I charged it all I can get is the engine turning over without it ever catching to actually start and it won't jump. I went out and bought a brand new battery, hooked it up and had the exact same results.

Today I took out the starter to see if something with that might be the issue, but so far it seems to work just fine. The starter is a remanufacture that looks like it hasn't been on the car very long (I've owned the car for 3 1/2 years) and it pops out and spins just like it should. Besides that, the wires and battery terminals don't have corrosion or exposed wires that I've seen. I still have the starter out in case it does prove to be the issue somehow.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated before I have to tow the thing to a mechanic.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to carpathia09's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help carpathia09 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
carpathia09 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2013, 05:13 PM   #2
billr
Master Member
billr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nicebillr is just really nice

Default Re: 93' SC2 starting problems

When the battery is charged, does the engine seem like it is cranking at the normal speed? If so, stop wondering about the starter, battery, cables, etc; and stop cranking until the battery is dead again! That will just kill your new battery prematurely, maybe push the starter into an early death as well. Check for spark at one of the plugs. If you have spark, disable the fuel pump/injectors by pulling the appropriate fuse, let it sit a couple of hours to "air out the plugs", and try cranking after a quick blast of starting fluid into the intake below the air filter. If it won't fire briefly like that, then time to pull the spark plugs and take compression reading on all cylinders and inspect the plugs. Do some of those and post results...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 05:26 PM   #3
carpathia09

It definitely seems to crank at a normal speed. I will do those and post what I find.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help carpathia09 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-13-2013, 07:56 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Rather than wait for the car to "air out", floor the pedal while starting - this shuts off injectors if flooding results from several attempts without the engine ever firing up. A flooded engine may be verified by simply pulling all spark plugs and examine them for raw gas.

One question never asked; do you know if the original round nosed plastic two-wire coolant sensor was ever replaced with a flat nosed brass one? The original ones fail and run the engine rich all the time as well as flood engines.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 09:05 PM   #5
carpathia09

Do you mean the engine coolant temp sensor? I replaced that about a year and a half ago with the new one when it failed (which is how I came to this forum originally). Didn't change the connector at the time though. This is acting like a very different problem than that was causing then.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-14-2013, 09:33 AM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Well, not posting what was replaced brings up questions, especially with an ancient car as yours with a history behind it. It helps to post any parts replaced, maintenance done to date to minimize playing twenty questions.

Mileage? A compression test may be needed to answer how healthy the engine is in. Removed plugs to check for excess fuel? When the engine's fully warmed up, is the temperature gauge needle at the 1/4 mark or above? An old t-stat will keep the engine running cooler (1/4 mark) than it should. See what I mean about 'twenty questions?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-14-2013, 10:17 AM   #7
carpathia09

Well I replaced the thermostat 2 years ago, so when the engine is warmed up it tends to run right around half or just under. for mileage, it's about to pass 100,000. Low mileage for the year as it was previously family owned and sat in a garage for several years. In the last almost 4 years since I've had it I've replaced the ECTS, the thermostat I mentioned, changed plugs and wires this summer, just had to put a new radiator and hoses in a couple months ago, regular oil changes. haven't had a lot of major issues with it other than coolant problems and now this ignition/starting issue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-14-2013, 11:00 AM   #8
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Much better info now as this paints a better picture for anyone not seeing your car as you know it, especially the little bit of leaving the car unused for several years. Things have a habit of dry rotting; wiring, rubber parts, oil/grease hardening, etc.. I, personally, found out the hard way of a sitting car allowing a catalytic converter to rot from the inside, causing engine constipation after getting it running for sale.

In your case, a suspected catcon that may be disintegrating and causing grief can be checked by simply removing the front O2 sensor for a LOUD start up. A blocked exhaust system can be difficult to troubleshoot sometimes unless someone suggests a simple method for troubleshooting one. The alternate exhaust hole allows a constipated engine to breathe.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!