SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2013, 07:26 AM   #21
junker
junker has a spectacular aura aboutjunker has a spectacular aura aboutjunker has a spectacular aura about

1995 SW2
Default Re: Rebuilding 254k DOHC Engine - Planning questions

This isn't a DIY but it does give you an idea of the process. Of course the biggest hurdle is probably getting the car high enough safely. If I were to do it without access to a lift I would probably use a chainfall to hoist the front of the car up. Then again, if you are only interested in the engine through the top might be easier. I wanted to do a total refurb including the subframe and other components so it made sense.

Saturn s-series engine install through bottom of my 95 SW2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wE3KiYEaq8

Here is the removal through the bottom of the donor 96 SL2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSFYXExH-0A (skip to 1:15)

My Saturn Videos: http://www.youtube.com/dosumpthin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to junker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help junker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
junker is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2013, 09:38 PM   #22
hotrod205
hotrod205 is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

Update: I'm going through the top since I would need a hoist to get the body high enough anyway, and it seemed easier to not mess with the steering stuff and most everything else would be unhooked either way.

I would guess I'm about 2 hours from getting the engine out now, although it will be this weekend before I have time. I have everything on the front side off and ready, the a/c comp and p/s pump are loose, fuel rail is off, upper engine mount is off.

I just realized that I never broke the crank pulley bolt loose. So the question is this... would it be easier to set the battery back in and use the starter pop trick to break it loose, or just carry on and break it with my breaker bar when the engine is out?

The starter is still in and connected to the wires, would just have to hook up the battery. Maybe I just talked myself into it...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hotrod205's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hotrod205 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hotrod205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:21 PM   #23
Spaghettiohead
Advanced Member
Spaghettiohead is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2

Do you have access to an impact wrench? I bought a cheapo AutoZone electric for when I'm not in the shop on base, and even that broke the crank bolt free.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spaghettiohead's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spaghettiohead reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Spaghettiohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:06 AM   #24
hotrod205

2002 SL2

Well I had a cheapo one, but it wouldn't even break loose my lug nuts so I kept turning up the pressure and blew it out. I got it as part of a Harbor Freight type kit (as a gift) so I wasn't surprised. I have a compressor so I need to get one.

Since it will be pretty easy to connect the battery I'm going to give the starter a try just for the heck of it. If it doesn't work then I'll try other measures once it is out of the car.

Speaking of which, is the crank bolt standard thread or reverse on these? I've done timing belts on a Honda and a Mazda and they were different directions, can't remember which way is normal...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help hotrod205 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-24-2013, 01:59 PM   #25
Kaveman
Kaveman is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

The old addage...left loosy -righty tighty!! I am in the middle of replacing my timing chain and giudes and used the starter method to pop the bolt loose. It took a couple of cranks to pop loose. Didn't have the the correct leverage with a breaker bar while working underneath so I decided on the starter method...little frustrated and tired at the time.. Was happy it worked.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kaveman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kaveman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 02:17 PM   #26
hotrod205

2002 SL2

Yeah, the starter only turns in one direction... guess I didn't think that through. I certainly know the normal direction, was meaning which way it tightened on the Saturn. But using the starter there can be only one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-26-2013, 11:41 AM   #27
hotrod205

2002 SL2

I got the bolt loose. Tried the starter 3 times and all three times it shot my breaker bar out from under the car. Obviously I didn't have it braced well enough, so I decided to try the jack method since that actually worked when I did a timing belt on a Honda a few years ago. That got it with no fuss.

Exhaust manifold is off now also, entire front side of engine is clean and ready to come out. I have had the AIR flow code forever because the passages were clogged, but I procrastinated pulling the manifold to clean it out. It was so easy I wish I would have done it long ago. I haven't seen anyone post pictured of a clogged one, but I took some and am going to post them in a separate thread.

I still have a number of things to unhook on the back side and then the lower mounts. I already pulled the fuel rail and I'm about to pull the intake since it is the plastic one. I would hate to crack it if the engine moves too much lifting it out. I've already had it out once when the heater inlet cracked so I know the drill, and it is simple now that I have everything else off already. I highly recommend the metal heater inlet replacement part BTW, worked like a champ.

I should have the engine out this weekend, and will probably start a new thread with actual rebuild questions as I go forward.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!