SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2011, 06:39 AM   #1
ecbeck
ecbeck is on a distinguished road

Dizzy 2005 2.2L sputter @ idle, intermittent

2005 Saturn Vue 4 cylinder 2.2L

One day while sitting at idle my check engine light came on. Ran the code and it was a P0701= Misfire in cylinder 1. (ok i thought, New plugs) went to Advanced and bought 4 new denso TT platinum plugs and some throttle body cleaner. Got home changed the plugs and then sprayed the cleaner, put car back together, Ran like Crap! would not start, once it did start ran really bad, spit and sputtered all over the place.
Then New code, P0703= misfire cylinder 3. Cleared code, took everything apart, looked it all over to see if i did something wrong.. All good. Started car again, ran good... till i came to idle, 600...600..498...600...598..678...450...600RPM's

as you can see it was having a sputter. only at idle It did this for about a week. then I did some looking and saw that it could be the Coil pack, or ignition control.. Changed out both with good ones from a junkyard. Still had problem. Got really good gas and it got better but still happened, bought injector cleaner, still happened. Took apart everything and just cleaned all sensors including Throttle position sensor, idle air sensor, Checked MAP Sensor, put all back together. Ran like crap really bad, Posted 3 new codes, Transmission codes. P0700, P2637.. or something like that. Turned car off.

Did the relearn, by letting car sit and idle through 2 cooling fan cycles and 2 cooling fan cycles with car in drive and parking brake on.

Still doing it, So I ask to you, The Saturn World... Whats wrong???

Dumb Test: could it be bad spark plugs??

PS. I have read everything in other threads and i don't think it is timing, Cylinder head, values, Fuel pressure, It maybe Fuel filter.. But why would that happen after a spark plug change.?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ecbeck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ecbeck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ecbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2011, 08:05 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2005 2.2L sputter @ idle, intermittent

Are you sure the error code is P0701?

DTC P0701 Transmission Control System Range/Performance

Cylinder misfire; DTC P0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected

What were the original plugs? Experimenting with spark plugs can cause problems.

What's the mileage?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:27 AM   #3
ecbeck

104,000 miles. The plugs that were in it are ACDelco. and Ya the codes that it posted was transmission codes.. I think because I unpluged and checked connections on a few of the sensors it caused those to come up, I cleared them and they never came back. I ran the car for a day or so and no codes have came up.

PS. I took off the new Coil pack and Ignition module and put old plugs in.. Brought it back to the way i started off and drove for about 30min, and let Idle with A/C on and off and it did not do it once.. that really makes me think plugs. because it did it with new old coil pack and new plugs..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ecbeck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-14-2011, 09:01 AM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Unless platinums are specified, be cautious of switching plug types. The S-series have a recurring issue every time a new member joins in and learns that the waste spark ignition system doesn't work with platinum plugs. Old school copper plugs with a single broad center and side electrode works perfectly. Although not designated for 100k miles, the copper plugs works. If yours specify a brand of platinum plugs then try and stay with OEM recommendations or the exact equivalent. There's a limit on how many side electrodes are effective if the center is a hair thin wire; as emissions control maintains lean mixtures the spark has to be strong enough to ignite lean mixtures and three or side electrodes simply interferes with fuel/air mixtures getting ignited.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-14-2011, 09:17 AM   #5
03vuevti2af23
03vuevti2af23 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

Not to be a downer, but have you performed a compression test yet?.

The reason I ask is I have fixed a couple of Ions, Vues', Cobalts', etc that had worn timing components and jumped timing. Mostly from worn guides (plastic) that allowed one or both cams to jump a tooth and cause misfiring, poor running, multiple DTC's.

Also, I have done a few head gasket jobs on these motors. From my experience they loose compression seal around the cylinders. Take a wiff of your coolant bottle for an exhaust smell.

Check for even compression among all cylinders.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 03vuevti2af23's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 03vuevti2af23 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
03vuevti2af23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:15 AM   #6
ecbeck

I will do a Compression check as soon as I can, I had thought of doing that anyways.

as far as timing goes, It was my understanding that if timing was a problem then it would be acting up all the time.. not intermittently 5 and 10 min apart and only at idle.

I just put everything back to were i started at and it is not messing up, I am going to return the plugs and check to see what ones it calls for, This one may have to be chalked up to wrong plugs... I will post in about 30 min after I try this out.

thanks for all the help so far.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-14-2011, 12:26 PM   #7
ecbeck

Really... Thanks for all the help But i have solved the trouble...

The New Denso spark plugs I bought were defective. Took them back to advanced auto and we saw cracks in the white porcine on two of the 4 plugs... How that happened i will never know. I know that i didn't over torque them when they went in, so the only thing i can think is they were damaged when i bought them. Only when some Dielectric grease got on the sides could you see the cracks...

Lesson to learn from all this.. Just because the part is new doesn't always mean it is 100% going to work and have no issues.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-15-2011, 10:21 AM   #8
03vuevti2af23
03vuevti2af23 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecbeck View Post
Really... Thanks for all the help But i have solved the trouble...

The New Denso spark plugs I bought were defective. Took them back to advanced auto and we saw cracks in the white porcine on two of the 4 plugs... How that happened i will never know. I know that i didn't over torque them when they went in, so the only thing i can think is they were damaged when i bought them. Only when some Dielectric grease got on the sides could you see the cracks...

Lesson to learn from all this.. Just because the part is new doesn't always mean it is 100% going to work and have no issues.

Glad you found the issue.

I was just pointing out what I have seen previously in my experiences. I misunderstood your initial post.

The plugs were probably damaged in shipping and/or stocking by being dropped. It can happen alot easier then one might think.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 03vuevti2af23's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 03vuevti2af23 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
03vuevti2af23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:51 AM   #9
cvt critic
cvt critic is on a distinguished road

Default po701

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Are you sure the error code is P0701?

DTC P0701 Transmission Control System Range/Performance

Cylinder misfire; DTC P0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected

What were the original plugs? Experimenting with spark plugs can cause problems.

What's the mileage?
i have code po701 and u2106 ,the 2106 is no communication to tcm, but i po701 is trabsmission range performance and idont know what that is exactly maybe the pnp switch ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cvt critic's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cvt critic reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cvt critic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:07 AM   #10
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I strongly suggest you start a new post instead of adding to past posts. In addition, to make things clear, go into your personal profile and add the year, model, auto or manual so no one needs to ask you what you're driving. Your car info will be under your name. All you have to do is post mileage, maintenance done, parts replaced and the symptoms along with error codes to complete a post with information without anyone asking the same questions repeatedly (year, model, etc.).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!