SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2013, 10:16 AM   #1
youcanreachluke
youcanreachluke is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR
Default Rear Blower & Airbag Light Issues

Hello Saturnfans,

PURPOSE: This thread will be dedicated to my attempt to repair the rear blower motor issue (not turning on) and resolving the airbag light.

Background:
I am a new user and an avid DIY repair guy. We purchased a used 2007 Outlook XR AWD with 119k miles back in October '12. We love used vehicles and are willing to apply a little elbow grease to save thousands. In fact, the worst of it was avoided when just 18 hours after we bought it, the transmission went out (my wife stranded at a major interstate junction) and the dealer replaced it at their cost with the appropriate remanufactured GM transmission, including 3-year/100,000 mile warranty. Now it's practically brand new, well almost. After the new transmission was installed, the tip-tronic (Electronic Range Seletor) feature stopped functioning but we realized the computers needed new firmware and a reboot. That feature is now working again.

Rear Blower Motor: After spending many hours rummaging through the web, I have yet to find this issue repeated. Nearly all blower problems occur with the front blower, many times resulting from corrosion caused by water leaking from the sunroof (disconnected water channel, I believe). We have none of these problems and no evidence of water leak. Our Outlook is a dual sun roof.

Airbag Light: Also spending much time researching this, I find many 'solutions' cheap and expensive, but I need help. My hope is a clip is disconnected under the front passenger seat or failed resistor, but I have no clue and the dealer is ready to work on it but at an unknown cost.

The dealer seems to have no concrete idea on what the cause of either of these issues are except that they're ready to replace the rear blower motor (although they say it's rare).

Thanks again for your help and I look forward to adding to this thread with reliable repair info.

Cheers!
Luke

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to youcanreachluke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help youcanreachluke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
youcanreachluke is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2013, 11:22 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Rear Blower & Airbag Light Issues

DIY repairs to simple issues (sometimes) can be rewarding when enthusiasm and elbow grease are used.

For the rear blower, the list of things to check whether a dealer or owner does it; blower fuse, relay, wiring to blower, blower ground connection. Starting with locating all fuses and then pulling the blower fuse(s) to ensure none are blown begins the steps to track power to the blower. With the blower fuse issue out of the way, a relay may be used to apply 12v power to the blower while the control signal to turn on the relay comes indirectly from the HVAC panel controls. The control signals may go through the body control module that turns on/enable the blower relay to apply power to the blower motor. And a resistor card may be used to select fan speed. Usually near the the blower fan. Check for blower motor relays and swap if possible. Cycling the rear blower fan switch ON and OFF, listening for a relay may help. From there, its presumed 12v power is sent to the blower motor wiring to the blower motor. Check the blower motor connector for 12v when the blower is turned on. Since motor power can be checked for 12v, the connector is the best place right next to the motor. Motor ground is crucial for the blower motor to have a complete circuit so checking for a ground connection is needed. By the time you have the covers removed to access the rear blower motor you can consider wiring 12v power directly to the motor to ensure it isn't worn out.

Maybe its jammed from debris or something?

Last edited by fdryer; 03-06-2013 at 11:27 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 10:32 AM   #3
youcanreachluke
youcanreachluke is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

Thank you for the info, fdryer.

*UPDATE 6/17/2013*

I could not diagnose the rear blower motor problem (all fuses checked ok and visually inspected the rear blower the best I could). I had the vehicle serviced at our local GMC dealer and they found a corroded connector to the blower motor ($195 repair). I asked them if they could tell me what caused the corrosion, but they had no answer.

In the meantime, we've always had an "issue" with the steering squeeking and offering minimal resistance. Now, just two weeks ago, the power steering failed (glad it happened to me) making it impossibly difficult to manuever at low speeds. You'd have to carefully calculate each turn and possibly pop the transmission into neutral and rev the engine to assist turning.

I had it serviced at the same time the blower motor connector was replaced. They diagnosed the power steering pump had failed ($845 repair). However, after the repair, the steering is still intermittently stiff and steering continues to squeek. I took it back yesterday and they diagnosed the steering gear was damaged (suggested $1,400 repair). Trying to stay calm and composed, I asked if they thought the steering gear had caused the power steering pump to fail and they said they didn't know, using the 'chicken or the egg' analogy.

Since yesterday, I contacted Customer Assistance at GM and filed a case with them for help. Within one year's time, I've had the transmission replaced, power steering pump replaced, and they're now recommending the steering gear be replaced (and this is a safety concern of mine!). The service repair rep at the dealership even mentioned that this was a common issue, as if that makes me feel better. I do not let my wife drive her Outlook for fear the power steering will fail and be in an accident. GM Customer Assistance contacted the dealership to review the repair order and will contact me in the next day or two to see if they can be of assistance; I truly hope they can.

With much sadness and frustration,
Luke

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to youcanreachluke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help youcanreachluke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
youcanreachluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:14 PM   #4
Doug C
Doug C will become famous soon enoughDoug C will become famous soon enough

2008 Outlook XE

"...The service repair rep at the dealership even mentioned that this was a common issue .."

IF it is, ya would think being a safety issue more so than faulty water pump there should be a extended warranty coverage on it (steering gear assembly) as there is on water pump failure as referenced in letter sent out to original owners via gm ..imho !

good luck

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Doug C's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Doug C reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Doug C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:59 AM   #5
Harald
Harald is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by youcanreachluke View Post
In the meantime, we've always had an "issue" with the steering squeeking and offering minimal resistance. Now, just two weeks ago, the power steering failed (glad it happened to me) making it impossibly difficult to manuever at low speeds. You'd have to carefully calculate each turn and possibly pop the transmission into neutral and rev the engine to assist turning.
This exact failure happened to me in 2010. The service guy replaced the power steering pump, took it for a drive, noticed there were still problems, and then replaced both the gear and the rack. This happened just outside of my warranty coverage, but as it was a well-known issue with the Lambda series, GM covered it under warranty. P&L came out to almost $3000 (CDN).

It's possible that you can convince them to repair it as a known issue - I wish you luck!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Harald's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Harald reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Harald is offline   Reply With Quote