SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2013, 11:50 PM   #1
wiggley
wiggley is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1
Default 02' SL1 Stalling Problem. Fuel ? A Sensor ?

For awhile, my SL1 would stall if my tank went below 1/2 tank. Now it has gotten worse. It now stalls out when my tank goes below 3/4. I had it in the shop and they thought it was something in the bottom of the fuel tank. I wasn't sure that was it...and didn't want to pay $800 to have my fuel tank replaced. So, I just had them replace my fuel filter. More on the problem, when it stalls, after a waiting about a minute I can start it again and it will drive about 100 feet, slowly and not with much power, but it will go. I can do this several times and get to a gas station. After I fill the tank back up, no problems. I searched about stalling issues here on the forum and people say that it could be the crankshaft position sensor. I haven't had the chance to replace mine yet, to see if that fixes it. Anybody heard of behavior like this before ?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wiggley's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wiggley reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wiggley is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2013, 01:36 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 02' SL1 Stalling Problem. Fuel ? A Sensor ?

Before throwing parts at the car without some troubleshooting, it can be expensive. You already turned down an $800 tank repair that wasn't needed. A crank sensor may be failing but some simple tests can rule it out; checking for spark the moment the car dies - if you check for spark when someone cranks the engine, the crank sensor is fine. Something else is causing the erratic engine die off.

Mileage, maintenance, parts replaced?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 11:53 PM   #3
wiggley

2002 SL1

Mileage is at 91,600. Just did a tune-up, fixed my high revving by cleaning the throttle body. Replaced the ECTS. That is all I have done to it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help wiggley reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-27-2013, 05:56 AM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

1-Try measuring fuel pressure. A loaner gauge may be borrowed from Autozone or PepBoys.

2-With relatively low mileage, a possibility of a partially blocked catalytic converter may exist. Catcons are rigid porous ceramic like material. Banging the bottom of the catcon for loose catguts would imply a disintegrating catcon with material blocking exhaust flow. Removing the front O2 sensor on the exhaust manifold allows an alternate exhaust path. A brief LOUD drive can reveal whether or not the catcon is clogged.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:21 AM   #5
Skelaton44
Skelaton44 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1

I had a similar problem with my car and the stalling. I changed the crankshaft sensor and the issue was fixed...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Skelaton44's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Skelaton44 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Skelaton44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:50 PM   #6
wiggley

2002 SL1

I changed out the crankshaft position sensor. Took it on a test drive. Same thing, stalled out at 3/4 tank . Moving on to test the fuel pressure and the catalytic convertor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!