SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > 2008 Vue
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2013, 05:50 PM   #1
acdc
acdc is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Electrical problems

My 08 Vue has an odd issue that I have never read or heard about.
My wife went to start it about a year ago and it was like the battery was dead. She called AAA and they arrived and first thing they did was jump it off. It started and she went on her way. Then a week or so later she noticed lights flashing on the dash and the radio wouldn't work. When she got home and turned it off it was dead. I went to check the battery and when I moved the top cover on the battery to jump it everything came on. Easy enough there is a short somewhere is what I thought. I couldn't find anything obvious so I took it to a shop that does electrical stuff. They kept it for a day and a half and found nothing. So we drove it thinking maybe it would get worse and it did. So off to another shop suggested by a buddy. Same results. So it is acting up again and when you move the cover it fixes itself. I'm tired of this does anybody have any ideas or suggestions. The battery top has several wires going into it. Is this a computer or what in the cover? Please help. I m tired of paying for nothing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to acdc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help acdc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
acdc is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2013, 09:19 PM   #2
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Electrical problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc View Post
My 08 Vue has an odd issue that I have never read or heard about.
My wife went to start it about a year ago and it was like the battery was dead. She called AAA and they arrived and first thing they did was jump it off. It started and she went on her way. Then a week or so later she noticed lights flashing on the dash and the radio wouldn't work. When she got home and turned it off it was dead. I went to check the battery and when I moved the top cover on the battery to jump it everything came on. Easy enough there is a short somewhere is what I thought. I couldn't find anything obvious so I took it to a shop that does electrical stuff. They kept it for a day and a half and found nothing. So we drove it thinking maybe it would get worse and it did. So off to another shop suggested by a buddy. Same results. So it is acting up again and when you move the cover it fixes itself. I'm tired of this does anybody have any ideas or suggestions. The battery top has several wires going into it. Is this a computer or what in the cover? Please help. I m tired of paying for nothing.
What engine type do you have?

FSM indicates the ECM is attached to one battery cover but not another.

I rarely visit forum but respond to private messages (PM). PM creates email to phone & please include email address with question. Avoid using Visitor Message feature ... I almost never check those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:57 PM   #3
acdc

Quote:
my 08 vue has an odd issue that i have never read or heard about.
My wife went to start it about a year ago and it was like the battery was dead. She called aaa and they arrived and first thing they did was jump it off. It started and she went on her way. Then a week or so later she noticed lights flashing on the dash and the radio wouldn't work. When she got home and turned it off it was dead. I went to check the battery and when i moved the top cover on the battery to jump it everything came on. Easy enough there is a short somewhere is what i thought. I couldn't find anything obvious so i took it to a shop that does electrical stuff. They kept it for a day and a half and found nothing. So we drove it thinking maybe it would get worse and it did. So off to another shop suggested by a buddy. Same results. So it is acting up again and when you move the cover it fixes itself. I'm tired of this does anybody have any ideas or suggestions. The battery top has several wires going into it. Is this a computer or what in the cover? Please help. I m tired of paying for nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
what engine type do you have?

Fsm indicates the ecm is attached to one battery cover but not another.
3.6 l. Awd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to acdc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help acdc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-24-2013, 06:58 AM   #4
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
3.6 l. Awd
Whoa - box attached to battery cover is the ECM (you probably knew).

Nothing goes on with engine (fuel, electrics, all sensors) that ECM does not finesse in some manner.

You've had two teams of experts search for problem source ... it appears there are at least three wiring connectors with significant population of wires feeding the ECM.

You have to wonder what sort of testing they actually performed but if it were my Vue I'd try the following:

1. Check for any stored codes ... you might need a quality scan tool.

2. Disconnect each connector (if possible - all connectors may be ganged together) and carefully study wiring harness female contacts for general condition (bent, loose, corroded).

3. Inspect the ECM male contacts for same conditions (bent, loose, corroded).

4. If harness and ECM connectors appear OK - I'd position an assistant in vehicle - either while Vue is in no-start-state or with engine running - while I methodically manipulated each and every wire - one at a time - of each ECM connector.

This probably means removing outer protective covering from the wiring harnesses but you must be in a position to wiggle each wire.

I rarely visit forum but respond to private messages (PM). PM creates email to phone & please include email address with question. Avoid using Visitor Message feature ... I almost never check those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:20 AM   #5
acdc

Thanks ill let you know how it goes!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to acdc's Reputation