SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2013, 02:56 PM   #1
Shadow_tek001
Advanced Member
Shadow_tek001 is a glorious beacon of lightShadow_tek001 is a glorious beacon of lightShadow_tek001 is a glorious beacon of lightShadow_tek001 is a glorious beacon of lightShadow_tek001 is a glorious beacon of light

Default p0455 and p0499 Outlook XR

Gas cap?

Can I use a universal one?

Thanks!

Edward

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Shadow_tek001's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Shadow_tek001 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Shadow_tek001 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2013, 05:40 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: p0455 and p0499 Outlook XR

P0455 Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected (large leak)

P0499 Evaporative Emission System Vent Valve Control Circuit High

Examine your gas cap for a damaged gasket. If not damaged then its probably not a gas cap issue as both error codes seems to point to the evap solenoid and/or tubing. Did any off roading that may have broken things? Hoses dry rotted, wiring broken, disconnected? There's a fuel vent valve and hose from the tank to the side next to the fuel filler neck; this vent valve opens at engine shut down for fuel tank venting during fill ups, closes at ignition on to seal the tank from venting. The wiring and solenoid may be a problem as well as the steel tube, rusting out and causing error codes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 07:38 PM   #3
Shadow_tek001
Advanced Member
Shadow_tek001 is a glorious beacon of lightShadow_tek001 is a glorious beacon of lightShadow_tek001 is a glorious beacon of lightShadow_tek001 is a glorious beacon of lightShadow_tek001 is a glorious beacon of light

thanx for the info man!

can i use a universal gas cap to test it?

Edward

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Shadow_tek001 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-03-2013, 09:30 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

You can try but I don't think its a gas cap problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-03-2013, 11:04 PM   #5
Shadow_tek001
Advanced Member

your probably right but it's a cheap attempt.....

Edward

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-13-2013, 10:22 PM   #6
Shadow_tek001
Advanced Member

So, after removing and testing the vent valve solenoid, it appears to be the culprit.

The solenoid is open (allows air to pass through) regardless of whether or not any power is on it. (I applied 12v to it and it did not even click)

Question: is the solenoid normally open (allowing air through) or normally closed?

Edward

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-14-2013, 12:50 AM   #7
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Vent valve would normally be unpowered, engine off, for fueling. The valve powers up and closes venting to seal the fuel tank at ignition ON or RUN mode.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-14-2013, 01:38 AM   #8
Shadow_tek001
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Vent valve would normally be unpowered, engine off, for fueling. The valve powers up and closes venting to seal the fuel tank at ignition ON or RUN mode.
I was able to blow air through it whilst supplying power to it.....which makes it defective yes?

Edward

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-14-2013, 02:18 AM   #9
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Yes, defective since it doesn't power up and close the valve.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-22-2013, 12:03 PM   #10
Shadow_tek001
Advanced Member

Well i replaced the vent valve solonoid and that seems to have fixed the issue. One thing to note though is anyone else needing to do this repair should try to get just the vent assembly without the hose (like the one from a GMC canyon) as it's exactly the same but about $130 cheaper. The only thing i, you need to make your old hose fit onto it. The nipple on the valve assembly is slightly different, and you will have to cut the old one off and then cut into it with a jig saw blade in order to get it out of the hose. then slide the hose over the new one with some silicone between it and clamp it with a hose clamp.
That procedure will save you over $100

Edward

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-22-2013, 01:46 PM   #11
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Any chance of throwing up some pictures of the dead one?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-22-2013, 01:59 PM   #12
Shadow_tek001
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Any chance of throwing up some pictures of the dead one?
I usually take pics of repairs especially when there is a mod of some sort. But this time it didn't even occur to me as it's not my vehicle that I was repairing. :-(

But, I did find some pics online

The first pic shows the Saturn Outlook's solenoid and the second shows the GMC Canyon's.

The only difference on the solenoid itself is the ribbed nipple on the outlook's solenoid. And of course that it comes with the hard plastic pipe. You can try to heat up the pipe to pull it off, but it didn't work for me. If you cut the nipple off at the base, and then using a jigsaw blade (by hand) cut slits into it, you should be able to work it out. Then coat the new nipple in some high grade silicone and slide the old pipe onto it. Clamp it tight with a hose clamp and bob's your uncle,

Edward
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Saturn Outlook Evap Vent Solonoid.jpg (76.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 2005-2010 GMC Canyon Evap Vent Solonoid.jpg (12.1 KB, 11 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-22-2013, 02:01 PM   #13
Shadow_tek001
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_tek001 View Post
I usually take pics of repairs especially when there is a mod of some sort. But this time it didn't even occur to me as it's not my vehicle that I was repairing. :-(

But, I did find some pics online

The first pic shows the Saturn Outlook's solenoid and the second shows the GMC Canyon's.

The only difference on the solenoid itself is the ribbed nipple on the outlook's solenoid. And of course that it comes with the hard plastic pipe. You can try to heat up the pipe to pull it off, but it didn't work for me. If you cut the nipple off at the base, and then using a jigsaw blade (by hand) cut slits into it, you should be able to work it out. Then coat the new nipple in some high grade silicone and slide the old pipe onto it. Clamp it tight with a hose clamp and bob's your uncle,

Edward

I justg noticed an extra mounting tab on the outlook one..... that was not there on mine, - it looks removable either way. just ignore it as it's probably used on a different vehicle.

Edward

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-22-2013, 02:04 PM   #14
Shadow_tek001
Advanced Member

Also, here is an incredibly in-depth training video on how to test these things properly.....It helped me understand it completely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWf60guK8gk

Edward

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-22-2013, 03:11 PM   #15
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

After reading so many Saturn service manuals, these hard lines are nylon to work with high fuel pressures without needing clamps. Also used everywhere else on the evap system. Its been said in these manuals to heat them to make them soft enough so the lines can be pulled off and to use some motor oil to push them on. The barbed or ribbed portions allows the nylon line to form around an provide a better seal. Since this is just a vacuum line, the ribbed part doesn't need to be sharp as it would be for fuel lines coming out the tank. I would guess a hair dryer with the suction side partially blocked off will provide enough heat to soften nylon where it becomes flexible.

Since my blow-drying hair days are long over, I've found a second way to use my hair dryer. Removed the glass screen from another iTouch 4 when one of my nieces dropped hers.......................

REWARD EXCELLENCE!