SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2013, 01:03 PM   #1
LoudSL1
LoudSL1 is on a distinguished road

Arrow Little help with P0410 code...

Hey guys, hoping some of you could shed some light on this problem I'm having. I need to get this car through emissions in about a week or so and I need to get this code fixed.

I've read many many threads on this issue and watched richpins videos concerning this problem but it's still giving me weird issues. Heres how it's gone so far;

-Air pump isn't turning on, it is getting current.
-Tested air pump on battery, it works.
-Cut out connector for air pump and hard wired it, still doesn't turn on but still gets current.
-Current is seen at connector for little pink switch.
-Vacuum is present in both tubes on that switch.
-Lines going to throttle body are clear.
-Pipe going to exhaust is clear.

I know I'm forgetting a few things but I'm really wondering whats going on with that air pump. Why isn't it turning on even with power going to it? I'm going to go and check what kind of voltage is being sent, It works going straight to a battery, maybe it's mot seeing enough power at the connector?

Hoping some of you guys can chime in, thanks in advance!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LoudSL1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LoudSL1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LoudSL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2013, 01:51 PM   #2
BV22
Master Member
BV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of light

2002 SC1
Default Re: Little help with P0410 code...

If the pump runs when hot wired, it should run when power is supplied via PCM command on cold start. That fact that the pump does not run in this condition suggests that the ground connection for the pump has excess resistance and needs to be cleaned.

Do check that one of the two terminals in the air pump connector shows 12.5V relative to ground for 30-60 seconds on cold start. If you are indeed getting voltage on the hot wire, measure the resistance of the ground wire to the car frame. If anything other than 0 ohms, there is the problem

BV22
2002 SC1 5M
298k 10/17

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BV22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BV22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BV22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:01 PM   #3
LoudSL1

Hmm, I was thinking that maybe the grounds were bad. I'm gonna go ground it straight to the frame and report back.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help LoudSL1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-11-2013, 05:11 PM   #4
LoudSL1

Well I cut the fan ground out of the little distro block and relocated it with a new ring terminal and now the fan is turning right on. Hopefully the CEL will go out after a little driving.

Thanks BV! I'm hoping this is my only issue with the emissions system and I won't have ot report back with bad news.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-11-2013, 07:36 PM   #5
BV22
Master Member
BV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of light

2002 SC1

Cheap fixes can be great. If all is now well with the secondary air system, light should go off in a day or two. If not, several of us have fought this system long enough to know it forward and backward and will be glad to help.

BV22
2002 SC1 5M
298k 10/17

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BV22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BV22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-12-2013, 05:55 PM   #6
LoudSL1

Hey guys I have a quick question concerning the fan. Is it normal that it may come on after the first start up? I wired it up yesterday, everything was working great it would turn on at every startup and stay off. Later that night on my way to work I noticed it turned on for a few seconds just as I was backing into my parking spot. Also, an hour or so ago I noticed it turned on for about 20 seconds, shut of for a few seconds and then popped back on. I guess that is a little more understandable but I was just wondering why it would come on after a 10 minute drive on the highway last night.

Other than that the car seems to run a little smoother. My guess is it's just happy I got off my ass and put some work into it lol

Edit: CEL is still on, I suppose I need to drive some more.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-13-2013, 07:21 AM   #7
BV22
Master Member

2002 SC1

By fan, I assume you are referring to the air pump. Mine runs for short blasts periodically when the car is running and fully warmed up. Perhaps this is part of the OBD-II self-diagnostic routine. It should always run when the car is started cold. In the summer, it may run for just 30 seconds or so. In the winter, it will run a little longer.

If the SES light doesn't go out today, you might consider resetting the PCM by briefly removing the PCM B fuse from the underhood fuse box. This will clear the codes, but will also put your readiness monitors back to "not ready". In that state, it might take close to a week to be ready for inspection, depending on your normal drive cycle.

If you clear the PCM, and the SES light returns with the P0410 code, then you have some more troubleshooting to do.

BV22
2002 SC1 5M
298k 10/17

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BV22's Reputation