SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2013, 04:55 AM   #1
Saturn-Desu!
Saturn-Desu! is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
1995 SL1
Default Anyone running a straight exhaust?

Was just wondering if anyone has run a straight exhaust and if it causes any issues ( running lean? Ect..)

I'm gonna be running a straight exhaust from the header to the aftermarket muffler on my '96 SL2 and I'm gonna have to ditch the sensor by the cat~

what effect will this have on it?

Posted from my iPod so sorry if it's sketchy at all~

Better hang on when I hit that performance Mode!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn-Desu!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn-Desu! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn-Desu! is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2013, 06:32 AM   #2
kyle_eagleton
kyle_eagleton is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
Default Re: Anyone running a straight exhaust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn-Desu! View Post
Was just wondering if anyone has run a straight exhaust and if it causes any issues ( running lean? Ect..)

I'm gonna be running a straight exhaust from the header to the aftermarket muffler on my '96 SL2 and I'm gonna have to ditch the sensor by the cat~

You're speaking of a straight pipe? I feel like one of the effects will be a horrible sounding car. I found a nice setup of for my exhaust, if I had a 15 post count I would show you a link to a video.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kyle_eagleton's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kyle_eagleton reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kyle_eagleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:04 AM   #3
Madness10
Advanced Member
Madness10 will become famous soon enough

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle_eagleton View Post
if I had a 15 post count I would show you a link to a video.
You are at 16 now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Madness10's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Madness10 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Madness10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:12 AM   #4
93saturnsc
93saturnsc is on a distinguished road

1993 SC2

All I'm runnin is pipe and a glass pack muffler no cat but left the o2 sensor inn place and my car runs a hair rich

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 93saturnsc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 93saturnsc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
93saturnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:13 AM   #5
Vulcansat
Vulcansat is on a distinguished road

You will loose what little low end torque you have. One day you will look back at yourself and laugh at the idea.
I know when I had my first car when I was 16 I put headers and a straight back through the factory tail pipes on a 1965 SS 327 Impala 4-speed. Dang I wish I had that car again.....

2000 SW2
1992 Mercedes Benz 300e
2000 Dakota RT 5.9
1994 Dakota 4X4 5.2L
1990 Itasca BBC 454/400 turbo

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Vulcansat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Vulcansat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Vulcansat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:59 PM   #6
Saturn-Desu!

1996 SL2
1995 SL1

So what I need to do is find a way to keep my 02 sensor, I don't mind if it runs rich but lean would not be cool lol

so less bottem end but more power up high right? Sounds good to me

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn-Desu! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-23-2013, 02:49 PM   #7
underthehood
Master Member
underthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn-Desu! View Post

First you will gain absolutely nothing. Second the sensor behind the CAT does not "control" any engine parameters it only sets a check engine light if it senses low catalyst efficiency. Unless you absolutely KNOW what you're doing and have access to reprogram the ECM for enhanced fuel flow and timing curves your simply pissing in to the wind for more noise

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to underthehood's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help underthehood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
underthehood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:17 PM   #8
PlasticCarsRock
Master Member
PlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the rough

1995 SL2

If you use the correct diameter pipe, it shouldn't hurt anything. Larger pipe will reduce torque but improve horsepower Going too big will reduce velocity and will hurt power everywhere. Any bigger than 2.25" is too big and will reduce power at every rpm. For low end power, 2" would probably be ideal. Most people go with 2.25," and that is what I would recommend. However, I would also recommend keeping a resonator, and a real muffler. With decent components, the power loss due to a real muffler is insignificant, but if you want the car to be loud, that's your call. Do what you want, but don't think it will be more powerful (and many if not most people will think it sounds stupid, except for some 15-20 year old boys who may think it's adding 200 horsepower).

You need the front O2 sensor (in the header). That controls the mixture, and is absolutely 100% necessary for the car to run correctly. Removing the rear O2 sensor will set a check engine light and cause you to fail any OBD2 emissions testing, but won't hurt anything besides that. Removing the cat will have the same effect, anyway, although you can often "trick" the PCM into missing that by using a spacer for the rear O2 sensor (the rear sensor is only there to monitor the cat's performance to set a check engine light when it fails).

As for your car running rich or lean: it shouldn't. Unless there is a serious problem with the main O2 sensor, another important sensor, or a severe mechanical problem, the car should not run rich or lean--it should be almost exactly right (14.7:1). For the first few seconds after a cold start, it will run a bit rich (until the O2 sensor warms up enough to work--only takes a few seconds). It will also run extremely rich at wide open throttle, as virtually all fuel injected cars do (due to the dangers of running lean, and the fact that traditional O2 sensors cannot read the richer mixture that is necessary under high load). Bolt on parts will not make any significant difference to the WOT air fuel ratio (it will still be extremely rich), and, of course, they will make absolutely no difference to the normal air/fuel ratio (due to the O2 sensor). The only way to change the WOT fuel ratio is to do significant modifications and/or tune it with a piggy-back or stand-alone control unit. Other than cold starts and WOT, it should not be running rich. What makes you think it is? If it actually is running rich (doubtful), there is a serious problem that you need to fix (running rich will wash down the cylinders with fuel causing increased wear of the cylinders/rings and oil dilution).

High compression build: .033" shaved/ported head, flat-faced valves; gen3 rods, pistons, tie-plate; OE header, custom CAI, SDA street cams with adjustable sprockets, WBO2, SAFCII, LSD. ASE A1-A8+L1

Last edited by PlasticCarsRock; 05-23-2013 at 05:22 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PlasticCarsRock's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PlasticCarsRock reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PlasticCarsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:21 AM   #9
Saturn-Desu!

1996 SL2
1995 SL1

Gonna stick with the 2" pipe that's on there now so no risk of going to big~an ya I'm mostly just doing it to make the car louder LoL

I didn't think it was running rich but thought it mght if I messed with a sensor

REWARD EXCELLENCE!