SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2013, 01:32 PM   #1
Doug C
Doug C will become famous soon enoughDoug C will become famous soon enough

2008 Outlook XE
Question primary Battery location !?

CAA (ama) was offering free battery checks outside their office this past Tues.

Their tech' said he could do a check using the jumper posts, but it would be untrue due to load from all the (sleeper) electronics.

Best to do direct off battery posts buuuut he enlightened (reminded ?) me, my Outlook batt' is hidden under the front passenger seat. It is not under the black plastic box I presumed was marked with a batt' symbol which seems to be actually a symbol they use for 'fuse/junction box' yeeeech !

So being in a quite pissy location, also recommended to me and a practise he has done (CAA call-out) take the unit straight to garage for assessing/accessing/fix batt' issue.

That is a real downer when I'm used to acquiring and replacing my own batt' on vehicles, to eliminate some $ from the $$$$ of shop charges.

And yes as he had no one else waiting I pulled out my manual ...low and behold GM just refers to accessing appropriate service manuals or dealership for any analysis or repair !

Anyone got a copy/page showing location and accessibility instructions for future needs

He was fairly certain for starters the seat assembly somehow flips fwd, carpet peels over , and then .....?

thanks for any info

doug c

p.s. we both concurred the manufacturers do builds to retain followup service $$$$

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Doug C's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Doug C reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Doug C is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2013, 02:14 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: primary Battery location !?

From http://parts.nalleygmc.com/. Look around........... I don't know why a battery load test couldn't be done by the battery auxiliary posts. They're designated to allow jump starting and if these auxiliary posts cannot supply unrestricted voltage/current flow then GM has a major design issue. Not. Whether an auxiliary battery post is used or connections directly to a battery, all electrical/electronics draw off the main power bus. The auxiliary posts under the hood have the same wire gauge as the battery cables otherwise a battery boost from any tow truck or portable booster wouldn't carry the current needed for the starter. Starters draw anywhere from 50-250 amps of welding current. If auxiliary cables aren't the same wire gauge as battery cables then these aux cables will simply fry the first time anyone tries boosting this vehicle.

A Toyota's Previa mini-van starter isn't accessible under the hood - its under the driver's seat that hides an access cover and still requires nimble hands/fingers to disconnect wiring and blindly remove the mounting bolts. My sister used the mini-van as her kids transportation and needed a starter before selling it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Outlook battery compartment.JPG (109.7 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by fdryer; 04-26-2013 at 02:22 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:33 PM   #3
Doug C

2008 Outlook XE

Thanks for the reply !

"...if these auxiliary posts cannot supply unrestricted voltage/current flow then GM has a major design issue. Not."

Weeell would definitely not be first design issue by GM or any other manufacturer LOL

Presume your attachment is our Outlook diagram, will have to ferret out or just drop by dealership to ask them how to pop seat to access that area.

Ooooops, this "was fairly certain for starters the seat assembly ....." this meant first thing that had to be done to access battery not implying vehicle starter ! Shucks like a battery though I would presume a engine starter would be under the hood close to the engine ... seemingly not --- damn manufacturers and their new design ("issues") !!!!

doug c

p.s. Been out on road trip no problems with batt' btw

Last edited by Doug C; 05-17-2013 at 09:38 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Doug C reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-18-2013, 01:00 AM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Well, be happy your battery is close to the engine. Ions have theirs in the trunk.

I'd look under the suv for a bulge that would fit the dimensions to hold a battery.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-18-2013, 07:33 AM   #5
Harald
Harald is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

Since it hasn't been stated explicitly here:

The battery isn't under the front passenger seat. It's behind it, and in front of the second row seats. There's an (easily removed) panel on the floor there, and the battery is underneath.

(It might be "under the seat" if the seat is pushed all the way back - i.e. you might have to pull the front seat forward).

Hope this helps,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Harald's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Harald reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Harald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:52 AM   #6
KD5NRH
KD5NRH is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug C View Post
Weeell would definitely not be first design issue by GM or any other manufacturer
You mean like the potmetal seat recline lever shafts and gasoline soluble fuel pump parts in the Blazer I had?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KD5NRH's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KD5NRH reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KD5NRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:34 PM   #7
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harald View Post
.........The battery isn't under the front passenger seat. It's behind it, and in front of the second row seats. There's an (easily removed) panel on the floor there, and the battery is underneath....Hope this helps,
Yayyyy!!!!! Finally, someone knows!?

BTW, is the Outlook the (discontinued) twin to the Acadia? I was never a fan of suv's but for hauling around 7 adults in a rental on vacation in Disney World it (Acadia) was awesome for the roominess. I admit I was spoiled to the point of driving over a curb (inadvertently) exiting a driveway one night............with a chuckle.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-19-2013, 01:24 PM   #8
Harald
Harald is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Yayyyy!!!!! Finally, someone knows!?
Haha! yes, the forums are pretty dead since the Outlook was discontinued...

Quote:
BTW, is the Outlook the (discontinued) twin to the Acadia?
The Saturn Outlook, the GMC Acadia, the Buick Enclave, and (now) the Chevy Traverse are all the same vehicle - based on the GM Lambda Platform.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Harald's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Harald reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Harald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:30 PM   #9
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Ok. If the Outlook forums are dying then the GMC Acadia, Buick Enclave, and Chevy Traverse (Lambda Platform) forums are busy......................sharing the same/similar info? One door closing, another door opening?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-23-2013, 03:18 PM   #10
Doug C

2008 Outlook XE
Attention Re: primary Battery location !?

Thanks for the location Harald .. will look 'into' it !

doug c

p.s. actually (my) Outlook is a CUV especially since I would not take it in places that I took my HondaAccordHB due to the insufficient (lower) clearance, (and also the electrical connections underneath ie look under the exterior/drivers seat position, mentioned at the Saturn delaership while they were still alive to the service mgr got a oh wow but no mention of missing cover etc.)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!