SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2011, 09:07 PM   #1
DimOutlook
DimOutlook is on a distinguished road

Default 2008 XE FWD 42k mi. shot tranny?

I bought this Outlook on Aug. 27th. Last week I noticed some hesitation and bucking when it shifted gears (mostly at 35-40mph, 55-60mph). Also noticed a slight delay in reverse before it would move. The dealer I bought it from is not authorized for Saturn service. I called the nearest Saturn service dealer and left a message with Service dept (it was Saturday. service was open, but they didn't answer the phone).

Tonight it died on the road, engine still running, but wouldn't go forward or reverse. The engine light came on. I had it towed to the dealer (7pm, open, but service dept. closed), dropped of the key and left a phone message.

I'm wondering if this will be covered under the Mfr. warranty? I purchased an extended warranty. Should I not mention my warranty, else the dealer will submit to them and bypass Mfr.?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DimOutlook's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DimOutlook reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DimOutlook is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2011, 07:28 AM   #2
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR
Default Re: 2008 XE FWD 42k mi. shot tranny?

tranny should be covered under 5/100k. zero deduct.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:04 PM   #3
DimOutlook

Just got a call from the dealer. It is covered under the powertrain warranty.
Rental will also be covered. I believe they are going to rebuild the transmission.

Does anyone have any long-term history with one of these rebuilt trannies?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help DimOutlook reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-04-2011, 03:55 PM   #4
DimOutlook

UPDATE: dealer just called. Says the car is ready! Something about a "1-3-5-R lock ... plate ..." A $20.00 part. He said GM made the plate too thick. The replacement is thinner.

That's all I can remember.

Anyway, it could have been a lot worse. The dealership was great. They kept me informed with several phone calls over two days. I didn't even buy the car from them.

Cheers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-05-2011, 09:44 AM   #5
DimOutlook

Here's the details on the transmission repair:

Internal mechanical disassembled. Found failure 0 F 3-5-R Wave Plate with damage resulting to 1-3-5-R housing and cover. Metal throughout and plugged filter. Cleaned all case debris, reconditioned valve body, replaced filter,housing, cover, clutches and all one-time-use seals and gaskets. Flushed cooler 2.5gpm 111F CYC 49709C7C06. Installed, filled and tested. No further issues.

It drives great. Better than before the problems. The "metal throughout" gives me concern about the long-term performance of the transmission.

But, so far, so good.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-02-2012, 12:56 AM   #6
jcarm
jcarm is on a distinguished road

Wave plate is a problem happening on all lambda vehicles. It is a known problem and what you mentioned are the warning signs of pending failure. Another warning sign is the inability to go into reverse. Another known problem is the timing chain. I received a letter in the mail from Saturn covering the timing chain to 120K miles.

Another problem that is common with lambda vehicles is water pump leaking and/or failing. I just had mine fixed because it was leaking and causing the car to overheat. My only warning sign was the engine fan would stay on after I would turn the vehicle off. The plastic engine cover, is over the refill port of the radiator, poor planning on Saturn/GMC's part. Had to remove plastic shield to get access. My vehicle has 38k miles and the GMC service adviser asked me if I had an extended warranty. I told him that it is covered by the 5 year/100k powertrain warranty.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jcarm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jcarm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jcarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:16 AM   #7
jah6719
jah6719 is on a distinguished road

Same problem with my 07 Outlook. 3-5-R wave plate went while on vacation. 6 weeks out of warranty... UUHHGG! After redaing up on the issues the warning signs were there a couple of months before it went. Waiting to hear if GM will stand up and honor the well known issue under warranty. The local dealership hasn't been too willing to help out as I'm not "local". I told them what the problem was, specifically saying the wave plate.... thre days later they diagnosed the same thing and now I'm faced not having a vehicle for our return trip home.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jah6719's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jah6719 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jah6719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:47 AM   #8
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

gm 6 speed auto problem. problem in aura also. 74k on my aura and its like a ticking time bomb waiting to happen. out of warranty so not cheap if id have to pay for it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-09-2013, 11:58 AM   #9
chris S
chris S is on a distinguished road

Default 2008 Saturn Aura XR 2/9/2013 So lucky!!!!

I have my Saturn Aura 2008 at the dealer today, the wave plate was broken, from what I read it genearly happens around 70k he said I was lucky to catch it so early. I have read this about Outlooks and other xr models the mechanic said they are all the same drivetrain. Thanks God Im still under warranty but I want others with a Aura xr to know about this is a issue since I dont see many Aura xr on hear complaining about this problem with this year. This is my wifes car and I never drive it but I notice it when driving to get the oil changed the rpm's jumped slightly between gears 2 and 3 and occasionaly it would shift hard. Please men drive your wife's car every once in a while this could havecost me 4k if I didn't get lucky and drive her car and noticed it because the warranty runs out in September of this year. She didn't even relize it since she drives like a old lady. I will say the car is a great car but does have problems with steering and transmission so I would probably not buy another but it doesnt matter anymore since they don't exist anymore.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chris S's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chris S reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chris S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:48 PM   #10
Wedge77
Wedge77 is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L

Curious, my Vue, 2008 had the wave plate going so I traded it in on a 2009 outllook, I was told after 2008 they had a different or upgraded tranny that didnt go through the wave plates like the others? Is this true, cause i just bought this Outlook and absolutely LOVE it!
thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Wedge77's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Wedge77 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Wedge77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:13 PM   #11
onefunkar
Master Member

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

wave plate was improved for 2010 models.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!