SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2013, 02:20 AM   #1
Elmore8917
Elmore8917 is on a distinguished road

Dizzy Wanting to upgrade the stereo in my 08 XR

Long story short, the Outlook XR has pretty much the basic stereo. There is no 6 disc changer, it does have satellite radio though. I have only had the Outlook now for a couple of days, and so far, the general sound quality of the system, well,.... BLOWS.... I mean, sucks bad. I traded in my 07 Vue for the Outlook and the Vue's stereo was bad ass for a factory stereo. So, anyone have some advice on what I should do or need to do. I can say upfront that I know enough about stereos and electronics to wire my own system. My question is, what kind of system should I go with.... I do not need anything that is Boomin.... I used to have 4 kicker l7 12's in a 13 cbft box in the back of a suburban with 4,500 watts rms and was in the Army so my ears are bad enough... I just want so great sound quality with affordable pricing.. Could probably keep the factory head unit just go with some components and a decent amp... or should I get some 3-ways in the front and a couple of 10's or 12's in the back?...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Elmore8917's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Elmore8917 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Elmore8917 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2013, 06:44 PM   #2
saturnions
saturnions is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Wanting to upgrade the stereo in my 08 XR

Long story short.......go spend money till you get it the way you like it..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnions's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnions reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:50 PM   #3
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to all

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnions View Post
Long story short.......go spend money till you get it the way you like it..
+1 ^^^

I'd start by upgrading the speakers. Even the base factory head unit is actually pretty good in your case. It has a 3-band EQ and is every bit as powerful as any aftermarket radio you can buy.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 175K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 170K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:55 AM   #4
lsuduke
lsuduke is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L
2010 Outlook XE

Not sure how different your stereo is vs the one in my 10 Outlook, but I hate it. No way is my stereo just as good as an aftermarket. Luckily its my wife's ride and she doesn't care about the stereo. With all the systems tied into the stereo with the bluetooth and the steering wheel controls not worth it to change it, especially when she's happy with it. But I have swapped out the stereo in my Vue, great little stock radio, but wanted more options, cost a bit to get the right adaptors to work with the onstar system, but steering wheel controls are dead, not worth the cost of the adapter. So I upgraded my stereo to bluetooth, with pandora, Hd Radio, Kenwood KDC-x796.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lsuduke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lsuduke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lsuduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 05:09 PM   #5
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to allruley73 is a name known to all

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsuduke View Post
....No way is my stereo just as good as an aftermarket...
The aftermarket head units do offer more flexibility for sound adjustments and other features such as USB input and Bluetooth. However, the amplifier chip used in the common 2006+ defacto GM factory radio (pictured below) is comparable to one from any newer aftermarket radio in terms of power output and distortion.

radio.PNG

I really don't care for many of the newer aftermarket radios. The displays on most of them only have one line. The ones that do offer a multiple line display are controlled by one knob and four buttons which makes them difficult to operate/adjust while driving. The characters they display usually resemble that of a cheap calculator. I prefer a dot-matrix display like those used in newer GM radios; such as the one pictured above.

Some of the more expensive models do a good job addressing some of these issues, but I don't feel that I should be forced to pay more than $200 dollars to get one.

This is just my opinion of course, but I really wish the aftermarket brands would take some notes from the OEM radios in the ease of operation department.

Last edited by ruley73; 02-14-2013 at 05:16 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-14-2013, 07:31 PM   #6
lsuduke

2006 VUE 3.5L
2010 Outlook XE

Gotcha ruley, but just because it uses a comparable chip doesn't mean it sounds the same. I am no audiophile but there is a reason why there is such an aftermarket for car stereo. If factory radios were as good as aftermarket, there would be no aftermarket, there would be no point. That's like saying an intel chip in a Samsung Galaxy tablet is the same as an intel chip in a polaroid tablet. Sure it may have the same spec but the components around it make or break the system. Just my opinion, if your stock stereo makes you happy more power to ya.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help lsuduke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-15-2013, 08:18 PM   #7
ruley73
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

To the OP: I think you first need to set some goals before we could truly make any suggestions. If you are content with the features your factory radio has, and are simply looking for the least evasive way to improve the sound quality, then installing new speakers should be your first objective. You can always work your way up from there.

Last edited by ruley73; 02-15-2013 at 08:29 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-17-2013, 10:19 AM   #8
lsuduke

2006 VUE 3.5L
2010 Outlook XE

Ruley is right, upgrade speakers to maintain original functionality of the Outlooks equipment. If you still aren't happy with what you have after that you'll have to decide on aftermarket head unit.. ooodles of choices here. Make sure you go and listen to the stereo, see how the controls function and see if you like how it is setup, then look online and see what you can do for price. I've always had luck with Crutchfield.com.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-12-2013, 04:04 PM   #9
gpeters9999
gpeters9999 is on a distinguished road

2010 Outlook XR

What about the radios in the new 2013 Acadia's or similar, does anyone know if they may fit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gpeters9999's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gpeters9999 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gpeters9999 is offline   Reply With Quote