SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2013, 02:59 PM   #1
97saturn sohc
97saturn sohc is on a distinguished road

Default Coolant Boiling Over

I have a 97 SL1 with 190,000 on her. I recently replaced my valves after one disintegrated. SO after a few mistakes I finally put the engine back together. New Felpro head gasket, new head bolts torqued correctly in sequence, the head was sent to a machine shop, next to no warpage, which was fixed, and no cracks. Block in excenllent condition...

SO the last couple of times I have replaced the head gasket, the exhuast is almost clear while idling. If I give her any gas however, it is straight white smoke. And in addition, I leave the car idling each time to warm up to make sure she is good. However, with or with out the expansion tank cap on, the coolant will begin to steam and then explosivly and suddenly boil over.

I cannot figure it out. IT should not be getting coolant in the pistons/ exhaust gases in the coolant because I have replaced it twice. Perfectly. I cant think of anything I have done wrong. But I cant figure out the white smoke or why the coolant is boiling over. Any thoughts?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 97saturn sohc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 97saturn sohc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
97saturn sohc is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2013, 03:40 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2
Default Re: Coolant Boiling Over

Has the ECTS been replaced? Has the thermostat been replaced? What is the antifreeze concentration?

Most importantly verify by direct observation that coolant is returning to the reservoir in a solid stream from the small line attached to the right rear corner of the reservoir. From a cold start remove the reservoir cap and look in the reservoir through the small square port in the partition and check for the return stream. This line will heat up rapidly as the engine warms up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 06:42 PM   #3
97saturn sohc

The coolant concentration is just the mixed GM Dexcool you buy at the store. Neither have been replaced. Im not sure why they would be a problem all of a sudden since the car was running great before I took the head off.

If coolant is not returning to the expansion tank in a stream what does that mean?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 97saturn sohc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-21-2013, 08:28 PM   #4
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

How were you able to remove the cylinder head without draining and subsequently replacing the coolant?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 08:39 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97saturn sohc View Post
The coolant concentration is just the mixed GM Dexcool you buy at the store. Neither have been replaced. Im not sure why they would be a problem all of a sudden since the car was running great before I took the head off.

If coolant is not returning to the expansion tank in a stream what does that mean?
It means the engine will warm up and belch out much coolant.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-21-2013, 09:44 PM   #6
97saturn sohc

No, I drained the coolant completely. Once I have put the engine back together then I put the coolant back in. And then it starts to steam before erupting out the expansion tank.

So I am going to replace the Thermostat (which looks brand new, but then again I have been without heat, It hasn't effected the engine temperature though) and the ETCS. When that is done, should it be the case, what do I do if there is no stream?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-21-2013, 10:55 PM   #7
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Check the hose and the pipe it connects to for obstructions. No flow means no coolant in the head. This will warp the head. You should have flow at all times regardless of the status of the thermostat. I would check that before ripping the thermostat out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-28-2013, 04:25 PM   #8
97saturn sohc

Ok so i replaced the etcs and the thermostat with a Stant 195 degree. I have not noticed any boiling over yet and have driven her several miles. I have noticed a difference with the engine temperature though. Previously the normal operating temperature was exactly on the 1/4 line. Now it is hanging right below the 1/2 mark line. Any thoughts? Could it be because the two thermostats are different?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-28-2013, 04:40 PM   #9
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Right below 1/2 is normal temperature.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-29-2013, 06:23 AM   #10
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to allSignmaster is a name known to all

1995 SL1

Quote:
Ok so i replaced the etcs and the thermostat with a Stant 195 degree. I have not noticed any boiling over yet and have driven her several miles. I have noticed a difference with the engine temperature though. Previously the normal operating temperature was exactly on the 1/4 line. Now it is hanging right below the 1/2 mark line. Any thoughts? Could it be because the two thermostats are different?
Some of the factory cars shipped with a cooler running unit. Nothing to be concerned about though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:59 AM   #11
magtec
Advanced Member
magtec will become famous soon enough

1995 SW2

Quote:
the last couple of times I have replaced the head gasket...
you've replaced the head gasket at least three times?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to magtec's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help magtec reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
magtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:31 AM   #12
97saturn sohc

yeah... mistakes made, lots of knowledge learned

REWARD EXCELLENCE!