SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Site Information > Community Center > Suggestion Box
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2013, 01:14 PM   #1
Calavera
Calavera is on a distinguished road

Default New Hybrids get worse mileage than LS1

How is this possible. You think a 2013 would do better than a 1990.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Calavera's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Calavera reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Calavera is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2013, 04:50 PM   #2
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR
Default Re: New Hybrids get worse mileage than LS1

cars in the 80s got better mileage than today. the offset is they went 0 to 60 in over 10 seconds and had very low horsepower. at chevrolet in 1981 we came out with a chevette diesel that was rated 43/60. people got in the 50s in the road with the 5 speed. even cavalier was rated 28/41...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:55 PM   #3
Calavera
Calavera is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefunkar View Post
cars in the 80s got better mileage than today. the offset is they went 0 to 60 in over 10 seconds and had very low horsepower. at chevrolet in 1981 we came out with a chevette diesel that was rated 43/60. people got in the 50s in the road with the 5 speed. even cavalier was rated 28/41...
That is very true, still for 2013 the average mpg should be like at least 50!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Calavera's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Calavera reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Calavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:59 PM   #4
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

This should be moved to OT- Other Cars
What are you referring to when you say LS1?
Which Hybrids are you referring to?

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:54 AM   #5
ToledoEngineer
ToledoEngineer is on a distinguished road

2008 SKY Red Line
1992 SL1

In the mid to late 90s cars changed. Safety regulations changed. Insulation in vehicles changed. The vehicles you are comparing, from then and now, compare their weights as well. Weight is a HUGE factor in mpg. Increased weight equates to higher friction and drag forces.

For example, I own a '92 SL1 and an '08 Sky RL. I can easily push the SL1 even up slight grades, like a driveway, entirely by myself. The Sky is another story. It's 3k lbs empty. I'd bet the SL1 is half that, though I've never actually looked up a figure. I averaged 38.5mpg from Ohio to SoCal and back (I actually did even better through the rockies) back in March 2006. 5500 miles round trip. And I think probably 2 1/2 gallons of oil, right after an oil change. With a tune up, I probably could have hit 42-45mpg. In the Sky, I average between 18-21mpg depending on if my bad tire wants to stay inflated or not. Side note: I have always had one tire that always wants to go flat in this car. All four have been replaced at some point over the last 51k miles and I am considering changing them all at once in the next few months. I think my issue is the rim, even though it's been looked at by two different dealers.

"Education is the progressive realization of our own ignorance"

1992 SL1: 149k miles
2008 Sky RL: 35k miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ToledoEngineer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ToledoEngineer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ToledoEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:56 AM   #6
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

also in the 80s 150 horsepower was alot. even the new world class 1984 corvette was 205 hp. many cars were under 100hp. i had a tire on my aura that leaked. even more in cold weather. i took it off the car laid it down and put water around the rim after filing it to 45 pounds. i could see bubbles from around the rim. .

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote