SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2013, 12:43 AM   #1
ninetynineSC2
Advanced Member
ninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura aboutninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura aboutninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SC2
Default Can I get some opinions?

I was thinking about replacing the factory fogs with some driving lights to aid the low beams. My idea was that the factory fog location is low enough that driving lights shouldn't blind oncoming traffic. (I'll aim them down if need be) Thoughts on this? Also, if I did this, would there be a way to use the stock switch to turn them on/off? IIRC the stock switch only supplies ground to the factory fogs, so would I be able to use this to ground a relay to power the driving lights?

Current:

1999 SC2, 186,XXX

Past:

1989 Mustang LX, Unknown mileage(JY engine in it when I got it)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ninetynineSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ninetynineSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ninetynineSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2013, 08:29 AM   #2
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2
Default Re: Can I get some opinions?

Unless the coupes are different, the stock switch triggers the relay under the hood. You should be able to wire in aftermarket lights directly in place of the OEMs. Fitment is another question; there are several aftermarket round lights that perfectly match the OEMs on the sedans/wagons, but the coupes are an odd duck.

There's also a simple mod to keep them on with the high beams. I posted a thread about it, but for some reason not finding it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:35 AM   #3
ninetynineSC2
Advanced Member
ninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura aboutninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura aboutninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SC2

I had read that the stock wiring wouldn't be able to handle the increased draw from aftermarket lights. It'd be fairly simple to upgrade it though.

Current:

1999 SC2, 186,XXX

Past:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ninetynineSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-20-2013, 10:30 AM   #4
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

I've been running 55-watt H3s in my '96 SW2 for prob. close to 10 years now. All OEM wiring, except the last bit spliced into the H3 connector. No problems.

The thing you don't want to do is put higher power bulbs in the stock _housings_. The brighter bulbs burn hotter, and will melt the plastic housings.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-20-2013, 12:48 PM   #5
ninetynineSC2
Advanced Member

1999 SC2

Cool. Think driving lights in place of fogs would blind oncoming traffic (even though they're low and would be aimed)?

Current:

1999 SC2, 186,XXX

Past:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-20-2013, 01:22 PM   #6
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

They'll probably be no worse than the fogs... but that depends on how bright they are

I'm thinking about going to LED driving lights, aimed low... mostly so other drivers can see me (may disable the DRLs)

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 03:38 PM   #7
madpogue

1996 SW2

I've never been "flashed" having my driving lights on. I've walked out 10, 50, 100 yards in front of the car and looked at them from the equivalent of a passenger car driver's seat position. Not blinding at all. And even though they're driving lights, they throw a fair amount of light to the sides of the road, which is priceless for spotting crossing critters on small rural roads.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-20-2013, 07:46 PM   #8
dummo
Master Member
dummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nicedummo is just really nice

1997 SW2

Have you considered a pair of small machine guns instead?

1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
1994 SL1 new traded
1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:05 PM   #9
ninetynineSC2
Advanced Member

1999 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
I've never been "flashed" having my driving lights on. I've walked out 10, 50, 100 yards in front of the car and looked at them from the equivalent of a passenger car driver's seat position. Not blinding at all. And even though they're driving lights, they throw a fair amount of light to the sides of the road, which is priceless for spotting crossing critters on small rural roads.
What lights do you have? Also, I've DEFINITELY considered mounted guns

Current:

1999 SC2, 186,XXX

Past:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-22-2013, 12:05 AM   #10
ninetynineSC2
Advanced Member

1999 SC2

So I might get some driving lights this weekend...Are the $20-30 ones any good? I don't need anything REALLY bright, just enough to light up a little further for the low beams.

Current:

1999 SC2, 186,XXX

Past:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-22-2013, 01:08 AM   #11
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Not really. For decent results you have to spring for the largest reflector area you can tolerate and the high quality bulbs. Once you find the physical size criteria then you can find out who makes the good lights and go shopping for a used set. Plan on buying good bulbs as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:06 PM   #12
ninetynineSC2
Advanced Member

1999 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Not really. For decent results you have to spring for the largest reflector area you can tolerate and the high quality bulbs. Once you find the physical size criteria then you can find out who makes the good lights and go shopping for a used set. Plan on buying good bulbs as well.
By largest reflector area, would that mean the biggest size light I can find?

Current:

1999 SC2, 186,XXX

Past:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-22-2013, 02:20 PM   #13
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Round lights make a round beam that is modified by the lens. Oval or rectangular lamps produce a similarly shaped beam. Rectangular or oval lamps are about all that will fit and not look strange. This will provide some ideas. http://www.rallylights.com/hella/Aux...LampsGrid.aspx

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/p.../products.html

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote