SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2013, 05:16 PM   #1
nick.evans
nick.evans has a spectacular aura aboutnick.evans has a spectacular aura about

Default sc1 horn fuse blows/ possible short?

My 98' sc1, 155k miles has an issue with the horn's fuse blowing over and over. I have replaced the original horn with a new one that I wired a relay to (since saturn had the relays directly on the horn). It worked for about a year, then stopped. The under the hood fuse blew, so I replaced the fuse which immediately blew when the horn button on the steering wheel was pressed. Tried it once more just to see and blew another fuse. I've heard that this usually indicates a short some where? Does this sound accurate to you saturn afficianado's? While writing this I'm wondering if my custom wire job on the horn may have come loose causing an incomplete ground? Not sure the best way to test it. I imagine a voltmeter, but not sure where to probe to test? Suggestions are appreciated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nick.evans's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nick.evans reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nick.evans is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2013, 06:31 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2
Default Re: sc1 horn fuse blows/ possible short?

Sounds like the relay is shot, or the horn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:40 PM   #3
nick.evans

Would that cause the fuse to blow?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help nick.evans reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-09-2013, 08:42 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Yes, disconnect horn, replace fuse, blow horn, does fuse blow? If no = bad horn. If yes suspect relay.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-12-2013, 05:54 PM   #5
nick.evans

That is a delightfully simple little test that I never would have considered. Thanks OldNuc. I'll Give it a try this weekend and see what we find.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-12-2013, 06:01 PM   #6
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Based on results maybe the fix will be equally easy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-16-2013, 04:38 PM   #7
nick.evans

Took out the horn and it was literally pouring out water. Disconnected the horn (left the relay hooked up), put in a new fuse, pressed the horn button and could hear the relay switching, and the fuse didn't blow! I'm going to order a new horn and hook it up and hopefully that's all there is too it. I'll post the results when I get the new horn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-16-2013, 04:46 PM   #8
OldNuc

1998 SC2

They do not work well full of water.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-16-2013, 05:00 PM   #9
nick.evans

I'm looking at replacing it with this horn: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

It says it's a 12volt horn, which I believe is what my sc1 takes (could be misunderstanding though). Reading reviews about it, people said they have to go to a higher fuse though cause it blows the standard 10watt fuse. What are you are your thoughts on that, and is it advisable to avoid going to larger fuses? (I don't know if the fuse is to prevent sending to much load to the horn, or if it also prevents sending too much of a load through other places as well).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-16-2013, 06:13 PM   #10
OldNuc

1998 SC2

I would avoid any horn that will not function on a 10 amp circuit. Using larger fuse usually leads to serous unhappiness.

The fuse protects the remainder of the car wiring.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-16-2013, 06:56 PM   #11
nick.evans

I'll just order another FIAMM horn. It worked well, guess I can't fault it for not working when filled with water.

http://www.amazon.com/FIAMM-72112-Fr...y+blaster+horn

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-16-2013, 08:30 PM   #12
OldNuc

1998 SC2

That works. Might want to aim it so it does not fill up with water.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!