SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Red Line
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2013, 02:31 PM   #1
AJEsquire
AJEsquire is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE Red Line
Default Ignition Switch Issue....

Interesting thing happened to me a couple of days ago.....while my RL was running....I tried to take something off the key chain and with out any pulling or tugging...the key just slid right out of the ignition...and she is STILL running! Now, I know it didn't always do that because 2 months ago I forgot to put it in park when I turned her off and the key wouldn't come out and that is when I realized I hadn't put it in park. So....what does this mean? Is it a sign that my ignition switch needs to be changed? Or can I keep running her like this with no ill effects? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AJEsquire's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AJEsquire reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AJEsquire is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2013, 03:24 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Ignition Switch Issue....

Its been said that heavily laden key chains may wear out the lock cylinder and to have the car keys completely separate from all other keys.

The ignition switch is separate from the lock cylinder. Either the lock cylinder is worn out or the key is. If you are using a well worn key try the spare and see if you can pull it out with the ignition switch in the ON position. A worn key should be replaced with a dealer made OEM key based on your VIN. A good spare key that pulls out would mean the lock cylinder is worn out.

You can leave this as is but it would be better to fix what's wrong.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:56 PM   #3
homerec130
homerec130 is on a distinguished road

2008 VUE 3.6L
2006 VUE 3.5L

For security aspect, it is also good to have the other keys (house, office, etch...) on a different key ring. If someone gets your car keys, then they don't have the rest of them. Also, when the car goes to the mechanics, all they will have is the car keys and not your house.

I was told this a good many years ago by the OSI as part of a local security briefing.

Homer

Paul "Homer" Simpson
15 Ford Fiesta, Gray
06 Vue 3.5L, FWD, Storm Grey (Wife's Ride)

08 Vue 3.6L, FWD, Sunburst Orange - RIP 6T70

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to homerec130's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help homerec130 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
homerec130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:58 PM   #4
AJEsquire

2005 VUE Red Line

Okay then the cylinder lock then....I do not have a spare key to test the theory of key or lock being worn....If my warranty covers it then I may fix it, if not I will leave as is if it can't get so bad that the key won't turn in the cylinder lock at all. My keys are not heavy and I can separate my car keys from house keys in one click, so I will do that from now on before starting it....OR start the car then pull the key out so there is no need to lighten the keys! lol.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help AJEsquire reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-04-2013, 09:27 AM   #5
RedGeminiPA
RedGeminiPA will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 3.5L

My grandfather was big on that. ONLY the car keys and nothing else. If you carried a bunch of keys, your car keys better not be with them, or he'd say something about it.

Avid Apple, car and vacuum enthusiast. Don't hate! ;)

Current:
'04 FWD 3.5L

Previous:
'05 AWD Red Line
'02 L200

http://www.facebook.com/SaturnFansNorthEast

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RedGeminiPA's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RedGeminiPA reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RedGeminiPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:57 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJEsquire View Post
Okay then the cylinder lock then....I do not have a spare key to test the theory of key or lock being worn....If my warranty covers it then I may fix it, if not I will leave as is if it can't get so bad that the key won't turn in the cylinder lock at all. My keys are not heavy and I can separate my car keys from house keys in one click, so I will do that from now on before starting it....OR start the car then pull the key out so there is no need to lighten the keys! lol.
Keys and ignition switches are not warranty items. New maybe if this occurred during new car ownership.

I hope you are joking with the last sentence...........here in the Big Apple, women have parked their car/suv with baby in back, left the engine running to run into a store for something and came out to find their ride gone in an instant. The thief finds out about baby soon enough and mercifully (if you can accept this for the moment) stops off somewhere and leaves the baby on a corner for passersby. This makes the news and seems to occur a few times now with regularity until moms figure out the ignorance on their part. All part of the NYC experience....................

It might be better to have GM make a new key based on your car's VIN for an accurate OEM key. Then you can see if the new key won't slip out with the ignition switch ON. And you'll have a spare key.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:52 PM   #7
AJEsquire

2005 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Keys and ignition switches are not warranty items. New maybe if this occurred during new car ownership.

I hope you are joking with the last sentence...........here in the Big Apple, women have parked their car/suv with baby in back, left the engine running to run into a store for something and came out to find their ride gone in an instant. The thief finds out about baby soon enough and mercifully (if you can accept this for the moment) stops off somewhere and leaves the baby on a corner for passersby. This makes the news and seems to occur a few times now with regularity until moms figure out the ignorance on their part. All part of the NYC experience....................

It might be better to have GM make a new key based on your car's VIN for an accurate OEM key. Then you can see if the new key won't slip out with the ignition switch ON. And you'll have a spare key.
My warranty is not a normal warranty ;-). I am calling them today to double check and see if it's covered because sometimes there is a hitch and the key won't turn so I need to get it fixed before the key doesn't turn anymore at all. And I have a remote start in my Saturn the last sentence was half a joke...half not lol.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-27-2013, 03:09 PM   #8
Mark94
Mark94 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line

It's the tumblers in the lock cylinder. What has been said already is true, heavy key chains wear out the tumblers inside the cylinder and allows the key to slide right out.

It's not going to hurt anything if you continue to use the key and cylinder as is.

My first car when I started driving in 1994 was a 1981 Buick Skylark. Those cars had a sqare(ish) key that was used to start the ignition and a round(ish) key that you would use to unlock/lock the doors so you needed 2 keys.

My cylinder/tumblers were worn out and I could just slide my key out while the car was still running. This is before any fancy security devices so I would just leave my car running if I was running into a store, pull the key from ignition, lock the doors from the outside with the other key and take my keys with me. I was always taught that shutting and starting a car a minute or 2 later will use more gas than if I left it running for a minute so this was a neat little feature for a 17/18 year old.

With factory alarm systems and immobilizer keys these days, I'm not sure you would even be able to lock the doors from the outside if the car was running.

Either way, nothing really to worry about if you can't get it covered.
Mark

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mark94's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mark94 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mark94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:16 PM   #9
AJEsquire

2005 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark94 View Post
It's the tumblers in the lock cylinder. What has been said already is true, heavy key chains wear out the tumblers inside the cylinder and allows the key to slide right out.

It's not going to hurt anything if you continue to use the key and cylinder as is.

My first car when I started driving in 1994 was a 1981 Buick Skylark. Those cars had a sqare(ish) key that was used to start the ignition and a round(ish) key that you would use to unlock/lock the doors so you needed 2 keys.

My cylinder/tumblers were worn out and I could just slide my key out while the car was still running. This is before any fancy security devices so I would just leave my car running if I was running into a store, pull the key from ignition, lock the doors from the outside with the other key and take my keys with me. I was always taught that shutting and starting a car a minute or 2 later will use more gas than if I left it running for a minute so this was a neat little feature for a 17/18 year old.

With factory alarm systems and immobilizer keys these days, I'm not sure you would even be able to lock the doors from the outside if the car was running.

Either way, nothing really to worry about if you can't get it covered.
Mark
I was hoping that was the case, but like I said...sometimes I go to turn the key and it won't turn....i have to wiggle it a bit and then it turns....it didn't do that before which is why I am wondering if it is getting worse or not? Anywho...if it's not covered I will keep it longer because my understanding is its not a cheap replacement....I will let them check it out while they check to see if they can legally do anything about the limiter that now appears to engage at 100mph even though it didn't before they reprogrammed my torque converter :-/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-27-2013, 04:08 PM   #10
Mark94

2004 VUE Red Line

It's either the cylinder or the worn key then.

I'd try getting a new key cut like already suggested as that will be cheaper than replacing the cylinder(s) - ignition and doors

Hopefully it is just the worn key.

Not commenting on the 100 mph limiter... Hopefully you are doing this on a track and in a controlled environment... I wouldn't want anyone flying around me and my kids in the back seats on public streets anywhere near 100 mph, especially in a Vue with it's sloppy suspension.

In my mind, there is absolutely no reason to be moving at that speed unless on a track and in a better suited car.

Best of luck with the key and cylinder issue.
Mark

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Mark94 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-27-2013, 05:58 PM   #11
Mark94

2004 VUE Red Line

So of course, I got in my RL after my daughter's softball practice and something made me tug on my car after I started it. I could feel it starting to give and the key slid right out.

Got home and tried our spare key it doesn't seem to want to leave the cylinder so I think it is just your worn key.

Our truck has 174k on it so it has a lot of starts on it and I can see how the key got worn.

I would have never known my key was worn unless I read your post today so I wouldn't worry much about it.

Mark

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-28-2013, 03:44 PM   #12
AJEsquire

2005 VUE Red Line

Quote:
It's either the cylinder or the worn key then.

I'd try getting a new key cut like already suggested as that will be cheaper than replacing the cylinder(s) - ignition and doors

Hopefully it is just the worn key.

Not commenting on the 100 mph limiter... Hopefully you are doing this on a track and in a controlled environment... I wouldn't want anyone flying around me and my kids in the back seats on public streets anywhere near 100 mph, especially in a Vue with it's sloppy suspension.

In my mind, there is absolutely no reason to be moving at that speed unless on a track and in a better suited car.

Best of luck with the key and cylinder issue.
Mark
Suspension in a regular Vue is crappy....RL suspension is....less than crappy lol...and it was on a straight country road with no traffic. But yes, I plan on taking it to the track, but sometimes you (meaning me) has to show some people that I am not driving a soccer mom SUV, I just rarely go up against a V8 so usually after quarter mile they realize they can't keep up and just stop so I usually top off at about 65 before having to brake ;-). If I have a limiter of 100, might as well buy a 4cylinder.

I will however have them remake the key, I am pretty sure that if nothing is wrong with the tumbler, they will find something wrong with the tumbler and have me switch it out....so, if not covered by warranty then I will get a new key cut....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-28-2013, 03:49 PM   #13
AJEsquire

2005 VUE Red Line

Quote:
So of course, I got in my RL after my daughter's softball practice and something made me tug on my car after I started it. I could feel it starting to give and the key slid right out.

Got home and tried our spare key it doesn't seem to want to leave the cylinder so I think it is just your worn key.

Our truck has 174k on it so it has a lot of starts on it and I can see how the key got worn.

I would have never known my key was worn unless I read your post today so I wouldn't worry much about it.

Mark
Thanks mark, makes me feel a lot better :-) What I think I will do, is just switch out the key that is hidden in my RL so i could remote start it....I just have to take it back to the people who put it in since it's in a special locked bypass thing. That key should be good as new! Don't know why I didn't think about that before!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-23-2013, 02:59 PM   #14
AJEsquire

2005 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJEsquire View Post
Thanks mark, makes me feel a lot better :-) What I think I will do, is just switch out the key that is hidden in my RL so i could remote start it....I just have to take it back to the people who put it in since it's in a special locked bypass thing. That key should be good as new! Don't know why I didn't think about that before!
Soooo, a few new things I have found out about my RL (which is steadily making me realize that Nissan vehicles are a couple of years ahead of GM in the tech dept.). One, the key does not have a chip in it, therefore I don't have a spare key hidden in the car so my remote starter will work. But on the flip side of that...dealerships will cut keys for 12 bucks!!! :-) So yes, my key could be pulled out of the ignition while the car was running because the key was worn. Issue resolved!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-23-2013, 09:43 PM   #15
Someclown
Someclown is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 3.0L

I actually find it quite handy the key comes out of the ignition while the vehicle is running. I can leave it run and lock the doors while I go into the corner store, etc. when the temperatures are -30 Celsius here in Canada. Its been like this for years (the ignition I mean not the temperature)haha.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Someclown's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Someclown reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Someclown is offline   Reply With Quote