SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2013, 12:26 AM   #1
ninetynineSC2
Advanced Member
ninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura aboutninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura aboutninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SC2
Dizzy Horn question...(Possibly a dumb question)

Long story short, when it gets warm enough to work on the car outside, I want to put a second horn in. Would I be able to get power and ground from the stock horn wires without frying anything or can the 10 amp system only handle one horn?

Current:

1999 SC2, 186,XXX

Past:

1989 Mustang LX, Unknown mileage(JY engine in it when I got it)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ninetynineSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ninetynineSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ninetynineSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2013, 01:38 AM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2
Default Re: Horn question...(Possibly a dumb question)

The horn button ground is limited to maybe 250mA absolute max. The orange power is fused at 10A and the ground will take about 20 with no serious consequences. The existing horn circuit is in my photo gallery. There is a richpon06a video on how to add horns complete with schematic and parts list. You have to toss the existing horn and use a high coil resistance relay to switch your new horns. I drew up this parts list and schematic for someone on here but it is well buried now. You make this conversion from the existing 3 wire horn mess to a conventional 2 wire horn system and then all these other horns work just fine. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZTPU8G5iM8

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:15 AM   #3
ninetynineSC2
Advanced Member
ninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura aboutninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura aboutninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SC2

Oh ok. So once I get it converted to 2 wire I can put in two horns? I saw a video where some persons car had one horn out of a honda or something added onto his stock horn and it sounded pretty attention getting. Kind of like when you hit two keys on opposite ends of a piano.

Current:

1999 SC2, 186,XXX

Past:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ninetynineSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-17-2013, 02:48 AM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Once you get it all converted you can do whatever you want. Trying to mix the existing 3 wire system and a new 2 wire system is possible but is not going to save you any grief in doing it either and will require the same number of parts. And it leaves with the disaster in waiting 3 wire horn.

I would rather replace the horn with something like a hellfire missile.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-17-2013, 10:37 AM   #5
ninetynineSC2
Advanced Member

1999 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
I still don't think that would keep people from cutting us off . I'm actually going to see about getting the horns off of the old flatbed truck we have at my familys junkyard....(Assuming they still work )

Current:

1999 SC2, 186,XXX

Past:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-17-2013, 10:42 AM   #6
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

Don't use an alarm horn like I apparently did on my SW2... Dog's start to move out of the way when it sounds like a horn but then get stuck like deer in headlights when it switch's to more of a warble/siren which is the exact opposite of what I wanted
It's on a unique circuit dedicated to the horn, 16ga wire & 10amp fuse so there's no danger of further ruining the stock circuit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:45 AM   #7
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetynineSC2 View Post
I still don't think that would keep people from cutting us off . I'm actually going to see about getting the horns off of the old flatbed truck we have at my familys junkyard....(Assuming they still work )
My idea was to just remove 1 more idiot from the gene pool.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-17-2013, 11:30 AM   #8
ninetynineSC2
Advanced Member

1999 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
My idea was to just remove 1 more idiot from the gene pool.
Sometimes I think that was the reasoning behind my dad putting the snowplow on his truck instead of actually plowing snow.

Current:

1999 SC2, 186,XXX

Past:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-18-2013, 09:01 PM   #9
DIYguy
Master Member
DIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2
Happy Re: Horn question...(Possibly a dumb question)

I recently put a pair of loud horns in my '97. You need a relay as OldNuc said because you will fry the horn button or its wiring otherwise.

Use one of the inexpensive 30 or 40 ampere sealed black cube relays.

I also wired mine so that they no longer honk when I lock and unlock the car. I disliked that "feature" from day one. But when I do want the horns, they are LOUD.

Quote:
Heat-seeking missiles were too expensive and I'd end up using too many of them. Besides, they'd just make me clean up the mess......

DIYguy

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

97SC2 Saturn, Cruze Eco, Chevy SS P/U, Honda VT1100C

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DIYguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DIYguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote