SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2013, 07:20 PM   #21
mark.tebb
mark.tebb is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 2003 SAturn Vue Transmission Fluid Service

Does anyone know how much it would cost to have a car mechanic replace the transmission filter on a Saturn Vue, 2003, 2.2litre engine? I was told that it would require about 8 hours of labour! Is this correct??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mark.tebb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mark.tebb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mark.tebb is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2013, 08:07 PM   #22
billysvue
Advanced Member
billysvue is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someclown View Post
Marc I am assuming this is the 2.2L with VTI, so I will post these instructions for adding fluids

On the scan tool, observe the Trans. Fluid Temp. and record the temperature.
If the Trans. Fluid Temp. is 20C (68F), add 0.5 qt (0.47 liter) of fluid to the transmission. Do not remove the plug.
If the Trans. Fluid Temp. is 40C (104F), add 0.75 qt (0.71 liter) of fluid to the transmission. Do not remove the plug.
If the Trans. Fluid Temp. is 60C (140F), add 1 qt (0.95 liter) of fluid to the transmission. Do not remove the plug.
If the Trans. Fluid Temp. is 80C (176F), add 1.25 qt (1.18 liters) of fluid to the transmission. Do not remove the plug.
I guess this is were you would add from the black plug mentioned above
....And if the outside air temperature is 104F
( Phoenix)?

'05 ,2.2L, 5-speed VUE
181,000mi

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billysvue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billysvue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billysvue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:40 PM   #23
Cavell
Cavell is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

This thread kept bouncing from VTi trans to non-VTi trans. Does the 03 V6, 3.0, auto trans vue have a trans dipstick? A trans pan and filter?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cavell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cavell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cavell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:18 PM   #24
e-norman
e-norman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someclown View Post
Marc I am assuming this is the 2.2L with VTI, so I will post these instructions for adding fluids

trans. Fluid Checking
Install a scan tool.
start the engine.
park the vehicle on a level surface.
press the brake pedal and move the shift lever from PARK to REVERSE for 10 seconds.
press the brake pedal and move the shift lever from REVERSE to DRIVE for 10 seconds.
move the shift lever back to PARK. The engine should remain running.

remove the plug from the center of the fluid fill lower tube. The fluid fill lower tube is located on the bottom of the unit.

Do not use ATF . These fluids are not compatible with this transmission.
Use DEX-CVT fluid.

If fluid drains down as a steady stream from the opening, wait for it to stop. If fluid does not drain from the opening, add more fluid until it starts to drain as a steady stream, then stop adding fluid immediately. Allow fluid to drain until the fluid stream stops.

The normal use color for DEX-CVT fluid is green or light brown. Fluid may also turn dark brown from normal use, and does not always indicate contamination. Fluid that is very dark or black and has a burnt odor usually indicates contamination or over-heating.

Inspect the fluid color.
Inspect the fluid for metal or other debris which may indicate transaxle damage.
Inspect the fluid for a cloudy or milky appearance which may indicate engine coolant contamination.

Replace the lower fill tube plug. Tighten
Tighten the plug to 11 Nm (97 lb in).

This is were things get stupid,
You may be able to use a digital point and shoot thermometer on the pan for the temps instead of a scan tool but that sir I DO NOT KNOW
Hope this helps you out !!

On the scan tool, observe the Trans. Fluid Temp. and record the temperature.
If the Trans. Fluid Temp. is 20C (68F), add 0.5 qt (0.47 liter) of fluid to the transmission. Do not remove the plug.
If the Trans. Fluid Temp. is 40C (104F), add 0.75 qt (0.71 liter) of fluid to the transmission. Do not remove the plug.
If the Trans. Fluid Temp. is 60C (140F), add 1 qt (0.95 liter) of fluid to the transmission. Do not remove the plug.
If the Trans. Fluid Temp. is 80C (176F), add 1.25 qt (1.18 liters) of fluid to the transmission. Do not remove the plug.
I guess this is were you would add from the black plug mentioned above
I do not understand where is the plug on the transmission.

Here is my problem with my car:
"I also have a 2003 Saturn Vue with a CVT. My issue is that upon acceleration the belt in the transmission makes a whining sound for a bit (as if the belt rubs against something). I found that if I warm up the car it does not have the sound. However if the car is not fully warmed up, the first time I drive it in the day it will make the noise if I go beyond 2000 revs. However, if i drive a few hours later and don't warm up the car again, it does not make the sound. Is this an issue with not having enough transmission oil to lubricate the belt? Does someone know what the issue is and how do I fix this?"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to e-norman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help e-norman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
e-norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:35 PM   #25
m1super90
m1super90 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavell View Post
This thread kept bouncing from VTi trans to non-VTi trans. Does the 03 V6, 3.0, auto trans vue have a trans dipstick? A trans pan and filter?
My 2003 Vue FWD with V6 has a transmission dipstick. It's is on the bumper side of the trans. It has a yellow handle and it's held down by a spring clip at its side. As for the filter, I don't see a fluid pan so I don't believe there is one.

The confusing thing is that I've got two factory service manuals pages. Each showing a different drain point. One is a simple bolt on the side of the case. The other is a tube with a center plug that goes in at the bottom of the case. Both seem to apply to FWD. Anybody know what's up with this?

Regarding fluid options beyond Saturn (T-IV 22689186)/Toyota (T-IV)/Delco (ATF-Z1) I've dug up some info for Mobil Oil and Valvoline:
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...smissions.aspx
http://www.valvoline.com/products/br...ssion-fluid/37

Mobil flat-out says their Synthetic ATF and Multi-vehicle ATF will not damage the trans and that it should shift and work normally. Both claim compatibility with T-IV.

Mobil ATF 3309 also states compatibility in a second non synthetic form (the other being Multi-vehicle ATF): http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/..._ATF_3309.aspx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to m1super90's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help m1super90 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
m1super90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:28 PM   #26
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to all

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

There's some pics in this thread . . .
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=158509

I'd rather not get involved in the recommended fluid debate.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:38 PM   #27
m1super90
m1super90 is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazberry View Post
There's some pics in this thread . . .
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=158509

I'd rather not get involved in the recommended fluid debate.
Thanks! Already saw those and asked a buddy who owns a big repair stop in L.A. to tell me what's what. He's worked on these motors in the Cadillac (sister in law has one). I'll post what I find.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to m1super90's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help m1super90 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
m1super90 is offline   Reply With Quote