SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2012, 12:31 AM   #1
ninetynineSC2
Advanced Member
ninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura aboutninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura aboutninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SC2
Default T-Stat replacement question

I know theres dozens of threads on this but I like to be positive and doublecheck before I get anything for my car. Anyhow, the temp guage never really goes much past 1/4. I get air hot enough to cook me out of the car but the temp should be higher than that I feel a replacement T-Stat is better than paying more for potential problems later on. The Stant 14279 is the correct one right? Also, if the current T-Stat is bad would I see better fuel economy and such from replacing it? Thanks

Current:

1999 SC2, 186,XXX

Past:

1989 Mustang LX, Unknown mileage(JY engine in it when I got it)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ninetynineSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ninetynineSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ninetynineSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2012, 12:41 AM   #2
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1
Default Re: T-Stat replacement question

If it's going to 1/4, it's possible you have a good thermostat, but one that is made for the lower temp. The higher temp thermostat should help your fuel economy a bit.

To be sure, you've already replaced your ECTS, right?

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:14 AM   #3
ninetynineSC2
Advanced Member
ninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura aboutninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura aboutninetynineSC2 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SC2

Yup ECTS is brass. Its just a hair over 1/4. Did some more research and I think I'll borrow my dads scantool this weekend and see what the temp is when its warmed up (Didn't know some of the S series guages can be so far off from one another and the car still be at the right temp). I'm only just now concerned because my mpg's seem lower than last winter. This summer I averaged around 33-34 (Which compared to what others are getting seems low to me) and that was with very fuel economy minded driving. Might also check the ECTS connector for corrosion I might not have noticed when I replaced the sensor while I'm under the hood.

Current:

1999 SC2, 186,XXX

Past:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ninetynineSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-13-2012, 03:10 AM   #4
mizzly
mizzly is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

I had no heat on my 96 sl2. The gauge went to 1/4.
Changed the thermostat first and it didn't help the heat or raise the temp gauge.
Had the heater core flushed and now I have great heat but the gauge still reads a hair over 1/4. I have decided the gauge is probably wrong.
At least i have heat

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mizzly's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mizzly reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:51 AM   #5
anmasher
anmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura aboutanmasher has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetynineSC2 View Post
Anyhow, the temp guage never really goes much past 1/4.
Mine was the exact same until I replaced the thermostat earlier this week. Now it goes to just before the 1/2 mark.

Quote:
The Stant 14279 is the correct one right? Also, if the current T-Stat is bad would I see better fuel economy and such from replacing it? Thanks
Yes, and you should... of course YMMV

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to anmasher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help anmasher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
anmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:52 AM   #6
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

The scanner is a good idea - if you have good heat, it sounds like the tstat is working.

When my tstat died, I had almost no heat in the cabin for maybe 15~20 minutes and I lost 1~2 mpg

But keep in mind, the scanner relies on what the PCM reads from the ECTS, so a bad ECTS or connector will mean the PCM is reporting the temp incorrectly.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:49 AM   #7
ninetynineSC2
Advanced Member

1999 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
But keep in mind, the scanner relies on what the PCM reads from the ECTS, so a bad ECTS or connector will mean the PCM is reporting the temp incorrectly.
Thats why I figured if it didn't seem quite right on the scanner I'd check the ECTS connecter and see what it looks like. Start with the free stuff

Current:

1999 SC2, 186,XXX

Past:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-13-2012, 03:25 PM   #8
ninetynineSC2
Advanced Member

1999 SC2

Quick question for when I'm checking the temp tomorrow. If it seems WAY off on the scanner I might stick a thermometer in the coolant tank and compare the two. Anyhow, I know Saturns either have the stock 185 or 195F, what is considered normal temp for the coolant when its warmed up? (I would assume 185/195 depending on which T-Stat but I don't know much about cooling systems )

Also, now that I think about it I don't think I've ever had the cooling fan come on (Don't think the cars ever gotten hot enough to need it) The highest the gauge has ever gone was 1/2 when sitting in traffic and that only happened once. I'll post the temp it's reading at and see what you guys/gals think of it as far as it being a normal temp.

Current:

1999 SC2, 186,XXX

Past:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-13-2012, 04:05 PM   #9
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really niceRobertGary1 is just really nice

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
The scanner is a good idea - if you have good heat, it sounds like the tstat is working.
There are far too many other environmental factors that could affect the perceived amount of heat to conclude that the tstat is working.
Understand that the bulk of the aftermarket tstats out there are the wrong temp. Saturn says 192 yet most places are selling around 180. You may just have the wrong one.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:04 PM   #10
ninetynineSC2
Advanced Member

1999 SC2

I think I might be worrying about nothing. http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/a...empreading.jpg <--My needle is about a needlewidth short of that normally. Maybe the I'm just thought I was getting better mpg's last winter I'll still do the temp check and be sure though. (Maybe I baby my car a little TOO much )

Current:

1999 SC2, 186,XXX

Past:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!