SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2012, 05:02 PM   #1
berzley
berzley is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
Default Part swap after accident

My '99 SL2 got hit on my front passenger side by a Subaru running a stop sign and got a little banged up. My strut on that side is bent pretty good and I found a guy near buy getting ready to junk a '00 SL2 fully loaded and he said he would be more than willing to give any and all parts I want off of it really cheep.
For starters, I think only the engine is bad in his car, not sure what exactly. And it he said it looks like someone tried to pry the trunk open with a crowbar.

I need to know if the strut and knuckle will be a straight swap, I know anything '96-'99 should fit well but I'm not sure about the '00.
Also, I need a new headlight, fog light, fender, and bumper cover from the damage.

If anyone can let me know what I should try to get out of his car that wont cause issues swapping over let me know.
Thanks.

Don't worry the subaru looked much worse than my car.

'99 SL2 Automatic 88K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to berzley's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help berzley reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
berzley is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2012, 05:45 PM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2
Default Re: Part swap after accident

'94-'02 any strut & knuckle swaps fine.

I believe the Sedan/Wagon body style changed in '00 so if you swap the fenders it won't match up right with the rest of the body. It may work awesome to do the headlights, hood, front fenders and bumper though, so be extra vigilant in looking for body line changes from the door panel to the front fender on both cars

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:23 PM   #3
berzley
berzley is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Well this sucks, I just went and checked out the car. I looked up the VIN and its a 2001 LS1.
Any chance of the strut still making the cross over?

'99 SL2 Automatic 88K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to berzley's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help berzley reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
berzley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:07 AM   #4
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

On the off chance you don't get a reply, you can try looking up replacement struts for the SL2 and the LS1 on any auto parts store or aftermarket site, and see if they both come up with the same parts

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:30 AM   #5
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud offetchitfido has much to be proud of

2001 SC2

L-Series are fairly different cars, but going by the pictures on RockAuto the struts are fairly similar. I know Neon struts fit fine if you shave the mounting point on the knuckle a mm or two, dunno about the L-Series.
If you can get it for cheap enough to not feel robbed if it doesn't fit, you could be a guinea pig Though, if it does fit it'd be best to replace all 4 so you don't get one side of the car reacting oddly...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote