SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Outlook > Outlook General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-30-2010, 07:38 PM   #21
patmatpat
patmatpat is on a distinguished road

2008 Outlook XR
Default Re: Headlight Wiring Harness Recall

Frustrated Outlook owner with same wire harness problem. Both are out now. Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket heavy duty wire harness replacement and is it easy to install? I have 38k miles and don't feel like spending $800.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to patmatpat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help patmatpat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
patmatpat is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2010, 06:34 PM   #22
nii2
nii2 is on a distinguished road

Same problem with my 2008 Saturn. You can access the lightbulb by:
1. Turning the wheel all the way to the right
2. Unscrew the 4 metal screws that hold the plastic wheel housing in place
3. Just pull back the housing and you can access the headlight
4. unscrew the cap on the back of the light housing - note, I immediately smelled the burnt wiring
5. pop off the clips and the wiring harness will easily come off.

I am filing a complaint with the NHTSA.

Unbelievable

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nii2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nii2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nii2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:47 PM   #23
logbite
logbite is on a distinguished road

2007 Outlook XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by patmatpat View Post
Frustrated Outlook owner with same wire harness problem. Both are out now. Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket heavy duty wire harness replacement and is it easy to install? I have 38k miles and don't feel like spending $800.
There is a tech notice on this and should be covered by GM - they covered my 2007 Outlook!"TSB #09-08-42-004 "Low Beam Headlamp Replacement/Diagnosis (Inspect Fuse, Bulb, Harness, Replace Harness and Fill Connector Cavity for Low Beam Bulb Connector with Nyogel Grease) - (May 29, 2009). Document ID: 2284787. Applies to models 2007-2009 Saturn OUTLOOK"

Outlook XR FWD, charcoal, black leather,
premium seating,
premium plus seating
Dual sunroof,towing package,
cold weather package

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to logbite's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help logbite reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
logbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 03:15 PM   #24
2ksilverbullet
2ksilverbullet is on a distinguished road

Signed up to post that I have been dealing with this exact issue on my wifes 2008 Outlook. The drivers side went out first, replaced bulb and it's been good since. The passenger side, on the other hand, has been burning out bulbs left and right. A quick search of the issue brought me to this thread. I Dropped it off at the dealer last night and made note of the TSB posted here. Just received a call that even though my Outlook is out of warranty (have 41k miles on it) that they took care of it because it was a known issue.

I was expecting to get hassled on the costs of the repair but it worked out good, didn't cost me a cent (even with car out of warranty), only a day without the car.

Thanks to all for the TSB info!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2ksilverbullet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2ksilverbullet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2ksilverbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:32 AM   #25
2ksilverbullet
2ksilverbullet is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ksilverbullet View Post
Signed up to post that I have been dealing with this exact issue on my wifes 2008 Outlook. The drivers side went out first, replaced bulb and it's been good since. The passenger side, on the other hand, has been burning out bulbs left and right. A quick search of the issue brought me to this thread. I Dropped it off at the dealer last night and made note of the TSB posted here. Just received a call that even though my Outlook is out of warranty (have 41k miles on it) that they took care of it because it was a known issue.

I was expecting to get hassled on the costs of the repair but it worked out good, didn't cost me a cent (even with car out of warranty), only a day without the car.

Thanks to all for the TSB info!
Part number listed on the invoice for the harness is 20913209. Looks to be pretty cheap ($26 online) for those that want to repair themselves.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2ksilverbullet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2ksilverbullet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2ksilverbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:00 PM   #26
tlyons
tlyons is on a distinguished road

I have a 2007 Outlook and had the low beam on the drivers side go out. I replaced the bulb myself thanks to excellent details provided on this site. Unforturnely the light went dead a week later. When I went to troubleshoot I found that one of the wires had broken at the bulb connector. I may have caused the wire to break when I changed the bulb, but I will blame it on a poor harness design, there was very little service loop provided and no strain relief at the connector. I purchased a new wiring harness assembly for $40 and it took about 30 minutes to replace the harness. I noticed the new wiring harness had been significantly strenghten at the connector, looks like GM realized the flaw in the design. Hopefully I will not have the same problem on the other side.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tlyons's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tlyons reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:16 AM   #27
kirkrisinger
kirkrisinger is on a distinguished road

2009 Outlook XR

I had the same exact problem listed in this forum on my 2009 Saturn Outlook XR. Both headlights went out, so I replaced the bulbs with H11. One of the new bulbs stopped working after 30 seconds, the other worked for a week or two. Each time I unscrewed the cap on the back of the headlight assembly I could smell the burning. Sure enough when I shined a flashlight in to look at the wiring harness they looked exactly like the pictures in this forum. They are burned/melted more so on one side of the harness than the other, just like the pictures show.

We took it to the dealer who said that we would have to pay $388 to replace the wiring harnesses for both sides. We picked it up last night and it seems to be working fine now. I didn't look to see if the harness is different or not.

I called back to our GM dealer today just to tell them that there is a TSB and that it appears that some dealers have been taking care of the problem for free, even if out of warranty. I hope they call back and tell me they will refund the money, but I doubt it. We already have 48k miles, so we are way past the 36k mile warranty.

If the dealer does not reimburse us for the $388, I will definitely file with the NTSB.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kirkrisinger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kirkrisinger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kirkrisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:22 PM   #28
djhhjd
djhhjd is on a distinguished road

2009 Outlook XR
2005 VUE 3.5L

I've had the drivers side got out twice in the past 2 months but, NO burning smell and NO melted harness what so ever, so my guess is that the 1st bulb just burned out and I must of touched the glass on the replacement one when I installed it. If it goes out again I'll have the dealer look at it and if it goes out after my warranty is out I'll go with Xenon HID's. Forget about paying the dealer $388. HID kits cost around $150.

Member of the "discontinued" club!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to djhhjd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help djhhjd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
djhhjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:37 PM   #29
kirkrisinger
kirkrisinger is on a distinguished road

2009 Outlook XR

UPDATE: I spoke with the GM service department that replaced both wiring harnesses (see my post earlier today). They said that if the car was closer to being under warranty, they would have probably done it for free, but since we are at 48k miles (12k over warranty) they said they couldn't cover it. They did say that the replacement harnesses are an upgrade and should not have any additional problems. He did say that we had to use factory lightbulbs that are not more than 65 watts. He said that if we use the blue headlights or other higher intensity bulbs that are over 65 watts that it will melt the harness.

He said that if we here at Saturn Fans are able to log enough complaints with the NHTSA that GM will put out a recall and that contained in that recall will be a reimbursement notice. So, I will be sure to file a complaint and also to save the receipt for possible reimbursement.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kirkrisinger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kirkrisinger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kirkrisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:35 AM   #30
Saturn lover NC
Saturn lover NC is on a distinguished road

I am an owner of a 2008 Saturn Outlook, about a month ago the low beam light went out on the passenger side of my car. Last night the low beam light went out on the driver's side. Before when the light went out on the passenger side, I took it to the GM dealer to have the light replaced. The service guy came to the waiting room and informed me that it wasn't the bulb, but the harness. He then told me that my warrenty had just ended and the it would cost me $799.00 to replace it. I could not replace it because of the price. Now I have 2 and I know I will not be able to afford it. Could somebody please tell me if ther is a recall on this problem. I know it can't be normal for this to happen. I have to drive to work at nights and I have to use the high beam lights, and I don't need a ticket for using high beams all the time. I need help

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn lover NC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn lover NC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn lover NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:32 PM   #31
saturnptsguy
saturnptsguy is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

Unfortunately, there hasn't been a recall for these headlamp harnesses. The reason the price is so high is because,according to GM, the entire front bumper has to be taken off of the car to get to the headlights.

If I were you, I would probably go get a price at another dealer or a different mechanic. $799.00 sounds outrageous to get this done. The parts per side only cost $60.00 and according to GM, they should only be charging you a total of 2 hours of labor to do both sides. With the average labor rate and parts, you should be just above $300.00 or so.

Saturn Parts Guy

2001 Saturn SC2 Yellow Special Edition
107K and still going strong...

"I say, I say, I say Saturn" R.I.P. 1985-2010

Email me at jduffy@sunnysideauto.com for Saturn parts...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnptsguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnptsguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnptsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:19 PM   #32
rlogan
rlogan is on a distinguished road

Well, I pulled my passenger side light apart this evening...and what do I find but a burnt plug. The dealers are idiots, I'll just order the harness and do it myself. Not sure why they want that much if you are only replacing the part at the headlight. There is a plug just under the headlight where the headlight harness can be disconnected. It's just fed up into the housing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rlogan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rlogan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rlogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:03 PM   #33
egates
egates is on a distinguished road

My 2007 XR AWD is in the shop right now for a number of things including the driver's side headlight. It's been out for a few weeks and two or three times over the course of those 3-4 weeks, it would actually come on for one trip and then be out again. I've asked them to check the harness and if its bad, I'll add my voice to the recall. The dealer told me the bulb is about $120. That's pretty steep. I saw the TSB on this that indicated the labor should be something like 1.3 or 1.7 hours - what have other people been charged? At $120 an hour (its a dealer) that's a ton of money just for a new headlight. Also, if there is a TSB, I know the dealer will try to say its not important so how does one respond to that. Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to egates's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help egates reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
egates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:28 PM   #34
egates
egates is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by egates View Post
My 2007 XR AWD is in the shop right now for a number of things including the driver's side headlight. It's been out for a few weeks and two or three times over the course of those 3-4 weeks, it would actually come on for one trip and then be out again. I've asked them to check the harness and if its bad, I'll add my voice to the recall. The dealer told me the bulb is about $120. That's pretty steep. I saw the TSB on this that indicated the labor should be something like 1.3 or 1.7 hours - what have other people been charged? At $120 an hour (its a dealer) that's a ton of money just for a new headlight. Also, if there is a TSB, I know the dealer will try to say its not important so how does one respond to that. Thanks.
$101 to replace left side low beam bulb. they did not find any problems with the wiring harness. since I expecting double that I'm happier but I'm still not happy with GM for engineering a system that requires $100 just to change a little bulb.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to egates's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help egates reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
egates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:49 PM   #35
bullofthewoods
bullofthewoods is on a distinguished road

My passenger side low beam went out about 2 weeks ago. My 2008 Outlook is 39 months old with 19000 miles. Called the dealer and they quoted me $120 to change the bulb, $460 if the harness needed changing. They would split the harness 50/50 with me for a total cost of $230. I took my fender liner screws out and removed the bulb and harness. Harness was melted. Will replace with new harness and saved $200 doing it myself. Will see tomorrow if they will help with the cost of the harness or if I need to order one online. Thanks for all the help everyone.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bullofthewoods's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bullofthewoods reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bullofthewoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:23 PM   #36
vikingca
vikingca is on a distinguished road

2009 Outlook XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by quint9 View Post
Please help in initiating a safety recall of the Saturn Outlook by the NHTSA to have the headlight wiring harness replaced with a more heavy duty model. Please go to the NHTSA web site and click on "RECALLS" and "REPORT A SAFETY COMPLAINT" and take a few minutes to fill out the form. The more Outlook owners who have had this problem that complain, the more chance we have of GM issuing a recall to address this issue.

I just bought a used 2007 Outlook and about one week later the headlight went out. I researched here to find out how to change it (OMG that is insane to have to take off a tire to change a headlight!!!). Upon removal, I found the wiring harness was melted like so many of you have experienced with your Outlooks. I also found out the hard way that you should be careful in the removal of the lamp from it's seat because you can easily rip the wires from the harness. I had to rig up a new harness of my own and I extended the wires so that I will have an easier time changing that light next time. It took some time to get the wire extensions crimped onto the old wires but I got it done and the light is still working one week later.

Please fill out that form at the NHTSA so we can all get new wiring harnesses.

Thanks

I today made contact with GM Canada regarding a burnt connector on a Outlook 2009 and got a replay that they have issued a customer satisfaction recal for two items: N110055 low beam headlamp inoperative - replace connector and wire harnes.
N100287 premature timing chain wear - program engin control.

Hope this helps all.

Regards

Vikingca

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vikingca's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vikingca reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vikingca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:13 AM   #37
mwoodfield
mwoodfield is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
2009 Outlook XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingca View Post
I today made contact with GM Canada regarding a burnt connector on a Outlook 2009 and got a replay that they have issued a customer satisfaction recal for two items: N110055 low beam headlamp inoperative - replace connector and wire harnes.
N100287 premature timing chain wear - program engin control.

Hope this helps all.

Regards

Vikingca
Thanks for this info. I called my local GM dealer in Hot Springs, AR to ask if N110055 applied to our '09 Outlook. They asked the VIN and said it was covered. 20 min later my wife had it in the shop getting fixed for FREE!!!!

This site ROCKS. With 6 Saturns in the fleet, I would be lost without SaturnFans. Okay, so 2 of the 5 SC's are parts cars, so what!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mwoodfield's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mwoodfield reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mwoodfield is offline   Reply With Quote