SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2012, 11:32 PM   #1
rig76
rig76 is on a distinguished road

Default Rear Brake noise on 03 L200

Need some help. I changed out my rear brakes and drums last week. Now every time I come to a stop I get a steady clicking noise from both sides. I've taken off the drums and looked and the only thing I saw that was strange was that the clip that keeps the adjuster from spinning was bent on both sides. I'm thinking it has something to do with the adjuster, but I've tried installing it with the tab up and the tab down and cant tell a difference. I'm sure its something simple I'm missing. Any ideas, Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rig76's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rig76 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rig76 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2012, 12:18 AM   #2
flamin-gitaur
flamin-gitaur is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Rear Brake noise on 03 L200

When you installed the new brake shoes and replace the drum, did you re-adjust the spread on the shoes? You'll want to adjust the shoes so they seat up against the drum, they back off the adjusting wheel a few turns. Could be you have too much or not enough clearance with your new components.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to flamin-gitaur's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help flamin-gitaur reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
flamin-gitaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:34 PM   #3
born again
born again is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

There are a number of things that can go wrong when you reassemble the drum brakes. It is not obvious how all the parts go together. If not assembled properly, the self adjusters won't work and the handbrake lever doesn't settle in a reasonable stroke. Another problem is that the fork shaped end of the adjuster strut is a little too wide for some aftermarket brake shoes. Maybe this is a metric vs. inch thing. The small metal clip that engages the adjuster rachet wheel slips between the forked end and the shoe. Then there is no adjustment. The fix is to close up the fork a little bit so there isn't room for the clip.

The best thing when you do a job like this is to take some digital photos before you take things apart. I posted some pix of the assembly in a thread a while ago. Do a search.

BYW- I have deliberately not posted a How-To on the rear drums because of all the things that can go wrong. It is a much more difficult job than working on discs. Another reason is the near impossiblity of bleeding these things.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to born again's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help born again reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
born again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 05:15 PM   #4
rig76

OK. At my witts end here. Looked up the proper assembly of the brakes and everything looks good. Also, I took pics before I took the brakes off and everything is installed the same. I forgot to tell this earlier. When I first replaced the drums, there was no ticking. I put the new drums on and it ticked. So I put the old drums back on and no ticking. Did a straight swap, drum to drum, no adjustments. I thought maybe the new drums were out of round so I got some at a different store. I put them on and they sounded good for a few weeks and then the ticking returned. Is it possible that 2 sets of drums were out of round? Hard to beleive that, but why did it not tick with the old drums on? Unfortunatley I tossed the old drums or I would try it again. Today, I put a new set of shoes on it and readjusted everything. The tick is not as bad, but definitely is still there. You can also feel it in the pedal every time it ticks. What should I try next?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help rig76 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-20-2012, 08:31 PM   #5
rig76

Well, I didnt throw away my old drums. Tonight I put them back on and the clicking has gone away. Im taking the old drums back and sticking with the originals. Not sure what the difference is, but there definitely is a difference. I tried two different sets of hubs from two different stores and got the same results. Thanks for all the help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-14-2012, 06:16 PM   #6
blissj
blissj is on a distinguished road

I had the same thing happen on my 2003 Saturn L200. Here's what's going on...

When the brakes are applied, the brake shoe is trying to follow grooves in the drum. Grooves are helical in a new drum, due to the way they were machined (turned on a lathe). The brake shoe follows these grooves until it is pulled too far from its vertical plane and then it snaps back. Saturn drum brakes lack the typical slotted brake cylinder pistons that would prevent lateral shifting of the shoes. The cycle repeats over and over again, thus causing a snapping or thumping sound that varies with wheel speed. My L200 only had the the problem on the rear passenger side. Try better quality drums and shoes to fix the problem. Chinese parts are junk. The drums are usually out of round, as well.

blissj

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blissj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blissj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blissj is offline   Reply With Quote