SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2012, 04:02 PM   #1
omogenikky
omogenikky is on a distinguished road

Default Help with 99 SL2 ects

Hi,
My 99 SL2 has been shuddering and dying at stop lights. The coolant gauge spikes up to the halfway point as soon as I start the car.

I took it to the mechanic who said he couldn't find anything wrong with it and recommended a new motor for $2500. I started searching on the internet while I was there and asked him to check the ECTS.

He then said it was bad and he could change it for $174. I decided to bring it a short distance home and have a friend do it for me instead since it seems like an easy thing to do.

Thing is I think I have located the ECTS but I don't see any wires coming out from it. I'm attaching a picture.

Could the mechanic have pulled it out? I'm a young female and I felt like he was taking advantage of me.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.JPG (198.9 KB, 32 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to omogenikky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help omogenikky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
omogenikky is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2012, 04:17 PM   #2
dbsanfte
dbsanfte is on a distinguished road

1999 SW2
Default Re: Help with 99 SL2 ects

He was taking advantage of you.

Looks like the wiring is disconnected or missing. You might have to hunt around the engine bay for it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dbsanfte's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dbsanfte reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dbsanfte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:26 PM   #3
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

Fix it yourself, and find a new mechanic next time you actually have a serious problem. Heck, that's bad enough I'd find some online review sites & post some info to help others avoid said mechanic.

That said, time to help you fix the issue. What you took a picture of does appear to be the ECTS, and it is missing the wires running to it. I can't quite make out if the connector is removed, or if the wires have come out of the connector. Either way, you're going to need to find the loose wires to start.

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:09 PM   #4
ssewall
ssewall is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

This video shows how to do it, and also gives you a good look at what the connector looks like. The main harness is right next to the ECTS, it's probably hiding around there somewhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cucm7QGlsYs

I swear 9/10th of the posts I read mentioning a local mechanic involve said mechanic trying to cheat someone.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssewall's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssewall reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 05:22 PM   #5
dbsanfte
dbsanfte is on a distinguished road

1999 SW2

Confirmation bias; nobody comes online to brag about how they got a very fair deal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dbsanfte's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dbsanfte reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dbsanfte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:51 AM   #6
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by omogenikky View Post
Could the mechanic have pulled it out? I'm a young female and I felt like he was taking advantage of me.
It's a $10~$15 part, and in the video, is replaced in under 5 minutes.

It does not take any strength to do, so you or a friend could easily do this. IMO, the hardest part will be finding the loose wires. You can see a picture of the original wiring here (middle picture - note the original wires are yellow and black)
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=23

Quote:
I took it to the mechanic who said he couldn't find anything wrong with it and recommended a new motor for $2500.
That's horrible. You had a problem with the temp gauge readings, and he doesn't bother checking the temperature sensor? And goes right to "have to replace the engine"? I'd warn my friends away from that place.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:03 PM   #7
omogenikky

Thank you all for your responses. I really do appreciate the help.
I found two wires taped to the underside of the big black tube - black and yellow. I suppose those are the wires I need.

I was able to take the connector piece off the sensor - I attached the picture.

I just have one more question - do the wires go into the connector eyelets in any order or does the yellow have to go in e.g. right and black into left eyelet.

Also, I noticed that the connector I pulled off does not have a cap on it like in all the pictures I've seen. Can I still use it or am I better off getting a new connector.

Lastly, if I have to buy a new connector, where can I buy it from, autozone doesn't stock it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (67.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (62.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (63.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 4.JPG (198.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (70.8 KB, 6 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help omogenikky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-25-2012, 01:11 PM   #8
omogenikky

it doesn't have the white cap like in this attached picture from autozone
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (16.0 KB, 4 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-25-2012, 02:10 PM   #9
alordofchaos
alordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to beholdalordofchaos is a splendid one to behold

1998 SL2
1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by omogenikky View Post
I just have one more question - do the wires go into the connector eyelets in any order
any order is fine

Quote:
Also, I noticed that the connector I pulled off does not have a cap on it like in all the pictures I've seen. Can I still use it or am I better off getting a new connector.
I couldn't make out much from the picture, but if it were me - I'd get another connector, just in case I suspect the cap is to keep the wires protected from the elements and to keep the wires from pulling off

Quote:
Lastly, if I have to buy a new connector, where can I buy it from, autozone doesn't stock it.
If you're not adverse, best place to get them is from a junkyard - the kind that lets you in to pull your own parts. There is an identical sensor, the IATP (intake air temp sensor) located underneath the intaka air snorkel, behind the driver side headlight - should be soldered and shrink-wrapped like the video shows. Around here, the charge $1 for them as "pig-tails", and sometimes they don't bother charging

Otherwise, send a private message to Low Saturn - he sells them for around $7 shhipped

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote