SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2012, 10:15 AM   #1
TvSteve
Advanced Member
TvSteve is on a distinguished road

1999 SW2
1997 SW2
Default PCM generated radio noise on 146.520

I know this is a known problem but someone told me he saw a fix, filter, posted on the net. I searched high and low and had no hits. I'm taking the 99 SW2 on a road trip, NY to Colorado next month and having it would be useful. Any known workaround?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TvSteve's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TvSteve reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TvSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2012, 12:48 PM   #2
holydiver
holydiver is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: PCM generated radio noise on 146.520

I wish I knew...I have the same problem.

'96 Saturn SL2 5-Speed, 141k, Rebuilt Engine (My Toy)
'96 Saturn SL2 Automatic, 187k (The Project)
'02 Saturn L200 2.2L Auto, 119k (Dad's Car)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to holydiver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help holydiver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
holydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:41 PM   #3
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

what exactly is this problem? is it bad? first I've heard of it to be honest...

and if this is a radio frequency I'm guessing I need an advanced radio or a police scanner to pick it up eh?

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:57 PM   #4
TvSteve
Advanced Member

1999 SW2
1997 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureoflink View Post
what exactly is this problem? is it bad? first I've heard of it to be honest...

and if this is a radio frequency I'm guessing I need an advanced radio or a police scanner to pick it up eh?
You would need a 2 meter ham radio for this to be meaningful. The PCM is generating a rf signal that is picked up at 146.52 which just happens to be the ham 2 meter national call frequency. This has been a problem from day-1 of Saturn. I just brought it up after I was told of a possible cure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help TvSteve reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-07-2012, 09:58 PM   #5
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TvSteve View Post
You would need a 2 meter ham radio for this to be meaningful. The PCM is generating a rf signal that is picked up at 146.52 which just happens to be the ham 2 meter national call frequency. This has been a problem from day-1 of Saturn. I just brought it up after I was told of a possible cure.
Interesting... does anyone know what exactly is broadcasted?

97 SL2

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-07-2012, 10:07 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Probably the processor clock frequency. High Q series resonant circuit tuned to 146.52 across the battery positive - negative for starters.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:12 PM   #7
adventureoflink
Master Member

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Probably the processor clock frequency. High Q series resonant circuit tuned to 146.52 across the battery positive - negative for starters.
Gotcha. was gonna say it'd be interesting if it were like a subliminal message for those who have advanced radios (the HAM TvSteve speaks of, or a police scanner, etc) and somehow tuned into that frequency, it would loop "buy a saturn... buy a saturn.. a different kind of car from a different kind of company..." over and over and make you buy a Saturn.

97 SL2

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-07-2012, 10:19 PM   #8
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Seems to be much comment on the intertubes but a complete lack of coherent solutions. Not even any viable suggestions. Seems to be a problem on 146.79 as well which s also most likely the PCM clock in the vehicle involved.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-08-2012, 10:01 PM   #9
TvSteve
Advanced Member

1999 SW2
1997 SW2

Quote:
Seems to be much comment on the intertubes but a complete lack of coherent solutions. Not even any viable suggestions. Seems to be a problem on 146.79 as well which s also most likely the PCM clock in the vehicle involved.
Your right on both points. Signal is radiated off the pcm data lines, clearly created by a cpu clock.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-08-2012, 10:25 PM   #10
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Hi Q series resonant filter across battery to kill it. Batteries make real good filters but they are no good at the higher RF frequencies. The PCM cable in the car may be carefully wrapped with aluminum foil which should be grounded with a good ground strap, not wire.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-09-2012, 10:25 AM   #11
kg6mvb
kg6mvb will become famous soon enoughkg6mvb will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-1 Sedan
2002 SL2

Ouch...bad clock choice.

Along with the other suggestions, here are a few more.

An HT with the antenna removed makes a good signal sniffer. If you have too much signal, try the third harmonic (439.56).

If you can pinpoint a source, try putting a snap on ferrite core(s) over the lines as close to the source as possible. Shielding the lines can't hurt either. Finally experiment with antenna locations. You may not be able to get rid of it, but maybe you can lower the level a bit.

Good luck and 73

Proud to be a member of both the Ham Radio and Saturn Cults.

Avitar is a Saturn V rocket engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kg6mvb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kg6mvb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kg6mvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:46 AM   #12
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The Gen-2 PCM is inside the car and the entire wire bundle runs through the firewall close to the interior wire harness.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-09-2012, 12:53 PM   #13
TvSteve
Advanced Member

1999 SW2
1997 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mvb View Post
Ouch...bad clock choice.

Along with the other suggestions, here are a few more.

An HT with the antenna removed makes a good signal sniffer. If you have too much signal, try the third harmonic (439.56).

If you can pinpoint a source, try putting a snap on ferrite core(s) over the lines as close to the source as possible. Shielding the lines can't hurt either. Finally experiment with antenna locations. You may not be able to get rid of it, but maybe you can lower the level a bit.

Good luck and 73
Here's what I found. Holding an HT, no antenna, up to the OBD port S9+60, next to the battery leads 0. Have 2 snapon ferrites on all 4 of the pcm harnesses and reduced signal 2 s-units, still not usable. Signal is radiated from the data/clock lines and what makes it worse is I'm using a scanguage and a ultraguage, all plastic and excellent antennas. This is on a SW2 and antenna is on rear of roof fed with double shielded coax. Just a note, there was a posting on one of the ham boards how a fellows wife's S car would stop his scanner turning into the driveway.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-09-2012, 06:10 PM   #14
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The digital data is at the data port and your scangauge and ultragauge are not helping at all. I would disconnect them and see if there is any change at all. There is only a single data line in the ALDL port unless the SDM has the same clock.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-09-2012, 07:59 PM   #15
TvSteve
Advanced Member

1999 SW2
1997 SW2

Quote:
The digital data is at the data port and your scangauge and ultragauge are not helping at all. I would disconnect them and see if there is any change at all. There is only a single data line in the ALDL port unless the SDM has the same clock.
Disconnecting makes a slight change but not worth the loss of information. If I didn't have the gauges I would just cut the data lines at the PCM and replace with shielded cable.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-09-2012, 09:56 PM   #16
OldNuc

1998 SC2

That may or may not fix it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!