SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-29-2012, 01:18 PM   #41
SoundGuy
SoundGuy is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 AURA XE
Default Re: Lights and their 'Functions'

Related to the orange lights and your turn signal lights, Saturn screwed this one up. People expect to see a corner light as a turn signal light but on the VUE, it's straight on. I had a lot of people look at my funny when I would slow down at a two-way stop when I was going to turn, even though I had my signal on.

I checked around this forum and found a way to re-wired my turn/orange lights. Now, when I put on my turn signal, the two lights alternately flash. Search this forum if your interested in doing the same. It's a simple cut and tape job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrelirwin View Post
I'm still a little confused about the purpose of a few of the factory head-lights.

Attached is a picture of the front headlight assembly, with numbers 1-5.

Here's what I know:

1: Highbeams...only come on when light stick is pulled in.
2: Lowbeams/Daytime Running Lights...possible to turn off?
3: Signal and...?
4: What purpose does this have? When is it on?
5: Fog lights, only come on when button is pushed.

Also attached is the light stick on my column.

Basically what I would like to know is a (owners manual) description of what each light does, when each turns on, and what I really don't need.

Example; I'm doing my corner markers black this weekend...but can i just pull the bulbs so no amber shows through? Do I need them? Do they serve a legal or functioning purpose?

Thanks,

Ty

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SoundGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SoundGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SoundGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2012, 03:52 PM   #42
tyrelirwin
tyrelirwin is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE Red Line

Ok, did my alternating corner mod,

today I'm going for the quad-mod.

We'll see how it goes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tyrelirwin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tyrelirwin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tyrelirwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:47 PM   #43
tyrelirwin

2004 VUE Red Line

Far2: does this mean I have to wire the driver and passenger hls together?

Looking at your diagram, it looks like I need pink and orange from one hl and dark blue from the other?

Can you clarify?

Can all 3 wires come from either just the passenger or just the driver hl?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help tyrelirwin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-21-2012, 06:03 PM   #44
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Far2: does this mean I have to wire the driver and passenger hls together?

Looking at your diagram, it looks like I need pink and orange from one hl and dark blue from the other?

Can you clarify?

Can all 3 wires come from either just the passenger or just the driver hl?
I assume you're going to connect the corner markers as turn signals - if so - both sides are separate and independent for turn signals.

I rarely visit forum but respond to private messages (PM). PM creates email to phone & please include email address with question. Avoid using Visitor Message feature ... I almost never check those.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:20 PM   #45
tyrelirwin

2004 VUE Red Line

Should have clarified:

I meant for the quad HL wiring.

I already aced the corner marker mod!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-21-2012, 06:28 PM   #46
tyrelirwin

2004 VUE Red Line

my driver side hl has 4 wires:

pink and oarnage from the drivers hi-beam.
blue and orange from the drivers lo-beam.

So I tap into these blue/pink/orange(hi or lo?).

Is that right?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-21-2012, 09:24 PM   #47
tyrelirwin

2004 VUE Red Line

Got it!

All done on the one side, drivers in this case.
Used my DRL relay, ran a ground, my wires as follows:

Pink (Hi-beam) to pin #85
Orange (Lo-beam) to pin #86
Blue (Lo-Beam) to pin #87
Ground (new) to pin #30

Tell me what you think!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg quads.jpg (79.2 KB, 32 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-22-2012, 08:36 AM   #48
SoundGuy
SoundGuy is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 AURA XE

Looks sweet.

Quote:
Tell me what you think!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SoundGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SoundGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SoundGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:44 AM   #49
RedGeminiPA
RedGeminiPA will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Got it!

All done on the one side, drivers in this case.
Used my DRL relay, ran a ground, my wires as follows:

Pink (Hi-beam) to pin #85
Orange (Lo-beam) to pin #86
Blue (Lo-Beam) to pin #87
Ground (new) to pin #30

Tell me what you think!
So... what did you end up doing to maintain your DRLs?

Avid Apple, car and vacuum enthusiast. Don't hate! ;)

Current:
'04 FWD 3.5L

Previous:
'05 AWD Red Line
'02 L200

http://www.facebook.com/SaturnFansNorthEast

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RedGeminiPA's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RedGeminiPA reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RedGeminiPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:04 AM   #50
tyrelirwin

2004 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGeminiPA View Post
So... what did you end up doing to maintain your DRLs?
Didn't. Haha.

I just don't worry about it. I double checked the legality of it all....

says vehicles after '92 or whatever "need to have DRL's installed".

Doesn't say I need to use them.

So, I just leave my lights on the 'auto' function, and use high powered brights when I need them.

It's great. And if I need lights during the day, I just flick the switch.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-19-2012, 11:34 AM   #51
RedGeminiPA

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Didn't. Haha.

I just don't worry about it. I double checked the legality of it all....

says vehicles after '92 or whatever "need to have DRL's installed".

Doesn't say I need to use them.

So, I just leave my lights on the 'auto' function, and use high powered brights when I need them.

It's great. And if I need lights during the day, I just flick the switch.
Ya know, I just gave this some thought, and I'm thinking this might do the trick... try to follow me lol

Remember the switchback bulbs discussed in the other thread?

Basically this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GP-Thunder-3...ht_2560wt_1413

What if... you used the bulb above, but added the Universal DRL-1 Kit from this company?

(on the left side, click on Daytime Running Lights, then DRL-1 Universal)
http://www.webelectricproducts.com/

I think this could do exactly what is needed/wanted... and for probably under $100 - total...

Current:
'04 FWD 3.5L

Previous:
'05 AWD Red Line
'02 L200

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help RedGeminiPA reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-19-2012, 12:14 PM   #52
tyrelirwin

2004 VUE Red Line

Thats a great idea.

I'll have to give that some thought.

Thanks for the input!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-19-2012, 04:48 PM   #53
RedGeminiPA

2004 VUE 3.5L

These are the instructions, copied from the site. I've been looking over this setup to see if there's anything that signals potential problems doing this conversion.:

The DRL-1 module is designed to convert the front turn signal lamps into Daytime Running Lights. The module comes with all the necessary wiring and connectors and can be installed into almost any year or model of any car, minivan or truck. The unit can be installed under the hood, near the left turn signal. Installation should take about a hour. You will need a wire cutter/strippers and a pair of pliers to make the connections. Read the instructions carefully and familiarize yourself with the module.

This is a picture of the module. The module controls the operation of both turn signals.

You will be making four connections to one side of the car, and only two on the other. You will install the module on one side of the car, then you will run the extra red/dark brown paired wire to the other side to make the connections to that turn signal. In addition to the connections at the turn signals, you will need to locate a wire that is hot when the Ignition is on. Many cars have a fuse box in the engine compartment. You may be able to find a switched (ignition on) circuit there. Or, if necessary, you can run a wire into the interior of the car, and connect to the radio or other circuit that comes on when the car is running. Select a circuit that's fused for at least 15 amps. Follow the step-by-step instructions carefully, and you won't have any problems.

The Synchronizing Wire

The DRL-1 module can be wired so that both left and right lamps are synchronized. In other words, when in DRL mode, if you turn on a signal, the other lamp turns off. After the signal is complete, both lamps come back on in DRL mode. The reason this is done is because there can be a situation if an oncoming driver just glances at your car while you have a signal on. If he looks when the turn signal is in the off cycle, he will see the other lamp on, and may assume you are turning the other way. In synchronized mode, the other lamp turns off, so there is no confusion.

In non-synchronized mode, the opposite lamp will stay in DRL mode when a turn signal is in use. This is the way turn signal DRLs operate on today's automobiles.

You can program the DRL-1 module to work in synchronized or non-synchronized mode. As you receive the module, it is programmed in non-synchronized mode. If you want this mode, then you can skip this section and continue with the installation.

If you want the unit to operate in synchronized mode, use a quick-splice to connect the white wire to the green module wire. This is not a permanent setting. If you later wish to go back to non-synchronized mode, simply disconnect the two wires.

Installation

These instructions assume that you will be installing the module near the left turn signal. If there is more room on the right side of the car, simply replace the word "Left" with the word "Right" in the instructions. When installing the unit, be cautious to mount the device out of harms way. The unit is weather resistant, but it is not water tight. Attaching the module body to the wiring harness of the turn signal will work, as long as it's protected from rain and snow. You may lengthen any of the wires in order to place the unit in a preferred place. Use 18ga. primary wire, or a good quality speaker wire. Just make sure you mark them clearly, so that you make the proper connections. If you mount the module body outside the car (like near the bumper) be sure to position the module with the wires coming out at the bottom. This way, if the unit gets wet, the water won't seep in between the wires.

Left Side

1) Locate the wires for the left TURN/PARKING lamp. If you have a wiring diagram for the car, this will help you identify these wires. If not, then you may need to use a meter or test light to identify the Turn, Park and Ground wires. Refer to the drawing below for the proper connections.

Make the following connections to the module:

2) Using a quick-connector, connect the GREEN wire from the module to the GROUND wire.

3) Using a quick-connector, connect the BLUE wire to the PARK wire.

4) Cut the TURN wire, and strip 1/2" of insulation from each end. Using a wire nut, connect the PINK wire to the TURN wire that comes from the car wiring harness. Using another wire nut, connect the VIOLET wire to the TURN wire that goes to the TURN SIGNAL LAMP.

Right Side

1) Using wire nuts, connect the RED/BROWN EXTENSION wire to the RED and BROWN module wires and route the extension to the other side of the car.

2) Locate the wires for the right TURN/PARKING lamp. Cut the TURN wire, and strip 1/2" of insulation from each end.

3) Using a wire nut, connect the RED wire to the TURN wire that comes from the car wiring harness. Using another wire nut, connect the BROWN wire to the TURN wire that goes to the TURN SIGNAL LAMP

Connecting to the Ignition Wire

The YELLOW wire coming from the module needs to be connected to a switched power circuit. Locate a circuit that is fused for at least 15 amps. An additional length of wire is included in order to extend this wire. Use the appropriate connectors to make this connection.

Testing
Start the car. Both turn signals should be on. Turn on the left turn signal and see that the left signal blinks. Turn off the signal and after a couple seconds, the turn signal light will come on as a DRL. Turn on the right turn signal and check for proper operation.

Turn on the parking lights. Both turn signal filaments should go off, and only the park filament should be on. Turn the lights off and the turn signal filaments should come on as DRLs. If something isn't working, double check your wiring for errors.

Use the supplied wire ties to neaten up the wires and to fasten the module to the wiring harness. DO NOT over tighten the tie wraps that hold the module to the harness. If you damage the body of the module, the unit may not function properly or may allow moisture into the system.

Current:
'04 FWD 3.5L

Previous:
'05 AWD Red Line
'02 L200

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-09-2012, 02:59 PM   #54
tyrelirwin

2004 VUE Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGeminiPA View Post
Ordered these today...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!