SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 05-06-2012, 09:41 PM   #1
dougalldc3000
dougalldc3000 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
Default 99 SL2 wont start!!!!

What's up guys.

So I just replaced my struts on my 99sl2 with 177k miles on it. It had been sitting in my garage for about a week before I was able to turn it on again. Once I turned it on, it started briefly (got about 1000rpms) and died immediately after - its a 5spd FYI. So I know its gotta be a fuel problem. I have replaced the whole electrical system pretty much (battery, starter, alternator, ignition module, spark plugs, plug wires, cps) several months ago so definitely couldn't be that cuz it gets charge. Fuel pump goes for 2-3 seconds when car turns on so fuse and relay are good. Fuel gauge shows fuel above the first 1/4 mark and I heard fuel splash around when jacking the car up to replace the filter which didn't make it start... So all I can tell is that its the injectors or lines. This is strange too cuz the car should still turn on even with one faulty injector... My dad and I also notice grayish smoke coming out the exhaust when attempting to turn on car...

So what is going on???
Thanks yall for any help!

'99 SL2 5-spd DOHC 1.9L 4 cyl w/ lots of mods
'13 Dodge Dart 6-spd 1.4L MultiAir Turbo

#StrictlyAmerican

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dougalldc3000's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dougalldc3000 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dougalldc3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2012, 10:06 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 99 SL2 wont start!!!!

Pull plugs and see if they're wet or dry. Wet would mean a flooded engine. Dry would mean a possible blown injector fuse.

If you never did this, check the coolant sensor for the original round nosed one. Replace it immediately if it is with a flat nosed brass one. A new thermostat would help too. Both run the engine rich and sometimes flood during start ups.

One way to temporarily stop flooding after several failed starts would be to hold the pedal to the floor while starting; the injectors are shut off to allow only air to dilute the flooded engine to help it start up. Once it fires up, release the pedal for a normal warm up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cracked ects.jpg (39.2 KB, 6 views)

*The CPS is the heart of the entire EFI system. No cps = dead EFI system*
*There's more to a/c than just a few cans of refrigerant*
*There's more to brakes than just replacing parts*

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:58 AM   #3
dougalldc3000

1999 SL2

Thanks man. I'll check the plugs when I get home. I also replaced the coolant sensor awhile ago so that should be good. Let you know the results soon.

#StrictlyAmerican

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help dougalldc3000 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-07-2012, 08:57 PM   #4
dougalldc3000

1999 SL2

So it wasn't it the plugs but I floored the gas pedal on startup and it started right up and has ever since.

I guess the fuel retracts after the car hasn't been running awhile hehe
Thanks for your help man finally get to drive an excellent transmission again

#StrictlyAmerican

REWARD EXCELLENCE!